Please Explain to Me What is an MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is meant to be a serious question.

someone who obtains a Master in Public Health.... what exactly composes the curriculum? having gone through a professional school (optometry) - we had our epidemiology course. i guess i'd like to know answers to the following:

- is an MPH basically statistics applied to biology?
- is an MPH a research degree or an administration (i.e. administering public health) degree?
- for those NOT in academia (e.g. private practice medicine) how does an MPH help you?
- for those IN academia, how does an MPH help you?

i'm just curious because though i have an advanced degree, i have a faculty appointment in a medical school and am looking for other credentialing opportunities (other than a PhD).

Members don't see this ad.

A MPH is an all encompassing degree - it doesn't necessarily mean that it is statistics applied to biology or a research or administration degree. There are several different departments within public health that you can specialize in ranging from international health, epidemiology, environmental and occupational health, health policy and administration and even research based such as microbiology and immunology (there are many more too, but this is just to give you an idea). There are lots of different things you can do with a MPH depending upon your interest (you can do field work, academic work, health policy work or laboratory research). And the jobs you can work at with a MPH varies too - you can work in a laboratory doing research, at a public health dept, CDC, NIH, any academic setting, hospitals, etc... it is pretty limitless. I'm not in academia and I got my MPH in epidemiology and it has helped me in my current job because I do a lot of statistical analyses - but I could've worked at a hospital as a "hospital epidemiologist" or the health dept too. I also could've kept my previous job at the CDC doing behavioral epidemiology work.

I hope I answered your question a little bit. Feel free to PM me.

14_of_spades said:
this is meant to be a serious question.

someone who obtains a Master in Public Health.... what exactly composes the curriculum? having gone through a professional school (optometry) - we had our epidemiology course. i guess i'd like to know answers to the following:

- is an MPH a research degree or an administration (i.e. administering public health) degree?
- for those NOT in academia (e.g. private practice medicine) how does an MPH help you?

i'm just curious because though i have an advanced degree, i have a faculty appointment in a medical school and am looking for other credentialing opportunities (other than a PhD).

14_of_spades said:

I work at UCSF and a number of the faculty have an MPH degree (as well as many from other institutions that I've had contact with). However, they are also all involved in epidemiological research.....I'm not sure why you would get one if you were doing only clinical research or none at all. The good thing is it will only take a year if you have your advanced degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can you have a doctoral-level clinical degree and be on a medical school faculty and yet not seem to know anything about MPH degrees??? But kudos for having the gumption to ask.

I'd check out the ASPH website. They have some pretty good general information for you about what public health is.

A Masters of Public Health (MPH) is a master's-level degree that when compared to an MS degree generally places more importance on practice than research. From what I've seen, MPH students have to a "masters project" rather than a "masters thesis." From what I was taught in my program, some PhD programs (in epidemiology) actually prefer the MPH to the MS because of the practical aspects since the PhD will have plenty of research by itself.

Now, to answer your questions:
For those practicing biostatistics (which, by the way, tends to be an MS more than an MPH), one of the core areas of public health, very much involves the application of statistics to biology, and human health in particular (though there are vets doing this as well). For somebody doing epidemiology (like me), a large part of their work is biostatistics and looking at patterns of human health and disease.

Most, perhaps all, MPH degrees degrees cover aspects of both, though there is clearly variation by major and program. From what I've seen biostats and epi majors will likely be more involved in research, whereas those in public health administration typically do more on the admin side. Administrators need a grasp on the science underlying what they are doing, so you'll see administrators with majors in all areas.

I'm still a student so I'll defer for now.

Hope this helps.

Adcadet said:
How can you have a doctoral-level clinical degree and be on a medical school faculty and yet not seem to know anything about MPH degrees??? But kudos for having the gumption to ask.

quite easy. i just started here - and my question was more intended to know what people's opinions on the subject were, as opposed to suggesting that i really didn't "know anything about MPH degrees". but thanks for the reply.

i've thought about it a bit more - and i'm a bit apprehensive about spending the time and money to do an MPH at this present moment, but i also feel i don't have the strength in statistical analysis that i'd like to have (which i believe, is one large component of the education of an MPH).

i PMed another member here this question - but i ask again - is there any book(s) that largely "covers" the statistical education of an MPH? it sounds like i'm trying to trivialize the education as bit - but what i'm asking is if there's some leading book in statistics that is considered the "bible" for MPHs?

thanks.

14_of_spades said:
i've thought about it a bit more - and i'm a bit apprehensive about spending the time and money to do an MPH at this present moment, but i also feel i don't have the strength in statistical analysis that i'd like to have (which i believe, is one large component of the education of an MPH).

i PMed another member here this question - but i ask again - is there any book(s) that largely "covers" the statistical education of an MPH? it sounds like i'm trying to trivialize the education as bit - but what i'm asking is if there's some leading book in statistics that is considered the "bible" for MPHs?

thanks.

It depends on what you mean by MPH. There are some majors that take a single semester of relatively low-level statistics, and there are those who take years of advanced stuff. But yes, in general MPHers tend to get a solid dose of statistics.

I can't recommend a single good biostats book - in my year of biostats we had a so-so book that we loosely used. But a solid intro epi book is Epidemiology by Gordis, published by Elsevier. A great book for medical people is Evidence-Based Medicine by Strauss et al (also Elsevier) - short, sweet, to the point. Another great book for beginners is Designing Clinical Research by Hulley. Otherwise, just hit your medical school library and see what they have.

