Plan of Action... advice welcome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGrl@2022

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow SDNers. I will be submitting my application in June. It has been a while since I have applied to medical school so I wanted some advice. I applied once in 2007.

I graduated in 2007 with a BS in Biochemistry and a minor in Psychology. 3.78 GPA probably higher science GPA. I had lots of extracurriculars and some awards.

Since I graduated I have been mostly doing research at the National Institutes of Health. I also worked at the University of Connecticut Health Center and done several odd jobs to pay the bills and rent. One year I just worked as a waitress because it was difficult finding a research job in the economy (I kept trying though). I currently work at NIH at the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. I have presented my research at conferences. I have published a couple abstracts. I am working on two publications.

I have done some volunteering since graduating. Mostly health outreach and education. I volunteered for a year-ish at the International Rescue Committee, developing some health care education activities and materials for refugees and asylees (unfortunately, I never directly worked with refugees/asylees at that time). I currently volunteer as a health care educator for a women's shelter, before this I was a volunteer mentor for a family and tutored their children.

Part of my issue is letters of recommendation, there was very little/no oversight in volunteer experiences. Thus, I don't think it is possible to get a letter of recommendation from the organizations that I volunteered from. I am planning to get a letter of recommendation from my PI, my supervising post-doc at NIH, and my professor/advisor from undergrad. I do clinical research and my supervising post-doc is an MD and he can speak to my clinical abilities. My PI can speak to my research abilities. My undergrad professor/advisor, can talk about me as a student, leader, organizer, etc.

I just took the MCAT and I am thinking about retaking in August or late July because I think I could have done better. I was getting 28-30s on my practices and I was aiming for a 34-38. I definitely think I am capable of a 34, though.

The University of Maryland is my first choice (I heard their average MCAT score is a 32). I have lived in MD for 5 years and paid taxes here. I am not sure if I am technically a resident though. Is paying taxes enough? I really want to stay in the north east. I am open to DO schools. I actually did a summer research program under the mentorship of a DO and I thought he was great and I thought DO schools were great too. However, I have not spoken with him for 5+ years and I am unsure if I could get in contact with him again. I heard you need to have a letter of recommendation from a DO if you want to apply to DO schools. Also, my background is mostly research and education. I think clinical experience is my weak area.

Should I just contact doctors in hospitals and ask if I can shadow them? I wanted to do a scribe program but I am unsure if I can commit to the hours especially since I am working full time and I probably will need to restudy for the MCAT and apply.

If you have any advice please let me know. I really want to get in this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you need more clinical experience. Cold calling for shadowing is a good way. So is scribing. Does your college run an alumni list? Look for local physicians on it. Also think about shadowing in an outpatient setting, including primary care.

LoR -- Yes, think carefully about how well people know you and can comment on meaningful aspects of yourself.

Grades -- you worked hard. good work.

MCAT -- What was your recent score?

What happened with your application in 2007? # applied to? interviews? DO/MD?

Google your residency question about the University of Maryland.