Plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socal78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on what should I do to make myself a better applicant. I just turned 28 and finished my prereqs in Aug, so my app wasn't verified until Nov. I have a 31(11v10bs10ps) 3.2gpa 3.0science, no research or stellar volunteer activities. I am now just finishing secondaries, all auto-invites. I don't believe that I have much of a chance of getting in this year b/c of applying so late. I am also UMR, but i don't really want to get into med school because of my partial ethnicity. I am considering three options to improve my desirability for the next cycle:

1. Apply to an SMP such as georgetown or upenn for next year, not take the mcat again, more volunteer activities, plus research. Apply again in a year

2. Get a masters degree in Biology or someother science...apply again in a year.

3. Stay where I am and take the mcat again. i know i could do better. I didn't really study that much for it, as i was taking ochem2 the same time during the summer. Volunteer some more. Apply again this june.

4. Take some advance science classes at my local university this spring(biochem, microbio, immunology, genetics). Try to do some research and meaningful volunteer work. Maybe take the mcat again? Apply this june.

5. cross my fingers and hope that i will get in this year.

Members don't see this ad.

In all honesty, maybe you could consider another profession. When you apply the next time, you'll be 29 and enter medical school when you're 30. Although people have previously applied when in their late 20s early 30s, you have to REALLY want to be a doctor to do that, especially considering the fact that you won't have a true job until you are 37 at the earliest. Then again, if being a doctor is your highest priority, go for it! You definitely need to improve your MCAT and GPA if possible. You're MCAT is fine, but you might want to beef it up to make up for your low GPA. Also, community service, extracurricular activities, and all that jazz is a must.

Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty, maybe you could consider another profession. When you apply the next time, you'll be 29 and enter medical school when you're 30. Although people have previously applied when in their late 20s early 30s, you have to REALLY want to be a doctor to do that, especially considering the fact that you won't have a true job until you are 37 at the earliest...
There's plenty of people in their 30s and older both on this website and in medical school, so 29 is not bad by any stretch of imaginiation.

I think your #4 is the best. You don't need to "fix" your MCAT - there's a point of diminishing returns on those - and your GPA could benefit from some boost. You didn't mention if you have any clinical experience. Did you get your hands dirty? Did you ever smell a patient? Really use this year (if you have to - maybe you'll get in) and get some good experience. Also apply earlier. When AMCAS opens, make sure that your transcripts are on their way and submit that day.

Are you kidding me, at many medical schools including the one in my state, the average age for their medical students is 27. Being a little older and applying to med school shows that this was a well thought out decision and that you have more world experience under your belt. DO NOT let the fact that you are in your late twenties influence your decision on medical school. If anything you should probably put some energy into volunteering or working in a hospital. The process of a medical education is a marathon not a sprint. By the way your MCAT is very good. :D :D :D

I suggest you get some strong clinical volunteer experience, wet your feet in a semester of research possibly over the summer, and take more classes.

I don't think that a masters program is necessary. I would suggest a post-bac with classes you know you can improve your GPA in and science classes are of course your best bet. So get in a lab and do the volunteering. I suggest you get all of this done before the summer is over so you can put it on your AMCAS for next year.

So I would suggest you start volunteering soon. ERs are the generic answer to your questions, but I think if you did a little clinical research if your school offers it then you could take care of two things at once.

I need some advice on what should I do to make myself a better applicant. I just turned 28 and finished my prereqs in Aug, so my app wasn't verified until Nov. I have a 31(11v10bs10ps) 3.2gpa 3.0science, no research or stellar volunteer activities. I am now just finishing secondaries, all auto-invites. I don't believe that I have much of a chance of getting in this year b/c of applying so late. I am also UMR, but i don't really want to get into med school because of my partial ethnicity. I am considering three options to improve my desirability for the next cycle:

1. Apply to an SMP such as georgetown or upenn for next year, not take the mcat again, more volunteer activities, plus research. Apply again in a year

2. Get a masters degree in Biology or someother science...apply again in a year.

3. Stay where I am and take the mcat again. i know i could do better. I didn't really study that much for it, as i was taking ochem2 the same time during the summer. Volunteer some more. Apply again this june.

4. Take some advance science classes at my local university this spring(biochem, microbio, immunology, genetics). Try to do some research and meaningful volunteer work. Maybe take the mcat again? Apply this june.

5. cross my fingers and hope that i will get in this year.

Well, if you've already applied, then definitely cross your fingers and hope that you will get in this year. You probably won't, however, due solely to the fact that your application was turned in so late this year.

The mcat score is nice, and you might want to consider doing a year's worth of graduate work to show that you are capable of handling the rigors of medical school. You also definitely want to gain some useful clinical experience; shadowing a doctor would be best because it would also give you a letter of reference from someone in the profession. Good luck!

i have the exact same stats as you, 31, 3.2 and 3.0. the 31 was on my third try after going down significantly on my second try. don't take the MCATs again. my own opinion. i applied early and have 1 acceptance and more interviews than i expected. i already graduated, i work in research, volunteer on the weekends, and can take free advanced classes at my place of work.
( i actually took biochem, microbio, immunology, genetics in that order). so i vote for number 4 too.

your mcat score is competetive...however your gpa is not.

if you dont get in this year, i would do a smp (there are many schools that offer smp other than georgetown so i would look around)

i dont thing you can earn a masters degree in 1 year...usually it takes 2 years so probably the smp is the best way to go...that will help solidify your interest in medical school and could be a really academic enhancer if you do well in it. plus there are some perks sometimes with smp's like automatic interviews if you meet some standard. otherwise your not too late to apply to med schoo too..i know of a few doctors who had previous employment as teachers, etc. and went to medical school when they were in there 30's.

just go for it (i would suggest smp) and stick to your plan and you'll get in

thanks for the advice everyone. i am going with option number 4. im still not sure about retaking the mcat. i would really like to raise my score by 5 points to offset my low gpa, but then again taking it again is such a gamble.

thanks for the advice everyone. i am going with option number 4. im still not sure about retaking the mcat. i would really like to raise my score by 5 points to offset my low gpa, but then again taking it again is such a gamble.

Ya, don't take the mcat again. Use the money for additional classes to raise the gpa. Have you considered DO schools? :)

Apply to a DO school. You get in someplace. Your GPA isn't that great, but your MCAT is doable.

Don't mess with your MCAT; it's just fine.

Take some additional science classes this spring semester and ace them.

Get some good solid volunteer experience....not just shadowing. Try to find a project you can implement as a volunteer. Will show commitment and leadership skills. Be creative!

You are NOT too old. I am 38 and graduating in May. I am not the oldset in my class.

Set up a meeting with someone from admissions in your top choice school and get their feedback on your application

:thumbup: If you don't get in this time around.... Get some clinical experience, try shadowing, clinical research, EMS (they always need help) and then apply early next year for allopathic or osteopathic which ever you wish. You may want to work on pulling up your gpa as others have stated. Good luck!