plastic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soma

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a question regarding plastic surgery. I've received advice not to apply to plastic and general surgery residencies at the same place. However, many of the top programs happen to have good plastic and general surgery programs. Is this really a concern? If I don't match into plastic surgery, I'd like to at least have a chance of matching into a top tier general surgery program. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The Plastic Surgeons @ the integrated programs could give a damn if you apply to the gen. surgery programs. The General surgery programs however, take great offense & I expect would not consider you if it came to their attention. At some of the integrated programs you also have to interview with the general surgery chairman (as almost all PRS programs are divisions of the general surgery dept. & not their own department). I don't think that it would hurt you to apply to both programs at the same institutions as most of the screening is numbers based + a cursory review of your file. You'll then have to sort out the programs by where you actually get interviews @ for Plastic Surgery & go from there. It would be my recommendation to not interview for both @ the same place honestly.