plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

need_help_now98

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be a dermatologist, but I do not know if my numbers will be good enough to get accepted into the program so I am trying to come up with a back up plan. Are there any other medical jobs that you guys can recommend that are similar to this low stressed, good hours, and specialized field? The job does not have to be related to skin; it’s the lifestyle that I am looking for. What was your back up plan? Thank-you

Members don't see this ad.

By looking at your other posts and your profile, I would guess you are an undergrad student. How do you know your numbers aren't good enough to get into a dermatology residency?

I can say this for sure: your motivation is definitely incorrect and will leave you feeling very angry and unsatisfied. If lifestyle is what you're after, medicine isn't for you. Try dentistry.

cdql said:
I can say this for sure: your motivation is definitely incorrect and will leave you feeling very angry and unsatisfied. If lifestyle is what you're after, medicine isn't for you. Try dentistry.

I would suggest orthodontics.
300k to 500k+ a year
can work <5 days a week/<36 hours a week
no real emergencies
no real call
no one dies

Unless you develop a real interest in the field of dermatology, you may find it hard to match anywhere anyway, numbers aside. Everyone wants to do derm for the lifestyle. but some people want to do it out of interest. All things being equal, they'll beat you out every time.