Pikeville College Class Of 2012!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys I just wanted to say hi to my new classmates! Class of 2012!!!! I look forward to all the time we'll be spending together. I was wondering if anyone knew the attrition rate for PCSOM?

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know how the elective rotations work? I know there are core rotation hospitals but if I was looking at a residency in hospital that is not a core rotation hospital then how can I get my foot in the door?

scdocusc and others who have been accepted to PCSOM for the Class of 2012: you should consider joining the facebook group "PCSOM Class of 2012" because many current students are members of the group, and they are very good at answering any and all of your questions. It has also been a great way to meet everyone starting at PCSOM in the fall, so feel free to join us!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I just sent my deposit in so I'm officially entering PCSOM!!!! we should have a class get together before orientation or something. Let me know what you guys think. I'll be sure to join the facebook group

does Pikeville rquire life insurance for students? How do you current students take care of life and health insurance? Just curious.

Hello Class of 2012,
I am a fourth year in Pikeville who will be leaving the state for residency. If anyone is interested in renting or buying a 2-3 bedroom 1.5 bath house PM me.

I've been doing a bit of research on PCSOM grads and their residencies. It's pretty impressive to see how many are in residencies in quality programs. I would definitely accept an offer for PCSOM over DCOM or VCOM any day. :)

Hey guys, I interviewed at Pikeville on Feb 8 and was accepted last week. I was really blown away by the enthusiasm of the staff and students. I'm ready to start hitting the books soon!

Hey everybody,

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall. We should all get together before school starts, does anyone know a good place to go?

I am really looking forward to starting at Pikeville, you are right, they are really enthuastic.

I have a friend who goes there and really loves it. Anyone who is interested in checking out the education that Pikeville has to offer should check out their video site.

Go to http://pcsomvideolibrary.com, the Login in is PCSOM and the password is VIDEOS all in caps, you should check them out. The one on snakebites is the best one.

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon, post if you know a good place to meet, or want to get together before school starts.

I believe that our class is trying to plan a BBQ for August 2. I'm sure if we get the word out it will be a smash. If you go on facebook there's more info.

Does anyone know what specific Laptop they provide to the 1st years? I heard that they have a 4 year coverage for repairs on them. If anyone has more info please pass it on.

Congrats on getting into PCSOM....If any of you have any questions feel free to ask away. I'm born and raised in Pikeville and a PCSOM grad of 2007 so I know the area pretty well.

i got the call this morning..i'm in!!..hooray! :clap:

Anyone know about PCSOM's stance on medical mission work to other nations? This is something I really want to do. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
during the powerpoint on the day of the interview they showed pictures of students doing medical mission work in the dominican republic..i've actually been on a mission trip to the dominican before and would be thrilled to go back as a medical student (and hopefully someday as a practicing physician)..however, that is all i know.

Sounds good. I hope our class can organize something to this effect. It would make a huge impact on world health even for two weeks of the year.

Just some more info I got in case people were wondering. I found out that there is a very extensive international medical missions program at PCSOM. It's not school run but student run. They go to places like the Dominican and Guatamala. Unfortunately the website does not convey these types of things but PCSOM has some really awesome opportunities to do international medical missions

I am a 4th year PCSOM student and I went on the mission trip to the Dominican Republic the summer between 1st and 2nd year. It was awesome! We raised all of our own money to go and got lots of supplies and medications donated to us. It is an experience that I will never forget and would encourage anyone going into medicine to do. If you have any questions, I'm happy to tell you what I know.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can start early to prevent pre-block burnout....Any advice on housing?

I would like to find a room in a house to rent, cheap house to rent or a small apartment and splitting with other med students wouldn't be out of the question either, any thoughts on living arrangements would be great....

lol... pre-block burnout is pretty much inevitable. If you study your butt off all block you will be pretty tired anyways. It is a long slow drain of energy. Good luck

Anybody know how full the class is now, about the waitlist movement, etc?

you should just call angel and ask. Does anyone have the match list for 2008 yet?

Hello Class of 2012,
I am in the class of 2008 and i will be leaving town after graduation. I am looking to sell my house. It is within minutes of PCSOM and would be great for an incoming med student. The house has 1.5 baths, 2-3 bedrooms and washer and dryer downstairs. If your interested PM me and we can make arrangements to see the house. If i can't find a reasonable buyer i may be looking to rent it out so that is also a possibility. Good luck guys!

Grats to all of you. I hope you enjoy your time at PCSOM. Pikeville is a beautiful place (I am biased, being from one hour away :) ). I was in the class of 2008. Are any of you from West Virginia?

For AT&T users, how's the signal up there? I interviewed in October and honestly can't remember!

I have At&t and don't really have any real issues with them. They actually have pretty good service through the entire East Ky area.

I have At&t and don't really have any real issues with them. They actually have pretty good service through the entire East Ky area.

Good to know. I am pretty attached to my iPhone! :D

We do stand by our view of PCSOM. I have yet to receive a PM from any PCSOM supportor.

PCSOM is a failing school. It is a possibility the new dean can fix the problems in the next 5-10 years.

My next question is, if PCSOM is such a wonderful school, a splendid student oriented staff why have they lost 50% of their teaching staff this past year. BTW the teaching staff quit they were not fired or left under pressure.

I have heard from a first year, well now she is a second year, the newly elected clinical ass't dean is Dr. Litman. This guy should not even be allowed in a class room. He maybe a good physician, but has the educational value of a stone. Oh yea, they are hiring somone from up north to take over the class work, maybe someone will finall learn omt. (FYI if he did not figure it out yet, the reason most folks did so well during his first 2 years is the fellows gave to answers on the test for the asking)

another news alert, the school has been thinking of moving off campus. Yup, they want to leave pikeville college, it seems the pcsom wants a bigger cut of the tuition. as it was told to me "we want to stop the flood of funds crossing the bridge in the wrong direction"

gosh guys, get it together, try to find one histo prof, you had a good one and let them go. Now the school uses the pharm/patho and other assorted instructors who don't hold degrees in histo to teach this class.........

sorry guys, before you say you have a GREAT school, fix it first...

why don't you just stop whining so much?

Last edited:
Who was the good histo prof that was let go?

I'm sorry to all of you incoming students who are having to deal with this trolling. Some people will be miserable wherever they are. Your education will be what you make of it. Best of luck to all of you! Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Who was the good histo prof that was let go?

I was told by the class of 2009 it was Doc Foster. He was there for one yr, got fed up with the politics on the hill and student abuse and left for greener pastures. i believe the physio staff left for the same school as foster, TENN...

i am a female student from 2008
be happy the navy crew is out, if they were attracted you had no problem with clinicals else you were hauled into the office an made to feel like fungus. a fellow female classmate ran out of the room in tears ...

what i hear now is they have a new dr. make you feel bad (well he is not new he was there when I started) dr. lurich, was talking to a fellow female classmate from 2010 they call him "dark lord" of PCSOM... must agree with my friend loaning my this username, i hope the new pres can turn the school around .

We do stand by our view of PCSOM. I have yet to receive a PM from any PCSOM supportor.

PCSOM is a failing school. It is a possibility the new dean can fix the problems in the next 5-10 years.

My next question is, if PCSOM is such a wonderful school, a splendid student oriented staff why have they lost 50% of their teaching staff this past year. BTW the teaching staff quit they were not fired or left under pressure.

I have heard from a first year, well now she is a second year, the newly elected clinical ass't dean is Dr. Litman. This guy should not even be allowed in a class room. He maybe a good physician, but has the educational value of a stone. Oh yea, they are hiring somone from up north to take over the class work, maybe someone will finall learn omt. (FYI if he did not figure it out yet, the reason most folks did so well during his first 2 years is the fellows gave to answers on the test for the asking)

another news alert, the school has been thinking of moving off campus. Yup, they want to leave pikeville college, it seems the pcsom wants a bigger cut of the tuition. as it was told to me "we want to stop the flood of funds crossing the bridge in the wrong direction"

gosh guys, get it together, try to find one histo prof, you had a good one and let them go. Now the school uses the pharm/patho and other assorted instructors who don't hold degrees in histo to teach this class.........

sorry guys, before you say you have a GREAT school, fix it first...

i am a female student from 2008
be happy the navy crew is out, if they were attracted you had no problem with clinicals else you were hauled into the office an made to feel like fungus. a fellow female classmate ran out of the room in tears ...

what i hear now is they have a new dr. make you feel bad (well he is not new he was there when I started) dr. lurich, was talking to a fellow female classmate from 2010 they call him "dark lord" of PCSOM... must agree with my friend loaning my this username, i hope the new pres can turn the school around .

I was told by the class of 2009 it was Doc Foster. He was there for one yr, got fed up with the politics on the hill and student abuse and left for greener pastures. i believe the physio staff left for the same school as foster, TENN...

Man... intern year must not be as taxing as they say... since you've certainly got ample time to troll this thread. How about we just agree to disagree... and allow the incoming students to form their own opinions of the school. Like you said, it's a very different school now than when we were on campus so, really... our opinions don't matter that much, anyway.

So, random people from 2008, hope your intern year is treating you well. To classes current and future... Good luck and I hope your experiences fall more on my side of the coin :)

Nicely said Jacquie. Sounds like some of our 2008 predecessors still have their panties in a wad about not getting into any other medical schools and having to come to little old PCSOM. Quite frankly, I'm glad they're gone as well as a bunch of the old faculty. Big changes are happening at PCSOM, but it's all for the better. It's a shame that these 2008ers can't reflect with a little bit of pride on the school that got them their degree. Oh, and you don't have to name yourselves... I can narrow it down to two or three just by the attitudes. There really is no reason for you to deter prospectives away from the school though, now is there? Now back to studying...

PCSOM 2009

Nicely said Jacquie. Sounds like some of our 2008 predecessors still have their panties in a wad about not getting into any other medical schools and having to come to little old PCSOM. Quite frankly, I'm glad they're gone as well as a bunch of the old faculty. Big changes are happening at PCSOM, but it's all for the better. It's a shame that these 2008ers can't reflect with a little bit of pride on the school that got them their degree. Oh, and you don't have to name yourselves... I can narrow it down to two or three just by the attitudes. There really is no reason for you to deter prospectives away from the school though, now is there? Now back to studying...

