Pimp Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavaor

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I was asked during a pimping session what is the name of the law which basically states that if a nerve traverses through a muscle, it will innervate that muscle. I wasn't able to find it in any ortho texts.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I'll give it a try, I belive this is in reference to Hilton's law. Here is the definition. Hope this helps.

Hilton's law
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hilton's law is the observation that in the study of anatomy, one often finds that a nerve that supplies a joint also tends to supply the muscles that move the joint, or the skin that covers the attachments of those muscles.

For example, the musculocutaneous nerve supplies the elbow joint of humans with pain and proprioception fibres. It also supplies biceps brachii, brachialis, and the forearm skin close to the insertion of each of those muscles.

Hilton's law arises as a result of the embryological development of humans (or indeed other animals).

Extensions of the law
Hilton's law is described above. Similar observations can be made, to extend the theory; often a nerve will supply both the muscles and skin relating to a particular joint. The observation often holds true in reverse - that is to say, a nerve that supplies skin or a muscle will often supply the applicable joint.