please can you post your first job, city, pay? I believe this would help others as they try to decide on contracts to sign.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaycee18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
nocturnist, columbus OH, 120-125$ per hour, RVUs never obtained. cross coverage over 80-100 patients, admit ave 8-12 per shift. Other's at the program hid their pay so was difficult to compare.

Members don't see this ad.

New graduate PA in the ED. $65 per hour, no shift or weekend differential or RVUs. See about 12-15 patients a shift now but that varies a lot. Lots of benefits including a 2.5% contribution to retirement. Pay increases by $5 every two years while retirement contribution increases another 2.5% every other year.

nocturnist, columbus OH, 120-125$ per hour, RVUs never obtained. cross coverage over 80-100 patients, admit ave 8-12 per shift. Other's at the program hid their pay so was difficult to compare.
That seems very low from what people who just graduated in my program got. The people I know in my program who signed nocturnist contracts are getting 300k+/yr for 12 hrs shift (7 days on/off) in states like AL, TN, VA, GA, SC, LA (Louisiana). Are you geographically restricted? Personally, I would not do your job for less $150/hr.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That seems very low from what people who just graduated in my program got. The people I know in my program who signed nocturnist contracts are getting 300k+/yr for 12 hrs shift (7 days on/off) in states like AL, TN, VA, GA, SC, LA (Louisiana). Are you geographically restricted? Personally, I would not do your job for less $150/hr.
I eventually broke my contract and left after working for 1 year, 4 months. Those are years i will never get back. still really bitter about the experience and time wasted. What really hurt me was that the others were ok with me being underpaid as they all lied after i filed an official complaint about being underpaid.

Austin TX I was making $32 per RVU plus benefits. The contract was a take it or leave it type of contract because "it's Austin." They told me that they could had easily hired someone else.