Placental malaria and foetal anaemia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kafui

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just came across this new forum and agree with the others that it's a really great idea.
I am currently doing something on the above topic at the Korle bu Teaching hospital, Ghana.We have just finished collecting our data and the results are quite intersting.
The aim was to find a correlation between placental malaria and foetal anaemia, we took placental blood soon after delivery and made thin and thick films which we analyze for the parasites.In addition both mother and baby blood samples are taken for Hb analysis.It has been interesting,being a vacation voluntary work...comments and suggestions are welcome from all.

Members don't see this ad.

awesome :)
amazing

Hmm, does is an interesting sign in name...especially in my language.
Anyway just wanted to say thanks for bothering to comment on my thread. We finished the work some three months ago and got it published in a local medical journal.The results were indeed interesting:
1.We found a significant amount of placental malaria cases among the over 60 samples we analyzed.
2.Contrary to our hypothesis there appears not to be a correlation between placental malaria and foetal anaemia,
3.Infact there is even the suggestion that placental malaria could rather be an enhancing factor to the immunity observed in newborns against malaria, but this suggestion has little scientific proof and we hope to be able to try to establish it's truth or otherwise in the near future.
Thanks once again for your comment, and if you are one interested in resaerch then lets keep in touch and share ideas.