This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Post Bacc vs. Masters to be more competitive

• Post Bacc

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Masters

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

dr.ihaveacutedog

Reaction score
Hello! I am a completely new poster, so forgive me if this sucks and it's too long but know I am really trying.

I am a 21 yo recent graduate as of last month with a Bachelors in Health Science. A little about my history, I initially went to college away from my hometown with the intentions of becoming an audiologist. I decided my second year that I wanted to pursue veterinary medicine, then in my third year (and final year, I graduated early) I changed to full blown human medicine. This was not something I ever expected to be pursuing EVER, but it is 10000% my passion and my purpose. ANYWAY, after much research at the beginning of that year I decided to move home to save money on rent and help out my mom. I was able to take all of my pre-meds because they're practically the same for VM, secure a research position, work in the hospital, shadow a neurosurgeon, volunteer and all that jazz in a matter of a year. However, I struggled with my grades due to some unfortunate personal and familial problems so I didn't do near as well as I should of. I have gotten my issues sorted out now though. My stats are:
Overall GPA - 3.68
sGPA (AMCAS) - 3.36
I am taking the MCAT in January. I am going to try to do as well as I can!

So here is my dilemma. Since I decided to pursue this so late in my college career, I obviously was not going to be ready to apply this cycle, so I have a gap year. I want to spend it completing more education and becoming more competitive, but I have no idea if a postbacc or a masters is the right option for me. I can do a Biotechnology MS at USF, Chemistry Non-Thesis MS at UCF, or a Postbacc degree seeking BioMed BS at UNF. My heart (and pride) say a MS, but my sGPA (clearly) says post bacc. I was able to graduate with my undergrad with no loans because FAFSA and my school's grants took pity on mine and my mom's poverty level incomes thankfully, so I currently have no debt. I know not for long though with medical school, but I would like to make the smartest decision financially speaking as well as for my chances for admission because I do help support my mom (single widowed mom, be nice).

From all you experienced people, what would you do and why? No one in my area that I know has experience in this situation, nor are they even in medicine. I don't know any nontraditionals personally so no one has any advice or guidance for me.

THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Seems like your cheapest and most efficient option would be ~30 hours post bacc upper level science credits and ace them, if you really want to go MD. Your current GPAs are fine for DO. Get a good MCAT score and you're all set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like your cheapest and most efficient option would be ~30 hours post bacc upper level science credits and ace them, if you really want to go MD. Your current GPAs are fine for DO. Get good MCAT score and you're all set.
Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong forum buddy. In my class average age is 25-26yo. At 21 you are as trad as it gets. I consider non-trads either by age >30yo or by their curriculum - eg. someone who came from Sweden or Vietnam and has a music major or people who for example go from having a job as a circus trainer for 20 years to a medicine. They are nontrads. In your case you have a B.H.S. and a 21yo - that's a straight trad.

Hello! I am a completely new poster, so forgive me if this sucks and it's too long but know I am really trying.

I am a 21 yo recent graduate as of last month with a Bachelors in Health Science. A little about my history, I initially went to college away from my hometown with the intentions of becoming an audiologist. I decided my second year that I wanted to pursue veterinary medicine, then in my third year (and final year, I graduated early) I changed to full blown human medicine. This was not something I ever expected to be pursuing EVER, but it is 10000% my passion and my purpose. ANYWAY, after much research at the beginning of that year I decided to move home to save money on rent and help out my mom. I was able to take all of my pre-meds because they're practically the same for VM, secure a research position, work in the hospital, shadow a neurosurgeon, volunteer and all that jazz in a matter of a year. However, I struggled with my grades due to some unfortunate personal and familial problems so I didn't do near as well as I should of. I have gotten my issues sorted out now though. My stats are:
Overall GPA - 3.68
sGPA (AMCAS) - 3.36
I am taking the MCAT in January. I am going to try to do as well as I can!

So here is my dilemma. Since I decided to pursue this so late in my college career, I obviously was not going to be ready to apply this cycle, so I have a gap year. I want to spend it completing more education and becoming more competitive, but I have no idea if a postbacc or a masters is the right option for me. I can do a Biotechnology MS at USF, Chemistry Non-Thesis MS at UCF, or a Postbacc degree seeking BioMed BS at UNF. My heart (and pride) say a MS, but my sGPA (clearly) says post bacc. I was able to graduate with my undergrad with no loans because FAFSA and my school's grants took pity on mine and my mom's poverty level incomes thankfully, so I currently have no debt. I know not for long though with medical school, but I would like to make the smartest decision financially speaking as well as for my chances for admission because I do help support my mom (single widowed mom, be nice).

From all you experienced people, what would you do and why? No one in my area that I know has experience in this situation, nor are they even in medicine. I don't know any nontraditionals personally so no one has any advice or guidance for me.

THANK YOU!
I would say that this will be the part of your application you should work on, not necessarily more coursework.

You are going to have to show AdComs why you actually want to work with people in a medical capacity above all of the other careers that you have clearly considered. And I will say, that if you did manage to “volunteer and all that jazz” in a single year...we notice. We notice when you have hours as opposed to longevity. The longevity matters. If you have an additional year, spending it getting more clinical experience would likely benefit you more than a 0.3 bump in your GPA.

Another way to think of it: are you going to present yourself as mature enough to do an MD, and are you clearly knowledgeable about your career choice when you have little clinical exposure to humans and human medicine.

Last edited:
Wtf you already have your pre reqs and graduated college early?

If you can afford it just go back to your college, take a couple of fluff classes that you can easily make an A in to boost your gpa a bit, get a part time job and enjoy being young.

Masters is a waste of time. Post bacc is not for people like you.

Wrong forum buddy. In my class average age is 25-26yo. At 21 you are as trad as it gets. I consider non-trads either by age >30yo or by their curriculum - eg. someone who came from Sweden or Vietnam and has a music major or people who for example go from having a job as a circus trainer for 20 years to a medicine. They are nontrads. In your case you have a B.H.S. and a 21yo - that's a straight trad.

1 gap year is normal. Non trad is anyone >1 year out from graduation.

Traditional applicants apply to med school while in college, by definition.

Wtf you already have your pre reqs and graduated college early?

If you can afford it just go back to your college, take a couple of fluff classes that you can easily make an A in to boost your gpa a bit, get a part time job and enjoy being young.

Masters is a waste of time. Post bacc is not for people like you.
OP, Listen to this person!

I would not take more than a year of classes honestly. Also, on the weekends you can volunteer at a hospital or clinic to get some hours. You get a 510+ on MCAT and you should be fine! I know people with lower stats than yours and manage to get into a MD school. There are some good MCAT prep threads on here too.

I also think choosing a DO should be something you want not something you feel “nudged” into. Sometimes it seems on here if you don’t have a 3.99GPA, then you “have to” give up on a MD and go for a DO.