Please help a third year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chayne

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the schedule of the institution at which I would like to do an away path elective next year is offset from ours by one week, so I need two free blocks in my schedule in a row to do one rotation over there. That means the first time I would be able to rotate at this other institution, barring a rescheduling miracle I'm working on, is the month of January.

I am optimistic about my chances of getting an interview at this institution, but would it still be helpful in moving up their rank list to do a rotation there so late in the year? I guess I would be in their face, for better or worse, right around the time they were deciding their rank lists. Any thoughts? I'd prefer to do it earlier (sooner after I had rotated in path at my own institution) and stay in touch afterwards but that is not how the fourth year lottery cookie crumbled! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, your question is a good one...hopefully others will chime in here, but it seems to me that January would be pretty late to do an away rotation at a place you're hoping to match. Most people do those in the summer or fall and Sept is the critical time when interview invites go out. In general it's good to your path experience early, before personal statement and interview time; also, they will have already filled up all their interview slots by January, so the helpfulness of the rotation in terms of tipping the scales in your favor will be minimal. If you're right and you have no problem getting an interview prior to that, then it might be helpful in terms of getting them to rank you higher, and it would certainly help you know how you'd like to rank them. But if you have any choice at all in the matter, try to do it earlier. Have you spoken with a couple of course directors for the other electives you want to do? You might find a couple that are more flexible than you think and will let you do something like take off a week early, and make it up when you get back (or not at all, depending on how cool they are). One of my course directors actually let me miss 2 weeks out of four and make up the time during a vacation (sucked, but at least I got to go where I needed to go). They key here is NOT to go to the administration about it, as they will likely be hardasses...just keep it between you and the course director and you'll be fine.

I would agree with wheels here. If your goal is to get letters of recommendation from this away rotation, especially, then it is in your best interest to do this rotation VERY early in the 4th year (i.e., you should schedule it within the first 3 months of 4th year). Doing the rotation in January would essentially rule out any chances of getting a letter. However, it could possibly bump you up the rank list if they like you. In your case, if you are set on January, then the advantage would be that you could interview on a random day in January while you are already in town there.

I was reading your post and was wondering if there was any way that you could just do 3 weeks at this away rotation and trick your school into thinking that you did a whole rotation? I would hope that some of your classmates or those who are more senior to you in med school have found ways to skirt around this issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the folks at my institution have been faced with this problem. If it is available to you, one solution is to do a "reading month" (read: blow-off month) either before or after your desired away rotation. The time "commitment" for such a month can be so flexible (read: nonexistent) that you can go off and do whatever the hell you want.

Another option we have would be to do, say 3 weeks of a home elective, then 4 weeks of the away elective, then 1 week of the home elective to finish it up.

In any case, you can't be the first person at your school to be faced with this problem. Have you spoken to your curriculum office about it?

Edit: Also, Andy's suggestion about doing 3 weeks away is also a good one. My girlfriend just got back from 4 weeks in South America. Three were spent doing MFM in an urban clinic (usually just mornings) and the last was spent touring the country. Not too shabby!

Which direction are the timeschedules offset? If the other school begins earlier, and the schedule is amenable to it, you could attempt to make it your first rotation. That would seem to be the simplest solution.

Then again, I dunno how y'all set up the rotation schedules. Maybe there are core rotations to take before you can do electives. I plead pharmaceutical ignorance!

Havarti666 said:
Edit: Also, Andy's suggestion about doing 3 weeks away is also a good one. My girlfriend just got back from 4 weeks in South America. Three were spent doing MFM in an urban clinic (usually just mornings) and the last was spent touring the country. Not too shabby!

Noticed the "my girlfriend just got back" and not "we just got back"
Hmmmmmm :wow:

Umm, dude, not to throw bad karma on your whole deal, but when I was med students chicks did rotations in south america for only 2 reasons: one, to smoke out and two, to get boned by latin guys with 12 inch slongs and typically these go hand in hand. (didnt realize you young whipper-snappers are calling this "touring" now)

Imagine if some guy said, honey I think Im gonna do a month rotation in a Bangkok brothel, likely wouldnt go over too well.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news if these thoughts just now dawned on you.

I agree with those above, try to do the rotation early if you can. Definately try before your interview. That will make interview day easier since you will know the place and the people and you will be fresh in everyone's minds.

Havarti666 said:
one solution is to do a "reading month"

If I remember your previous posts correctly, you're at MCV, correct? I have several good friends at MCV. They've definitely enjoyed their "reading months".

Four of my classmates just got back from Thailand. I'm sure the brothels would be to your liking. Unless, that is, you're not really into the "boy" part of "ladyboy".

LADoc00 said:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news if these thoughts just now dawned on you.

