Please assess my chances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ixitixl

Step 1 studysaurus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not going to pull the I have a 3.8GPA and 37T MCAT score thing. (I do NOT have these stats by the way.)

So, numbers and ECs aside,

I have been complete since mid September and I received 5 interview invites in the last two weeks of October but nothing since. I still have yet to hear back from 12 schools, all of which are approximately as competitive for admissions as the 5 schools that sent me interview invites. Is it safe to assume at this point, since some schools are scheduling into March/April that I won't be getting anymore invites? Is it likely with this track record that there will be a few more on the way later on in the game? I'd appreciate any input but especially input from people who have already been through this process and have been in a similar situation.

Thanks

-I

Members don't see this ad.

Sooooo, what are you numbers??

I think most of us are on the same boat as you. I don't think any of us know for sure, but based on what people have posted on the official interview thread and what not, it seems like they're (upenn, yale, ucla, etc) still filling up january slots.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if your chances are 1 in 50, and you have 5 interviews, then your overall probability is 10% (of course, this only applies if your chances are 1 in 50).

Originally posted by gary5
Well, if your chances are 1 in 50, and you have 5 interviews, then your overall probability is 10% (of course, this only applies if your chances are 1 in 50).

This is profound.

At each of your 5 interviews is 25%. chance of not accepted is 75%.

.75 x .75 x .75 x .75 x .75 x .75= chance of not getting accepted. Damn where is my calculator. It is pretty small though.

;)

I did that already. It comes out quite nicely however that only applies if every applicant is equal. The figure is nice though. It is very encouraging and for that I thank you.

I was staring, staring and staring more at this word, hoping to dear God that I spelled it correctly.

dictionary??

it's far more fun to stare and stare and stare at asses...

oops, I mean assess :)

Originally posted by ixitixl
Is it safe to assume at this point, since some schools are scheduling into March/April that I won't be getting anymore invites? Is it likely with this track record that there will be a few more on the way later on in the game?

first question -- no
second question -- hard to say

while some schools are currently filling up their last interview slots into march and april, others don't fill up their slots as fast. some may only be filling slots 2 or 3 weeks in advance. it really depends on what schools you applied to. for instance, boston university stops interviewing in february i believe, while schools like uc davis (at least last year) interview well into april and don't contact you until a few weeks before your interview. if you could list the 12 schools, it might be easier for people to determine your chances of getting interviews at this stage of the game. i'd say most schools are still offering interviews, but some may have 1/2 their interview offers to give out still and others only have a few more offers to hand out.

Thanks lola. I PM-ed you.

Originally posted by skypilot
At each of your 5 interviews is 25%. chance of not accepted is 75%.

.75 x .75 x .75 x .75 x .75 x .75= chance of not getting accepted. Damn where is my calculator. It is pretty small though.

;)

Dont listen to stats.....anyway, 42.7% of all statistics are made up