Please gauge my situation!! :) And thoughts on Uniformed Service Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aprilk85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my story. I have BS in Biology and entered with the intention of becoming a doctor. A few unfortunate personal issues resulted in a checkered undergrad transcript with 2.8 GPA, 3.2 in the sciences. I got discouraged and put off med school, but know that this is what I want now. I have a year of clinical experience working as a clinical allergy technician and loads of lab and research experience (although both were quite awhile ago, but still post UG). Returned Peace Corps Volunteer, currently pursuing MPH at Emory, Rollins School of Public Health, one year to go. Have worked at CDC and UNICEF since starting grad school. Plan to apply next summer and study my ass off over the next 10 months for MCAT. I may need to re-apply 2019 if I need to retake MCAT. I'll be 34 or 35 when applying. Not worried about being old, just wondering if I am strong enough. I am mostly interested in Uniformed Services Medical School and want to be a physician with Commissioned Corps for US Public Health Services

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my story. I have BS in Biology and entered with the intention of becoming a doctor. A few unfortunate personal issues resulted in a checkered undergrad transcript with 2.8 GPA, 3.2 in the sciences. I got discouraged and put off med school, but know that this is what I want now. I have a year of clinical experience working as a clinical allergy technician and loads of lab and research experience (although both were quite awhile ago, but still post UG). Returned Peace Corps Volunteer, currently pursuing MPH at Emory, Rollins School of Public Health, one year to go. Have worked at CDC and UNICEF since starting grad school. Plan to apply next summer and study my ass off over the next 10 months for MCAT. I may need to re-apply 2019 if I need to retake MCAT. I'll be 34 or 35 when applying. Not worried about being old, just wondering if I am strong enough. I am mostly interested in Uniformed Services Medical School and want to be a physician with Commissioned Corps for US Public Health Services
Your GPA needs repair (retake old classes, take new ones -- all at the undergrad level). An MPH GPA won't be averaged with your overall GPA - only undergrad. Grad school is essentially an "extracurricular" in the eyes of an AdCom and a 2.8 GPA will likely get you screened out by every school out there.

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPA needs repair (retake old classes, take new ones -- all at the undergrad level). An MPH GPA won't be averaged with your overall GPA - only undergrad. Grad school is essentially an "extracurricular" in the eyes of an AdCom and a 2.8 GPA will likely get you screened out by every school out there.
Well, I know some people have gotten in with that GPA, but I know I'd have to rock the MCAT. Let me add this: overall, my GPA is much higher, the 2.8 is what is listed on the 4-year university transcript I graduated from and doesn't include other schools I attended. I come from a dirt poor family, neither parent went to college, nor my siblings, and I knew nothing about how to get scholarships and all that, so I worked full time during UG and went the cheap route by doing two years at a community college first. My GPA there is 3.8. How does med school calculate the GPA? Do they combine everything or use the 4-year? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
After putting everything into a GPA calculator it's 3.1

Commenting again to try and get more feedback... anybody?

3.1 is better, but still not very good. Does your GPA have an upward trend? Have you been getting straight A's at your MPH? Your situation is a bit unique, so if your more recent academics are better, some schools may be lenient or if you're really lucky overlook your earlier grades. That being said, you need to somehow prove you can handle the rigors of medical school and killing the MCAT could go a long way there. Worst comes to worst, finish your MPH, re-take some of the classes you did poorly in, and kill the MCAT.

As for the military/commissioned corps route, you may want to post in the mil-med sub-forums as they'll give you much better answers about that career path than the general pre-med forums can.

3.1 is better, but still not very good. Does your GPA have an upward trend? Have you been getting straight A's at your MPH? Your situation is a bit unique, so if your more recent academics are better, some schools may be lenient or if you're really lucky overlook your earlier grades. That being said, you need to somehow prove you can handle the rigors of medical school and killing the MCAT could go a long way there. Worst comes to worst, finish your MPH, re-take some of the classes you did poorly in, and kill the MCAT.

As for the military/commissioned corps route, you may want to post in the mil-med sub-forums as they'll give you much better answers about that career path than the general pre-med forums can.

I have one B at Emory so far, but all A's other than that. 3.8 GPA as of now, over the next year should be 3.9. I am hoping Emory's clout in the health world will help me. Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try and do really well on the MCAT, apply next summer, and if I don't get in, I'll start retaking UG coursework and try again the following year.

I have one B at Emory so far, but all A's other than that. 3.8 GPA as of now, over the next year should be 3.9. I am hoping Emory's clout in the health world will help me. Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try and do really well on the MCAT, apply next summer, and if I don't get in, I'll start retaking UG coursework and try again the following year.
There are MD schools that reward reinvention. Your ECs are killer, and that is your saving grace. So just do well on MCAT (510+). Be sure to apply to DO as well as MD.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't remember exactly, but I think 36 is the age limit for commissioning. If USUHS is your game plan.

Apply broadly to DO programs. Look into HPSP programs (health professions scholarship programs) for the military. I currently have one with the Air Force and know you can get them for the other branches. Given your age, this is a much better bet than UHS medical school. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user