If you really must know, my girlfriend is half Peruvian and went with her sister to stay with a family friend in Lima. Given her nerdish upbringing, I was pleased to hear that she eventually spent four days getting hammered and staying out until obscene hours.

As for being worried, well sorry man, my dick's just not that small. Perhaps you can relate.

LADoc00 said:
(didnt realize you young whipper-snappers are calling this "touring" now)

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

Havarti666 said:
Four of my classmates just got back from Thailand. I'm sure the brothels would be to your liking. Unless, that is, you're not really into the "boy" part of "ladyboy".

If you really must know, my girlfriend is half Peruvian and went with her sister to stay with a family friend in Lima. Given her nerdish upbringing, I was pleased to hear that she eventually spent four days getting hammered and staying out until obscene hours.

As for being worried, well sorry man, my dick's just not that small. Perhaps you can relate.

Damn dude, some venom there, real venom. I think this is classic transferance. Basically down deep you are stressing big time, I can sense it now, I really touched on a nerve. The sensitive part you dont like to visit. The part of your psyche dreading that after 5 shots of tequila, the little missy suddenly realized the true meaning of DP. Now you get all huffy, call me a pederast to calm your nerves..thats cool bro. I can be your punching bag... yes my dog is gay and Im proud of the little cuss.

Ive been in your shoes bro, I feel for ya. Hence why I posted that.

And ps- I will guarantee she got hammered.

PS2-And YES, I have an average to small size penis, depending on what ethnic group you use as the reference range. I cant help that, I was born this way.

LADoc00 said:
Basically down deep you are stressing big time, I can sense it now, I really touched on a nerve. The sensitive part you dont like to visit.

Hmmmm, interesting. As I recall, the only one around here who gets all hopped up over chick-related bull**** is you:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=174358&highlight=hell

While I'm sure you'll have some snappy comeback, I would like to take this opportunity to say that I'm perhaps one of the few around here who finds your posts more amusing than pathetic. Keep up the good work. If only we could get you in a cage match with kinetic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn dude, you are way stressing. I only suggested that letting one's girlfriend cruise off to an exotic sunny location for a month alone in a land filled with hot bisexual men might not be the best way to stay disease free.

More of a public service announcement really.

AndyMilonakis said:
oh you haven't heard havarti666? he is kinetic.

OMFG I just did a search on Kinetic, that dude is hilarious.
I found stuff from a classic Kinetic thread:
gay.jpg

Denial said:
Sev . his lips say no but his farts says yes. He fartsnervously when he is in love.

I ended up in place called the "Doctor's lounge" how is that related to this site??

LADoc00 said:
More of a public service announcement really.

Tell you what, then. If I get Chagas in my knob then we'll co-author the case report. I'll run the microtome.

Havarti666 said:
Tell you what, then. If I get Chagas in my knob then we'll co-author the case report. I'll run the microtome.

Dude, that would be the greatest case report EVAH. We could get on Oprah with that.

Ladoc, you either need sex or a *BONK*

Please see skanky bar ***** or prostitute for the first and Andy for the second.

And stop being so freaking negative....I'm already on edge with match day coming up and the purse I want has to be special ordered and won't be in until may... :mad: :mad: :mad:

hellllloooo.... as amusing as that photo was (actually - ugh - i just ate) lets get back on topic......

i did my 4 week elective at my #1 place the last rotation of my 3rd year which apparently was impressive in and of itself. i arranged for a second rotation just this past month, with the same strategy the initial poster has -- to be in their face during ROL composition time. ok -- will let you know next week if this paid off or not -- but this was the most stressful time ever, watching all the straggling applicants come through on interviews and hearing residents discussing who they thought sucked versus who was cool etc. i almost got a friggin ulcer i swear. i overanalyzed everything i overheard and developed a most pathological case of paranoia, crapping my pants when anyone was whispering or conversations were stopped suddenly when i entered a room. ridiculous. hideous. not sure if i would do it again - i probably would have done this rotation the month before ROLs were due.

and do note, i am not an insecure whiny titty baby normally. just the idea of not getting into the #1 pick turned me into an alcoholic slobbering puddle of goo.

on that note, t-minus 6 days.

well t-minus 6 days until we found out if we matched at all (which i'm sure we all did so that's not an issue). the real big day is 9 days from now. :D

I think I'll be okay in t-6 just knowing that I matched. The level of anxiety will lessen somewhat and I will stop shopping like a fiend and be able to sleep at night. I liked all the programs on my list so I think I will be okay AS LONG AS I FRICKIN MATCH!!!! :mad:

WTF, STFU AND......
5764Party_Down_at_The_Gimp_s.jpg

Oh hee hee, I almost peed myself you are so witty...