PCSOM 2009

Wow, bunch of trash talking going on here…. Sad really. I was in the class of 2008, I don’t like being lumped together as a “bad class” and if you are glad we are gone, ok well best of luck and all.

Let’s be clear, PCSOM is no dream land. It has problems and flaws. So what? Where doesn’t?

The truth is PCSOM helped me get everything I wanted. I have an ACGME residency at a very competitive EM program, I am a doctor, and I am no longer in KY.

You want to know how to do well in PCSOM and in life? Stop bitching, start working hard and keep your head down. Get in get out and get what you want. No one is going to just hand it to you no matter where you go. The people that trash the school on this website could not cut it or could not take the pressure. Now they are bitter. Sucks to be them.

Best of luck to all the new students. Medical school is what you make of it. If you want to be a rock star, then work you ass off and be one. If you want to slide by and not work hard, do us all a favor and don’t bitch on the SDN when you realize it is your fault you didn’t reach your dreams.

PCSOM gave me everything I wanted and it can do it for you IF you work for it. I know all you new folks can do it and you will. The staff is more than happy to help you all the way if you ask. Don’t be shy.

Good luck, and feel free to ask me anything.
To all the nay-sayers, shut up.

Eric Stanley
PGY-1
MCV-VCUHS
Emergency Medicine

Sorry Eric... that was targeted toward the "got-it" nay-sayers--NOT the rest of 2008. Of course we miss you. And it's sort of refreshing to no longer be referred to as the USS Pikeville :laugh: It's a little strange walking the halls of PMC without you and Ekey and those guys. Good luck with EM.

Sorry Eric... that was targeted toward the "got-it" nay-sayers--NOT the rest of 2008. Of course we miss you. And it's sort of refreshing to no longer be referred to as the USS Pikeville :laugh: It's a little strange walking the halls of PMC without you and Ekey and those guys. Good luck with EM.

Cheers man, no worries. Keep them all in line down there at PMC. :)

E-

from what I know so far. I believe PCSOM is becoming progressive with curriculum and trying maximize board scores. They are following the template of many leading institutions.

When folks become addicted it depends if they are people that the military strain like or invoke support in the staff.

I recently read this old quote by got-it. Addicted to what? Perhaps this explains the constant whining. Seems some growing up and accepting of personal responsibility is in order here.

Hello. I was in the class of 2005. I would like to add my perspective for the incoming students who are bad mouthing the school.

First off, it's just a school, nothing fancy. There isn't a lot of money like you may find at VCOM. However, the professors really care about you learning what you need to learn to be a good physician. They are always willing to help. And quite honestly, if you study and truly try to learn the material, it doesn't matter what school you go to.

Secondly, there are some bad professors. We had them, some are still there and there are some new ones that I have unfortunately had the pleasure of meeting during my time in residency. One in particular I would like to punch in the face. With that said, most are very good or at least good. You will get the info you need to become a doctor. Also, the problems with all the professors quitting has been going on for quite some time. I think part of it is due to politics and partly due to the area. There's just not a lot to do around there. My classmates and I thought the school was going to close anyday and it's still standing. I guess that thought has carried on through other classes. I do think there was a gross misuse of our money during my time there.

I've not heard that the school is wanting to move off campus? Where are they thinking of moving?

As far as OMT goes, Ed G is the man. I personally hate OMT and will never use it - ever, but if you like it and want to learn it, you can't beat Ed G. True, the fellows did give us the answers to the tests, but does it really matter? When you apply for residency and when you are trying to take care of a critically ill patient and on and on, is it really gonna matter if someone gave you the answers to the OMT test? My personal opinion is learn it if you like it, but you should be spending way more time on the other stuff...pharmacology, physiology, pathology - that is what is gonna make you stand out as a 3rd and 4th year student. I am yet to see an attending who cares if you can do OMT or not.

So, for those of you who have recently been accepted - congrats! I think you will be happy at PCSOM overall. I think I got a great education. I may not have thought that while there, but after being in residency and now in fellowship, I can see that we actually did learn what we needed and more. Just go there with a good attitude and know you're gonna have to study and everything will be fine.

I would just like to leave you with a motto that will get you by in almost any situation..."it's better to live wet than die dry"

Amen...I feel the same way. I got an osteopathic internal medicine residency out of PCSOM and I am now in an ACGME pulmonary fellowship at the university of south carolina. I think I got everything I needed and maybe a little more.

Oh, I also see that Dr. Betz is coming back! You should be glad. The military crew was a little crazy and I think there may be one or two left??? For all you who like to study and learn, look me and my wife up in August of 2010...me and my wife will be back at PMC to practice pulmonary/critical care and nephrology, respectively. You also have to like to eat - or you will fail your rotation!

Does anyone have any advice in terms of locating housing in Pikeville or is willing to sublet their apt for 5 weeks? I'll be doing a rotation in Pikeville in July and I'm having such a hard time in finding housing!

Please help me

Lynn