Plastic Surgery Independent program vs Integrated program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hilara

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like any information you can give me regarding both programs. I was thinking of doing general surgery first and then do a fellowship in Plastics (is this what some people call the Independent program?). Is it hard to get this fellowship?. I don't know anything about this subject. I would appreciate your help!! Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

General Surgery residency followed by training in Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery is traditionally referred to as the "Independent" track. As you may be aware, the Integrated Model takes applicants right out of medical school for either a 3+3, 4+2 or some other combination of General Surgery + Plastic Surgery.These are extremely competitive.

PRS Fellowships are still competitive, but there are some each year which do not fill. Further information on the application process can be found at <a href="http://www.sfmatch.org" target="_blank">www.sfmatch.org</a>

You are required to do at least 3 years of General Surgery although the most successful at obtaining a PRS position have done all 5+ years.

Hope this helps.

Hi, where can one go to learn about requirements for the "integrated" plastic surgery programs? thanks.

The requirements for the "Integrated" programs are really no different than for any other residency - ie, an application, USMLE scores, LORs, etc. However, you would be expected, as with any competitive residency, to have higher than average scores, grades, experience, etc. PRS is a small field and often connections can help - if only to steer you in the right direction.

Moving to the Plastic Surgery forum...