It must be your fabulous sense of humor which brings all the chicks to your door. After all, there are absolutely NO insecure attractive women in Cali...none at all I tell you. No golddiggers either :rolleyes:

Pingu said:
I think I'll be okay in t-6 just knowing that I matched. The level of anxiety will lessen somewhat and I will stop shopping like a fiend and be able to sleep at night. I liked all the programs on my list so I think I will be okay AS LONG AS I FRICKIN MATCH!!!! :mad:
good point. let's not get too ahead of ourselves here and just get through things one step at a time :)

t-minus 5.4 days now.

Havarti666 said:

Three cheers for Havarti666! :D

Pingu said:

I have been hypomanic for a month now--not totally manic in that I had a small degree of control over my spending (and eating) habits, but I spent (and ate) more than I should have. I've finally come to my senses and have regained full control over my wallet, but the damage is already done. I wonder if shopping excessively before match day is a common female response. And guys drink?

After talking to (and overhearing) numerous classmates, it appears that everyone feels that they are going to have to scramble. Thus, I feel better about some of my fears. My manic behaviors besides shopping have included working out to an excessive degree (3-4 hours a day) and driving like a maniac. I think I will probably need some lithium before this weekend is over. :laugh:

Pingu said:
After talking to (and overhearing) numerous classmates, it appears that everyone feels that they are going to have to scramble. Thus, I feel better about some of my fears. My manic behaviors besides shopping have included working out to an excessive degree (3-4 hours a day) and driving like a maniac. I think I will probably need some lithium before this weekend is over. :laugh:
Yeah, I printed out all my application materials right when I got that email from NRMP last week. And it's a good thing that my lab has a fax machine.

I didn't print mine out because that would be giving in to the voices in my head. :laugh:

Actually, I figured I'm going to have a lot more to worry about than printing if I have to scramble and besides, ink cartridges are expensive!

Really? I'm assuming I won't scramble because of the backups on my list. If I do, I'll be shocked. I would be disappointed to end up at the last program(s) on my list, don't get me wrong. If I get that dreaded call on Monday, I will literally have to scramble to get my application materials together.

Pingu said:
I didn't print mine out because that would be giving in to the voices in my head. :laugh:

Actually, I figured I'm going to have a lot more to worry about than printing if I have to scramble and besides, ink cartridges are expensive!
Actually, I was kidding about that. If I don't match, I will not scramble. I'll do a postdoc instead. It's all good.

Well, I only ranked 5, so there's a possibility for me. But I've heard we get sent an email on monday too? Is that true or just a myth?

I thought we could find out our matching status on the NRMP website. Apparently there are many myths, all of which may be true.

I checked the NRMP website which states that matched and unmatched info is posted to the website at 12 noon est....but I've also heard people talking about emails.

I logged in to make sure I knew my password and saw the little green thing which reads match status-certified rol, so I assume that's where the notice will show up.

AndyMilonakis said:
Yeah, I printed out all my application materials right when I got that email from NRMP last week. And it's a good thing that my lab has a fax machine.
Andy, if you have to scramble, then there in no hope for the rest of us.

Andy, if you have to scramble, then there in no hope for the rest of us

If andy scrambles, I will assume something is severely wrong with the universe and/or that the main match has pulled a urology match

AndyMilonakis said:
Oh be quiet. You know that is not true.
You may be worried about tempting fate, but I think you'll have good luck on the 17th. You are Irish, right? SFKIG :luck:

Pingu said:
If andy scrambles, I will assume something is severely wrong with the universe and/or that the main match has pulled a urology match
you people are saying all this but you know very little about me or my credentials.

AndyMilonakis said:
you people are saying all this but you know very little about me or my credentials.
Yeah... ok

geddy said:
You may be worried about tempting fate, but I think you'll have good luck on the 17th. You are Irish, right? SFKIG :luck:
How can I be K and I at the same time. My parents are both K's.

AndyMilonakis said:
How can I be K and I at the same time. My parents are both K's.
Funny... I could have sworn you were Irish... :rolleyes:

AndyMilonakis said:
If you have a JCB and a NCB paper, then I'm sure your credentials will be just fine.

We can mud wrassle to see who will scramble, if that would make everyone feel better.

geddy said:
If you have a JCB and a NCB paper, then I'm sure your credentials will be just fine.
you might have mad inductive reasoning skillz, but i'm afraid you may be assuming too much there buddy.

You get an email on monday (think it's monday) saying if you matched or not. it says, "Congratulations, you have matched!" But it doesn't say where, and you can't find out unless you can somehow hack into your school's computer system because I think they get the results early. You can't find out where until thursday when it is also released on the website.