Placement Tests

FM7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this summer when I go in to sign up for classes I have to take placement tests in english, chemistry, and math. What are these like? I'm more curious about chem and math. I kind of picture the math being like the math section on the ACT.. but what about chem? Would you say it's more concept based than mathematical? I definitely dont' remember equations... I'm not worried or anything though, just curious and want to know what to expect.

Members don't see this ad.

I, too, have to take the math and chemistry placement tests.

I took Advanced Chemistry as a sophomore, but I can't recall all that much about what we learned. I'm afraid of doing poorly on this test and it being seen as a deficiency in science, when in reality my poor score is a result of being so far removed from learning the material and not an actual incapability of doing well in chemistry courses.

At the college I'm going to, you have to get a certain score on it to be placed in Principles of Chemistry (which is required by my major). If you score below the cutoff, you take General Chemistry (which doesn't count toward my major). So, I'd still have to take Principles of Chemistry after General Chemistry if I were to not get an adequate score--that would set me back quite a bit.

Should I study for it? I really don't want to have to take both courses.

Last edited:
Hey yeah I'm in the same position for chemistry. I don't remember much but i'm sure I would be fine once i got caught up. I don't want to be placed in the super basic introductory class either.. I might just go over some stuff on my own a week or two prior to orientation and scheduling

I had a similar test for Gchem, they're really just testing to see if you need to take a pre-general chemistry class, and so they make the test with the assumption that you haven't had chemistry in a few years. The questions should be easy enough that it comes back to you during the test, don't stress, and it's nothing you really need to study for.

English tests are to see that you are a fluent english writer, and are more or less if you can string a few paragraphs togeather to be put in Freshman level english.... and if you took any AP english classes (but didn't pass the AP test I guess), Freshman english is a joke for the most part.

Math tests are also pretty easy if you're ok with math, they keep it basic enough to a point where they ask you questions with material that is introduced in previous classes that you should have taken, for example if you're testing into Calc, they'll ask some basic pre-calc questions to more or less see if you took the class and remember anything.

Placements tests aren't meant to be hard, they're just meant for you to show what classes you've already taken.