Please help! Case report!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReesesDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I saw a very rare ophthalmology case with my attending a few months ago, and we submitted the abstract for the case report.

My attending just emailed me today and said that it was accepted as a presentation, and that he needs me to make a powerpoint presentation by next week!

I have never made a presentation for a case report, and I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any guidelines, templates, or a presentation that I can look at?

Thanks so much.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats.

Is the powerpoint presentation for the conference? If so, the conference may have guidelines for you. Search for 'Grand Rounds' presentations. Typically, they will have
1. disclosures (financial)
2. patient history (cc, hpi, poh, pmh, psh, fh, sh, ros, allg, meds)
3. ocular exam (8 point)
4. photos of finding
5. discussion of differential diagnosis
6. discussion of actual diagnosis
7. patient treatment/prognosis
8. summary slide
9. references slide

Best to ask your attending.

Congrats.

Is the powerpoint presentation for the conference? If so, the conference may have guidelines for you. Search for 'Grand Rounds' presentations. Typically, they will have
3. ocular exam (8 point)
4. photos of finding
8. summary slide
9. references slide

Thank you so much; that helps a lot considering I've never done this before. I've tried to ask my attending, but he's super busy and is constantly running around haha. I even stalked him and showed up at his office today, but he talked to me for 30 seconds and had a meeting.

The powerpoint is for the Macula Society Conference. I can try to look for guidelines on their website; thats a great idea thank you. Heard anything about this conference/paper? Is it good?

Also, just a question for my own sake--is this really going to be helpful for residency? I'm literally killing myself (currently on surgery rotation), and I'm going to basically give up on sleep/social life for a week until this powerpoint is done. Would help me to know that it is actually going to be worthwhile haha.

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much; that helps a lot considering I've never done this before. I've tried to ask my attending, but he's super busy and is constantly running around haha. I even stalked him and showed up at his office today, but he talked to me for 30 seconds and had a meeting.

The powerpoint is for the Macula Society Conference. I can try to look for guidelines on their website; thats a great idea thank you. Heard anything about this conference/paper? Is it good?

Also, just a question for my own sake--is this really going to be helpful for residency? I'm literally killing myself (currently on surgery rotation), and I'm going to basically give up on sleep/social life for a week until this powerpoint is done. Would help me to know that it is actually going to be worthwhile haha.

Thanks again.

Unless you already have a bunch of research this will definitely help! This IS what people mean when they say "do research." On your app this will go under research. You'll be asked about it during interviews. It's worth it. Sorry about gen surg :scared:!

A case report/presentation is helpful but by no means a unique opportunity. I'd say that the bigger concern is the attending's expectations. Presumably this is someone who may be in a Position to help you down the road and it might be hard to justify backing out after making the commitment to submit the report. You could always see if he or she would mind you bringing in someone else to assist with the preparation if you truly don't have time.

Congrats.

3. ocular exam (8 point)
4. photos of finding
8. summary slide
9. references slide

Sounds very similar to a ground rounds presentation.

I was describing a basic grand rounds presentation. Each conference may have their own guidelines (format and length of presentation), so I would definitely check with the Macula Society or ask another retina attending.