Pitt vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyek123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have opinions on these two schools? I loved both schools but Tufts is very close to home. Is there any validity in going to Tufts for a good support network? I don't know anyone in Pittsburgh but recognize that it is a higher ranked school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Any difference in COA? Any thoughts on the career you want?

To me being near my support system matters - I like to see my family and friends and likely wouldn't feel like I had to time to travel from Pitt to Boston. For other people though this doesn't really matter and they are fine just hanging out with their new medical school friends. That's a personal thing that is hard to gauge.

I thought that Tufts had a very friendly and supportive student feel - they seemed to care a lot about work-life balance from the students to the physicians to the administration - the many clinical sites were cool - the match list was strong I thought. I didn't interview at Pitt so I don't really have anything to say about that. I feel like Tufts has all of the opportunities that you need so I personally don't think the ranking difference is a big deal - or it wouldn't be for me - but I'm sure other people will vote for Pitt for the prestige

Reactions: 1 user
Not a significant difference in COA, but certainly Boston is the more expensive city. I could see myself wanting to go into a competitive specialty and possibly academic medicine. I've heard people say that going to a high ranked school is a must for this, but Tufts' match list looks very respectable, so I can't really tell if it would be that much harder to match into a competitive specialty from Tufts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a significant difference in COA, but certainly Boston is the more expensive city. I could see myself wanting to go into a competitive specialty and possibly academic medicine. I've heard people say that going to a high ranked school is a must for this, but Tufts' match list looks very respectable, so I can't really tell if it would be that much harder to match into a competitive specialty from Tufts.

You can still definitely match well from Tufts if you put the work in. But Pitt is considered a T20, so you will have an easier time matching into more sought out/competitive specialties and finding research opportunities from there, especially since you are interested in academics. Check out Pitt’s match list, for example. Nearly all of their IM matches are into top programs.

You will still have to put the work in, but Pitt may give you more “peace of mind” from that perspective.

Pitt.
Especially if you want to do a competitive specialty and academic medicine.
Pittsburgh is a cool place to go to medical school and all of the students we have taken from there have done really well in our residency.
Cost of living very reasonable too.
Go back to Boston for residency if you want.

What if Einstein was thrown into the mix? I'm on the waitlist there. Would Pitt still be the better choice?

Pitt unless you have a SO or family member with a health issue that needs you in Boston or tufts COA is significantly cheaper

Pitt is good if you're interested in academic medicine, but all 3 schools will leave all doors open for you in my opinion. So I would go wherever you're happiest or whichever is cheaper

Pitt is good if you're interested in academic medicine, but all 3 schools will leave all doors open for you in my opinion. So I would go wherever you're happiest or whichever is cheaper
Yeah but Pitt is a cut above the rest imo but if money is involved that is different.