Plastic surgery residency in usa for foreign student who already completed a residenc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

larryphrank

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For someone who completed their medical training in Ecuador. Also completed a plastic surgery residency in Brazil. And now wants to practice in the united states.

What is the best way to go about doing this?
Wher ecan I find more specific information about this?
Are there any people, web-sites, contacts that someone can provide?
Is there anyone in a similiar situation who can tell me about their experience?
***someone who speaks fluent spanish would be a plus***

Thanks in advance,

larry

Members don't see this ad.

you have to repeat residency all over again to practice in the U.S. but to be eligible to do residency you must first be ECFMG certified, which means you need to take the USMLE Step 1, 2, Toefl, and CSA. check out www.ecfmg.org for info on that. Get U.S. recs by doing research/rotations in the U.S. with plastic surgeons. this year supposedly an FMG got into harvard. its not impossible, just takes some serious perserverance and extra time. there are two hispanic program directors in plastic surgery at kentucky and alabama, the vasconez brothers. buena suerte.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always been curious. What would an American plastic surgeon have to do to go be a plastic surgeon in Equador? Does Equador impose the same sort of restrictions on Americans? I'm not interested in leaving the US. I'm just curious how other countries do it.

I can assure you that in most of the countries in the Middle East you can practice freely with your American board.

Ecuador is in South America,not the Middle East, Sherlock!:laugh: