Plant genetics research good for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted753535

Hello,

New member here. I'm an undergrad student and UC Davis and I wanted to use this forum to find information that's not readily available online and know what others' past experienced have been like. That being said, I have been extended the opportunity today for an internship in plant genetics. I will be learning a lot about lab techniques/molecular biology etc... I wanted to know if this opportunity is a waste of a one year minimum commitment, seeing that it is a plant based genetics research, or if it is in fact worth it and will make me a stronger applicant. The post doc said even though it is a plant lab, I will learn tools for other projects that will not be plant based. Any ideas? I appreciate any input.

Thank you,

-SK

Members don't see this ad.

Any type of hypothesis-driven research is good whether it be in plants, yeast, worms, or mice. What's more important is your involvement in the research. Will you eventually be given autonomy to design experiments? Can you join lab meetings and discuss the literature/project? If you're just going in to pipet liquids from one tube to another, it's not worth it; find a lab that will allow you to get that level of involvement, but keep in mind that it's a two-way street. As much as you want independence in a lab, you need to back up your talk and show dedication.

What the postdoc said is right. Many of the technical and analytical skills you gain from your first research experience should transfer over to not only work with other model organisms but also types of research (i.e. translation and clinical).