PLEASE ANSWER -- current dental students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredmd18

Reaction score
hello! I have a question for current dental students. I am about to start school but my personal dentist just told me I need 3 fillings which are about $300 each. Were any of you able to get affordable dental care at your school from your peers??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that at my school if we get dental work done there we only pay 50% the normal cost. I don’t know what other schools do.

You'll get discounts. The issue is being able to find 3-4 hour blocks in your school schedule, and being able to go back after each appointment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you want free dental work from someone who is as new as you? Or quality care from someone who has been doing it a while? Sometimes saving pennies now will only cost you dollars down the road.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
My school has free care for certain procedures (like fillings). Other things, like IV sedation, are discounted. Expensive things like prosth and ortho are full price lol.

Do you want free dental work from someone who is as new as you? Or quality care from someone who has been doing it a while? Sometimes saving pennies now will only cost you dollars down the road.

I have never tried to get work done at my school, but if there is an opportunity to insist on a AEGD resident to do your work it might still be worth it. I would feel more comfortable with a resident.

IF your decay is "ideal".
IF you can manage your decay for 3 years.
IF you are not taking a manikin-based license exam in year 4.
---Consider holding off on treatment until D3 year. Then volunteer to be a patient for a D4 taking the boards. That way you can scout out the whole board experience in advance.

IF your decay is "ideal".
IF you can manage your decay for 3 years.
IF you are not taking a manikin-based license exam in year 4.
---Consider holding off on treatment until D3 year. Then volunteer to be a patient for a D4 taking the boards. That way you can scout out the whole board experience in advance.
thankfully live patient boards is dying if not dead already in most states. hopefully will be done for good very soon