Please don't hate me, another chances post...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dime

:)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
_

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Clearly you are competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a student at Columbia Mailman School of Public Health and I believe you would be a good candidate. Columbia really stresses having work experience. However, if you want to apply to their global health track, I believe you need at least a year of full time experience abroad.

3.02 GPA from Ivy League school (Last two years were significantly better than first two)
Bio major
V 660 (94%), Q 720 (75%), AW 4.5 (63%)
Former pre-med student who realized, after finishing a post-bacc, that public health would lead to a more fulfilling life
Even went so far as to do a post-bacc at another Ivy... First semester, two B+'s, Second semester (after the public health realization), 1 C+ and a C
Volunteer work in ER of hospital and at Doctors Without Borders
Spent a summer in Nigeria volunteering at hospital in small village
Research in food science
Proficient/fluent in 3 languages
Working as a coordinator for an educational development project for the largest university system in Nigeria (I am based domestically, though)
Hmmm, what else...

I'm interested in health policy & management with a specialization/electives in global health. Columbia and NYU Wagner are my top choices...

Any input? (Suggestions on where to apply, motivational speeches, etc.)

Thanks all!

Congratulations, you're a wiener!

@wanttoph That's Ms. Ivy League to you! ;)

Thanks guys for your words of, errr, encouragement. I was actually a bit worried, but it seems as if it shouldn't be a problem...

Last edited:
Also, schools pay more attention to your GPA in your last two years of undergrad so your GPA shouldn't be an issue if you did much better the last two years.
Having work experience that is directly related to what you hope to accomplish with your MPH/MHA/MPA is a really big factor as well - so you should be good.