Plastic Surgery programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnt107

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any opinions, based on some semblance of knowledge, on what some of the reputable plastic surgery programs are? I'm just curious what the word of mouth views are around the country.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking about Integrated or Independent residency training programs? Some of the "biggies" are in Texas - UT Southwestern, Baylor and UTMB. Also Emory, UCLA, Duke and Pittsburgh would be considered "biggies" as well.

The top three academic PRS programs by reputation in the country are usually noted to be:

1. NYU
2. Southwestern Univ. (Dallas)
3. UCLA or UCSF

A lot of this comes due to some of the Star faculty rather than as a reflection on the quality of the training itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dnt,

As you know, reputations vary temporally and any chairman will have different opinions about which programs are among the best. That being said, the programs most frequently mentioned by reputation are:

nyu (largely because of mccarthy)
emory
pittsburgh
michigan
southwestern
baylor
ucla
harvard combined program
yale
hopkins
wash u

As previously pointed out however, reputations don't always translate into training. There are certain programs such as loma linda and siu, that don't carry the same reputations as those above yet provide phenomenal training according to residents I talked to on the trail.

Does anyone know if there's a general trend towards cutting integrated programs out? I know that I've heard lots of rumors that our (Duke's) integrated program is going to be scraped (which means that our SEVEN year Gen Surg Program becomes the pre-req for Plastics), but I don't know if they're getting rid of similar programs across the country.

aliraja,
I don't know that its necessarily a trend per se, but several high profile programs have dropped their integrated programs in recent years (NYU,Emory, & most recently Duke Univ.) Most of the complaints I understand had to do with 1) instability of the program due to a high dropout rate & 2) the lack of preparedness of the residents after their preliminary years. Seeing as how the driving force for integrated programs is financial & that the economics haven't changed, it's unlikely that a large # of programs would drop their integrated program b/c they can't afford to.