Plastic Surgery on Discovery Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flighterdoc

Rocket Scientist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was watching (listening, actually) to Discovery health over the weekend and wondered about the plastic surgery shows where they track a number of pts from beginning to end in a variety of plastics procedures.

I had a question, i was hoping someone could answer for me.

WHERE DO THEY FIND THESE PEOPLE?

I mean, nice enough people with some interesting cases, but how the hell do the TV people find out about them pre-surgery? Do they have finders out at the surgeons offices with rewards for good cases?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I must say that is a very interesting question, I do wonder how they get these patients to have their cases televised.

My other question is how they get patients on other similar shows like the one on MTV and ABC... the patients they select for these shows are more in need of psychiatrists than plastic surgeons... secondly, who are these surgeons who are operating on these emotionaly disturbed people... how does that play in terms of ethics or even the law?

AMMD said:
I must say that is a very interesting question, I do wonder how they get these patients to have their cases televised.

My other question is how they get patients on other similar shows like the one on MTV and ABC... the patients they select for these shows are more in need of psychiatrists than plastic surgeons... secondly, who are these surgeons who are operating on these emotionaly disturbed people... how does that play in terms of ethics or even the law?

Good point - who do those surgeons owe responsibility to? The patients or the people paying the bills (the networks)? Sounds like a conflict of interest to me.

BTW, I don't watch those shows on the regular networks. If I want to see dysfunctional people I have my in-laws to gawk at.