Good luck!

As Adcadet mentioned, there are often several levels of Biostatistics that people take, depending on their backgrounds and how likely they are to use statistics in their work. At my school, there are three Biostats tracks, and the middle-level one is the most popular among MPH students in Epidemiology, International Health, etc.

There is a "recommended" textbook (Rosner - Fundamentals of Biostatistics), but it is really only for reference and for those who like learning by reading textbooks; it's not explicitly used in class. It is also quite expensive.

Another "recommended" source of information is the online introduction at http://davidmlane.com/hyperstat/index.html which covers about the first 8-12 weeks of class. There are a lot of ads on the page, though, and thus it can be a bit visually distracting.

I will list for you the topics covered in my year-long introductory Biostatistics sequence; any book that covers these subjects in some detail and seems to explain things well should give you a pretty good foundation in Biostats. (Others, please let me know if I've left out anything vital.) This is excerpted from the course descriptions:

- basic concepts and methods of statistics
- methods of exploring, organizing, and presenting data
- fundamentals of probability, including probability distributions and conditional probability, with applications to 2x2 tables
- foundations of statistical inference, including concepts of population, sample parameter, and estimate
- approaches to inferences using the likelihood function, confidence intervals, and hypothesis tests
- use of likelihood functions, confidence intervals, and hypothesis tests to draw scientific inferences from public health data
- null and alternative hypotheses
- Type I and II errors
- power calculations
- parametric and non-parametric statistical methods for comparing multiple groups (ANOVA)
- measures of association
- simple linear regression
- methods for planning a study, including stratification, balance, sampling strategies, and sample size
- use of generalized linear models for quantitative analysis of data encountered in public health and medicine
- creation, evaluation, and application of different models
- analysis of variance (ANOVA)
- analysis of covariance (ANCOVA)
- multiple linear regression
- logistic regression
- Cox regression
- conduct and reporting of the results of a valid statistical analysis of quantitative public health information
- advanced skills in multiple regression models
- log-linear models
- techniques for the evaluation of survival and longitudinal data
- methods for the measurement of agreement, validity, and reliability

Note that these are general topic headings, and under each one, there are more specific methods, names of tests, and so forth.

A lot of what is emphasized in class, aside from how to perform various analyses and make models, is judgment and discretion in the use of models and analyses. (Just because you can use a particular analysis or model doesn't mean you should.) I don't know how well this could be learned from a book, unless it's a very good one.

Also, if you plan to use any of this, you'll probably want/need to learn to use a statistical computing package, such as SAS, R, SPSS, or Stata. SAS and R tend to be the most widely used in public health circles.

Hope this helps!

great reply.

good website - but geez - ur right about the ads.

as for a stats program - does excel rank? would it be "good enough" for the basic statistical manipulation needed in a study? i used it quite a bit a few summers ago for some basic functions (S.D., making graphs etc.) but i've forgotten it totally and have to go back and re-learn it.

14_of_spades said:
as for a stats program - does excel rank?
No.

There is a SAS/STATA thread out on this MPH forum. With links to some really good sites to begin and get familiar with these programs, it should also be helpful.http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=244897

The books Adcadet suggested are really great for building your basics. However, as you must be knowing by now, only reading a book seldom will be as good as having things explained by a prof. However, there can be no bible for MPH, as there can be no bible for Ph.Ds. :p

IMHO, you can look at places where the MPH is being offered online. This would give you the flexibility of choosing your pace while not having to quit. Taking the course, as opposed to self study, would help put lots of aspects of Public Health into perspective in a way very few books can. Its not just about being proficient in a single subject, is it? Also, in academia (where you work) do the alphabets after your name help in your upward mobility? ;)

Around my program, SAS and SPSS were by far the most commonly used applications. R was pretty infrequently used, and then only for teaching the basics. Excel can not do much of what is covered in the "mid-level" biostats (what most epi people take).

Agreed. Although, for some of the more advanced analyses, the biostatisticians around here prefer R. I hate it, personally - I thought the SAS learning curve was bad enough.

I cringe, but most of the lab science Phd students I know use excel for their statistics. It can do some of the most basic stuff. But, of course, they have like 3-8 data points, whereas in public health you're usually dealing with much larger and more complex data.

great replies so far everyone - thanks.

What do you guys recommend for a decent, easy to use stats program? I've used Prism in the past and like it pretty well. Totally sufficient for the lab stuff I was doing. Any other suggestions?

Adcadet said:
What do you guys recommend for a decent, easy to use stats program? I've used Prism in the past and like it pretty well. Totally sufficient for the lab stuff I was doing. Any other suggestions?
I've never even heard of Prism (?). Of the biggies, I'd say SPSS is much easier (mostly point & click). SAS is the most versitile but has the programming learning curve (the newer versions have assisting tools that are more menu driven - SASAnalyst and SASAssist, but even these take some learning). Stata, Sudaan, R - I'd steer clear of if you want simple.

Some other programs aren't too hard (it's been a while since I used these, though) - I'm thinking of Minitab & Datadesk.

There are some programs that are set up more for epi - EpiInfo, Epicalc, Winepi (and of these, I think EpiInfo is more readily used).

Then, totally contradicting what I said before - you always can just use Excel if the data is simple. Probably depends on the scope of your project.