Plan for gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych1985

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I just completed a post-bacc program and am applying this cycle. I am applying for some jobs at my local hospitals. I will either get my CNA, be a Patient Observation Assistant, or Mental Health Tech. I plan on working 20-32 hrs per week (whatever I need to get the benefits). I will also begin volunteering at an AIDS clinic as that is something I have never done before but would be interested in.

Mainly, I'm feeling like its going to be weird for me not to be a student as this would be my first year not taking any classes. I can't take any higher level sciences courses because there are not really any universities nearby with a big selection. I found an online graduate certificate program with the courses based given through the microbiology department. The program focuses mainly on bioterrorism. It seems pretty interesting. Would earning this certificate really do anything for my application? I'm a nerd and I like to learn haha but are schools just really not going to care at all?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they're really going to care about the bioterrorism stuff, so I wouldn't bother unless you're really interested in it. Besides, med schools probably won't see the grades in time for it to help your application anyway.

It's good that you're working in health care full time--that shows commitment to the field. Stick with that, do a little non-medical community service on the side and you should be fine.

I substitute taught during my year of application. Good money, easy to take off for interviews and people seemed very interested in it when I interviewed....especially if you are interested in working with children and teens. After all, a doctor has to be a good teacher.