Plastic Surgeons do not save any lives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicianArtist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you (plastic surgical residents) respond if people tell you that you're a doctor but you are in it for the money and you do not save any lives? It is sad to see the common misperception toward plastic surgeons. When people hear the word, "plastic" and they automatically think about botox and facelift. One person even said that so you went through four years of undergraduate, another four years of medical school and another five years of residence just to do nose jobs and facelifts? It's sad that these misperceptions are still around.

Members don't see this ad.

Let's see. In 2006-7 I did about a dozen mastectomies for cancer, 4 radical mastecomy/ en bloc chest wall resections for recurrent cancer, 5 parotidectomies with radical neck disections for cancer, 2 dozen melanoma cases, a handful of sarcoma cases,removed 150+ skin cancers, drained about a dozen septic mediastinums, and was first on the scene with a number of septic necrotizing fascitis or fournier's gangrene type scenarios.

I think there are misconceptions about what a great many of us do.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's see. In 2006-7 I did about a dozen mastectomies for cancer, 4 radical mastecomy/ en bloc chest wall resections for recurrent cancer, 5 parotidectomies with radical neck disections for cancer, 2 dozen melanoma cases, a handful of sarcoma cases,removed 150+ skin cancers, drained about a dozen septic mediastinums, and was first on the scene with a number of septic necrotizing fascitis or fournier's gangrene type scenarios.

I think there are misconceptions about what a great many of us do.

You do radical neck dissections for cancer in plastics? Is that common? Did you go through ENT? I didn't know that was part of plastics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well physicianartist, that observation unfortunately reflects the distorted view and ignorance of the general public against plastic surgeons, particularly those who focus on aesthetic surgery.

First off, nowhere in the Hippocratic oath, or in medical school is there a mission statement that physicians must save lives in order to fulfill our duties as physicians. We must strive to do no harm and improve patients lives. There are the dramatic examples of trauma surgeons, oncologists, and at times, ER physicians who are on the front lines and can at times, directly save lives. However, for the majority of physicians, we increase the lifespan of our physicians, ease suffering, improve the quality of life and combat disease which could eventually snuff out lives.

As droliver has pointed out plastic surgeons often perform melanoma excisions, necrotizing fasciitis debridements, and facial tumor excisions which can potentially save lives. Further, plastic surgeons often provide critical burns care which is often life-saving and at least greatly life improving. As a resident, I assisted in sternal debridements which potentially saved lives from catastrophic infection, prosthetic graft debridement and reconstruction in vascular patients as well as treatment of infection which can spiral to sepsis and death.

I would point out also that reconstruction, for breast, facial, hand, oncological and trauma purposes, while perhaps not necessarily life-saving, do much for decreasing the morbidity and suffering of a patient and greatly improving the quality of life of a patient which echoes the tenets of the Hippocratic oath. Is replanting a hand or correcting the deformities of cleft lip/nose/palate not worthwhile endeavors as a physician and surgeon?

Finally, I would argue that in many cases, aesthetic surgery does improve the quality of life for many patients. Certainly, one can argue that a fair amount of this may seem superfluous and unnecessary but who is anyone to necessarily judge a patient's life, self-confidence and measure of self-worth? When practicing aesthetics, the plastic surgeon makes a judgement call for him/herself to determine whether a cosmetic procedure will be of enough benefit to improve the patient's appearance and their quality of life. That is certainly the approach i will take in my aesthetics fellowship and I have seen a measure of satisfaction in myself from witnessing the growing confidence of some aesthetics patients just as I did in certain hand patients during my residency and hand fellowship.

If you choose plastic surgery as a field, it is worthwhile to remember the scope of our practice and particularly, the proud history of our field, ranging from Gillies to Mallard to Murray to Lister to the leaders of today. In the future, we will have to continue to dispel the distortion that the media have focused upon within the practices of a few individuals in aesthetic surgery. I am proud of the little good for patietns that I have performed to this point in my career and the considerable efforts of my mentors and colleagues continue to do to improve and sometimes, save lives.

You do radical neck dissections for cancer in plastics? Is that common? Did you go through ENT? I didn't know that was part of plastics.

No, I was general surgery then plastic surgery trained. I did maybe 5 or 6 neck disections as operating surgeon during my residency in addition to a lot of vascular surgery, H&N trauma & reconstructive surgery, and cosmetic surgery in the region.

Depending upon where you train you'll see more or less of these procedures. It's certainly a little more ENT-centric now then in the past as you suggest, particularly for primary parotid tumors.

If you do melanoma surgery or treat a lot of squamous cells on the head, you're going to end up with patients with local-regional mets which you should be prepared to deal with.

I've seen plastics do amazing things....Everybody thinks plastic surgeons wear cut off scrubs and do curls in between cases ala Dr. 90210, but the recon stuff I've seen them do absolutely impresses the hell out of me.

I am a Chinese plastic surgeon major in aesthetic surgery such as blepharoplasty, rhinoplasty, face lifting, liposuction and so on. In my 10-years career, I have indepently completed thousands of procedures.

In China, we will encounter the same question as said. But we consider the significance of the speciality more in the field of psychology.

With the development of the civilization and modernization, people have already extend much of their lifespan. So they want a better quality of their life. Cosmetic surgery is actually a surgery of psyche. Manipulations and operations are only tools and methods.It is the confidence- repair and reconstruction that the real destination is.

At 8 years old I fell of my bike and took most of the flesh off of my chin. An ER resident at my local hospital wanted to throw in 4 stitches and send me on my way. My father insisted on getting me a plastic surgeon; he arrived several hours later and spent much time and effort stitching everything back together layer by layer. I was left with barely a scar.

Did this man save my life? No. But I am eternally grateful that he did save my psyche from adolescent torture. I am certain that my social life, dating experiences and even my professional life to this day have been "saved" by this surgeon. Had I grown up with a huge facial defect, my life would necessarily be very different.

I have no interest in plastics as a career, but I will forever respect the profession. People who make derogatory comments about PRS are simply naive.

Just mention the burn and trauma cases, and they'll understand.

I think that people have all these misconceptions becuase they see tools like Dr. 90210 and think that this reflects the entire field. When I was on my plastics electives, I saw and did so many cool things like a TRAM FLAP, they let me sew a thumb back on when we were on acute hand call and I've been in love with the field ever since.

It's such as shame that people do not see this side of the profession.

This is an INSULTING thread. Plastic surgeons are one of the most meticulous and thorough group of people i have had the opportunity to work with during my medical school education. Medicine is all about division of labors, hence the set up of multiple sub-specialties.

Don't forget Plastic Surgeons takes care of a variety of patients--burns, de-cubs, hand/brachial plexus injuries, jaw reconstructions, oculo-facial reconstructions, etc...

It's an IGNORANT comment to suggest that plastic surgeons do not have save lives. They not only save lives, but also improve pt's quality and functionality of life.

It's an IGNORANT comment to suggest that plastic surgeons do not have save lives. They not only save lives, but also improve pt's quality and functionality of life.

Relax, it was a fair question that led to some fairly insightful and informative postings. This BBS is supposed to help those that don't know (in your words, ignorant) but want to know. There are a lot of med students out there (and some doctors as well) that have no idea what a plastic surgeon does. Now they know.

Regards,

--M

Who cares? All of this "being a real doctor" stuff is simply BS made up by people in other specialties who need such feeling to get up every morning and go to work.

Plastics is sweet - I considered it. But, I was afraid I would end up having sex with all of my good looking patients. No joke. Seriously, I don't know how you guys don't get tempted. Hot women with poor self image issues who would gladly let you tap it for a nose or boob job. I think I would go out of business.

I knew my personality - and how weak I am when it comes to temptation. This is why I eliminated plastics (see above) and anesthesia (easy access to pharm. grade narcs).

So now I spend my time in the dark room away from these temptations which would have ruined my life (and marriage I imagine). Still - the occasional hot young rad tech tests me.

Who cares? All of this "being a real doctor" stuff is simply BS made up by people in other specialties who need such feeling to get up every morning and go to work.

Plastics is sweet - I considered it. But, I was afraid I would end up having sex with all of my good looking patients. No joke. Seriously, I don't know how you guys don't get tempted. Hot women with poor self image issues who would gladly let you tap it for a nose or boob job. I think I would go out of business.

I knew my personality - and how weak I am when it comes to temptation. This is why I eliminated plastics (see above) and anesthesia (easy access to pharm. grade narcs).

So now I spend my time in the dark room away from these temptations which would have ruined my life (and marriage I imagine). Still - the occasional hot young rad tech tests me.

a bit too much nip/tuck, radrules? lol, just busting..

Wouldn't it actually be worth it feeling like a stud for a while :idea: