Please Advise: BME at NU vs Vandy

deirdre

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a million threads like these, but I find myself in need of advice like many others, and I hope someone will be able to help me here.
I'm trying to make my final decision between Northwestern and Vanderbilt. I'm leaning strongly toward NU because I'm pretty sure I'll be happier there, but it is a 10k difference in cost (21k vs 31k). I'm expecting my financial situation to change and receive less aid next year too. My family can afford this, but I'm worried I'm being a bit selfish here, especially because Vanderbilt is my dad's alma mater.
I know BME is very difficult for premed but I feel pretty confident I will do well and I really love BME, but I'm prepared to switch into something easier if my GPA truly takes a hit.
Could anyone tell me more about doing premed at these schools and if Vanderbilt is actually a much better idea? Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Both schools are excellent and very very rigorous (can be a good or bad thing). Both schools are also quite similar in style (Big conference, very Greek, very diverse), with the only real difference being campus/location.

If I were you I wouldn't even bother with BME to start with: if your goal is to be a doc, that field is useless to you in the future. Not to mention very very unconducive to good grades.

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess personal preference will be what guides my decision.
As for the BME thing, could you help me understand what part of it "gets" most people? I'm doing this bioinformatics internship and am really enjoying my foray into statistics and R, and I like physics enough to consider doing Biophysics instead of BME. I know you don't know me and can't make a strong recommendation, but if those subjects are what make it difficult/boring, do you think I should give it a shot?

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to change your profile pic if that's you in it.

Both are solid schools for BME - though NU would probably be better. I was a ChE and can comment a bit on engineering. It's tough on your GPA, especially if you got to a top tier program, but it is doable. The cost can be a real nightmare up around Evanston/Chicago (one of my best friends did ME up there).

Haha I'll change it. Is there some policy I didn't know about?
Thanks for the info. I didn't really think about how hard it would be to maintain a high GPA with engineering before I decided on it. I think I want to give it a shot before deciding to switch to a different major just because I think it would be really engaging, but maybe I can find something else that I like just as much.

Haha I'll change it. Is there some policy I didn't know about?
Thanks for the info. I didn't really think about how hard it would be to maintain a high GPA with engineering before I decided on it. I think I want to give it a shot before deciding to switch to a different major just because I think it would be really engaging, but maybe I can find something else that I like just as much.

Yup the policy is somewhere in the legal guidelines of using SDN (or something like that). Keeping a high GPA (3.7+) in engineering really comes down to carefully planning your course sequence and being militant about your study regiment (practice problems, office hrs, tutoring, reading, etc). It's not impossible, but you certainly won't have the leeway that some of the easier majors have. It can be quite a rewarding major and it prepares one well for the rigor(s) of med school. Plus if you decide medicine is not for you, you can still go and get a job paying $60K-70K right out of college lol.

Well you've reassured me that I should at least attempt it, thanks! :)

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess personal preference will be what guides my decision.
As for the BME thing, could you help me understand what part of it "gets" most people? I'm doing this bioinformatics internship and am really enjoying my foray into statistics and R, and I like physics enough to consider doing Biophysics instead of BME. I know you don't know me and can't make a strong recommendation, but if those subjects are what make it difficult/boring, do you think I should give it a shot?

If I were you, I'd do something like a stats/biostatistics major. I think schools would look very fondly on those and if you're good at math/stats, it will be easier to get a good gpa. Plus, understanding statistics will make you a better researcher, if that's what you're interested in. One of the few skills you can learn as an undergrad major that will actually be useful in the long run, imho.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks Salt, I'll keep that field in mind.

I would suggest EE or ME or ChemE with a BME minor and a BME focused senior capstone project rather than a BME major.
If you decide not to go into medicine, Those three rather than BME would put you in better footing. Yes engineering is more time consuming and rigorous than all the other majors, but if you have the passion for it, it is very rewarding and will pay dividends all your life even after you become a physician.

Reactions: 1 user
What makes you think you'd be happier at Northwestern?

If they are like WashU, BME as a premed is downright masochistic. The BME dropout rate is almost as high as premed, trying to survive with a 3.8+ is insanity

What makes you think you'd be happier at Northwestern?

If they are like WashU, BME as a premed is downright masochistic. The BME dropout rate is almost as high as premed, trying to survive with a 3.8+ is insanity

Some people 'enjoy' the insane challenge lol