Please help me decide between two job offers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fullmetal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have two job offers and I am up every night trying to decide which one to choose.

JOB1 is a hospitalist position. 7 on 7 off. 7am to 7pm. $256,000 per year. $10,000 sign on bonus. Two weeks holiday. Small (crummy) town about an hour's drive out of a (small) city that I don't really like. Ok-ish benefits. Claims that the patient load is between 5 and 20 patients per day but I have a feeling its usually on the higher end of things. Crappy EMR. Alternating admissions shared with one other doc. No procedures required. Open ICU.

JOB2 is an outpatient only position. 9-5 M-F + one weekday evening + every other Saturday. Great benefits. 3 weeks vacation + all major holidays. Brand new clinic. Best EMR. Expected to see about 20 patients per day (20 minute appointment slots). 50%+ of the patient population speaks a random other language only. Pays only $160,000. No sign on bonus. Located within 30 minutes of a "Tier 1" city.

My ideal job is probably similar to JOB2 but was hoping to find something that pays 200k+ in a more suburban location with mostly English speaking patients. Haven't found that yet. Probably because I need a visa.

I am single in my early 30s.

Any thoughts?

FullMetal

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a pgy 3 fm for reference

Both these jobs sound terrible.

Job 1: small town hospitalist should probably pay better. Probably should be capturing salary in 300k range or more, or negotiating loan repayment, retention bonuses, etc to a similar total. Open ICU in a hospital with 50 beds and 2 rooms is whatever, but tread carefully with open ICU at a bigger hospital. Are you required to run codes and rapids? For 256k and crappy emr, no thanks. Their estimate of 5-20 patients is too wide a range. I smell B.S.

Job 2: I'll let somebody with ambulatory experience tackle this one since I signed up to be a hospitalist, but based on my research and interviews (i did apply heavily to ambulatory practices also) this level of income sounds like you should be IN the tier 1 city, not near it...

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone.

I have two job offers and I am up every night trying to decide which one to choose.

JOB1 is a hospitalist position. 7 on 7 off. 7am to 7pm. $256,000 per year. $10,000 sign on bonus. Two weeks holiday. Small (crummy) town about an hour's drive out of a (small) city that I don't really like. Ok-ish benefits. Claims that the patient load is between 5 and 20 patients per day but I have a feeling its usually on the higher end of things. Crappy EMR. Alternating admissions shared with one other doc. No procedures required. Open ICU.

JOB2 is an outpatient only position. 9-5 M-F + one weekday evening + every other Saturday. Great benefits. 3 weeks vacation + all major holidays. Brand new clinic. Best EMR. Expected to see about 20 patients per day (20 minute appointment slots). 50%+ of the patient population speaks a random other language only. Pays only $160,000. No sign on bonus. Located within 30 minutes of a "Tier 1" city.

My ideal job is probably similar to JOB2 but was hoping to find something that pays 200k+ in a more suburban location with mostly English speaking patients. Haven't found that yet. Probably because I need a visa.

Any thoughts?

FullMetal
I feel badly for you op. I suspect it is a visa issue as I would not consider either job. Hopefully someone with experience can help here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, neither sound particularly enticing or even at standard compensation rates.

Reactions: 1 user
I would take job 1 easily over job 2... job 2 is more demanding than you might thing. Weekday call sucks, especially since you gotta work a full day the next day plus working a weekend also sucks especially for low pay. also think about job 2, the language barriers will slow you down

Job 1.
Both jobs will be less than ideal. However, at least when you off with Job 1 you will be off. Better for your mental health while you wind down the Visa clock. Try push for more vacation time. 2 weeks? Ouch.

You will have trouble finding a job outside a desirable city that would help you get a Visa and also pays well, so you will have to settle.

It seems location matters a lot to you, which makes Job 2 desirable. But that pay rate is horrible, especially since you will work over 40hrs each week. Also, I disagree with what someone says above, 256k would be the expected rate in a rural hospital on the eastern coast. Just work thru Job 1, get your Visa, then jobs will open up for you and you move to your desired area.

Another thought...what is the minimum time commitment req'd for Job 1 in terms of years? are you required to stay for 2-3 years? might end up hating it and if you want to leave, usually you have to pay it back at least in part. On the bright side, you have 7 days off, enough time to jump on a plane to somewhere far more exciting

The time commitment is 3 years. That's the problem. I'll try anything for one year. If it sucks I'll suck it up, collect my money, and move on. But 3 years is a big investment in a potentially sucky job.

Location is probably most important to me. JOB1 one does give every other week off, but I don't think it's realistic for me to travel every single off week. That means a lot of weeks I'm stuck at home in a town I hate doing nothing, for 3 years.

JOB2 is located in a better area, but the pay is terrible. I don't like the clinic's set up either. There's no great dedicated space for me to sit and chart. They want me to do it in the patient rooms. And I want to help the under-served, but having to use a translator phone on every other patient is going to be draining.

Sigh.

Well thanks for the input everyone.

Another thought...what is the minimum time commitment req'd for Job 1 in terms of years? are you required to stay for 2-3 years? might end up hating it and if you want to leave, usually you have to pay it back at least in part. On the bright side, you have 7 days off, enough time to jump on a plane to somewhere far more exciting
as someone needing a visa, you cannot leave; you are stuck there for 3 years. My immigration lawyer said it is a huge deal if you try to leave your job.

For Job 1 could you live in a more desirable location a few hours away and then rent a small apartment or motel for the 7 days on inpatient? The commute would suck and you would have to pay for two places but it would allow you to spend your days off in a more enjoyable environment.

Regarding job 2, Take it from a Navy doc that there is nothing like being underpaid and undervalued in a job you can’t quit that really ups the burnout.

Hi everyone.

Any thoughts?

FullMetal

Damn I didn't know they could low ball you that hard if you required a visa. How much do Visas usually cost institutions? Is there a number amount anyone know?

Damn I didn't know they could low ball you that hard if you required a visa. How much do Visas usually cost institutions? Is there a number amount anyone know?

Fees vary from sponsor to sponsor based on the exchange category, the sponsor’s program, program duration, etc. Can't imagine it being more than a couple of grand. The real thing the systems know is these docs are at their mercy, hence the low ball. But again, its more business related than actual medicine.