Picked up my grades, still scared about applying/chances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MalagenaSaleros

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soon to be 5th year senior, wondering what my chances are for MD schools.

I had horrible grades my first two years of college. Largely because of a number of family problems, included illness in the family and the great emotional/financial strain it caused, my abusive father trying relentlessly to contact me, and subsequent personal health problems (I was both borderline diabetic and obese) I had no energy, was constantly miserable, and just wanted to go home and spend time with my family. My first two winter breaks back home we lived in a tiny studio together, and I slept on the sofa, because my family couldn't afford proper furniture.

Luckliy, I had a full scholarship to a private midwest university.

current cGPA: 3.6

My first semester, I got straight As in general/core courses and a C in Math.

My second semester:

Italian BC
History BC
English A
Calculus W
Biology B

Sophomore I:

Anatomy: A
Chemistry 1 : C
Sociology: C
Italian: B
Philosophy: AB

Sophomore II:

Anatomy II : AB
Theology : AB
Biology 2 :AB
Italian: BC
Chem 2 : W

*Retook Chem 2 at a local branch of the state university and earned an A.

I really realized at the end of this year that I needed to take time off and figure out where I was going in life. I dropped Chem 2 because it was my worst class ( I failed the first exam and was failing lab) but realized I did want to pursue this path, no matter what. I came back fall semester with 70 pounds gone, and a new drive.

Junior I:

Organic Chemistry: A
Diseases of the Brain: A
English Literature : A
Philosophy: A
Advanced Biology Lab :A

Junior II

Organic Chemistry II: A
Biochemistry: AB
Statistics: A
Culture and Health: A
Psychology Elective: A

Senior I:

Microbiology: A
Physics I: A
Genetics: A
History Elective: A

Senior II:
Physiology : A
General Pathology: A
Physics II: A
1 Credit Ethics Course: A
(light semester for taking MCAT)

I take the MCAT in May. Practice tests I've been shooting around 30 or so. Hoping for that or slightly higher. I still have one more year left (i have some courses for my major that I haven't finished yet and I was undecided my first year) but I expect a continued trend upwards. I'm really interested in Medical College of Wisconsin and Loyal Stritch School of Medicine.

Misc:

• ECs: 300 hours of volunteer work a year (mostly hospital and meal programs)
  • 5 executive board positions, not all related to pre-med/health
  • Several service trips completed, one health-care related.
  • Some research experience (light, for faculty member)
  • 60+ hours of shadowing - surgery, cardiology, family practice, etc.
  • Full Scholarship to current university
  • Hispanic, wisconsin resident. Member of Hispanic/Latina-based sorority.
  • Fluent in Spanish, intermediate French
  • Personal background of poverty and homelessness, work extensively now with those populations.
  • First generation college student.
  • FWI, substantial weightless of 150 pounds during my last two years. Personal health-related experience?

Do I still have a shot at my dream, given my extremely rocky start? How in-depth should I go into my personal struggles. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for poor grades, but at the same time I really do feel it was difficult for me to concentrate my first two years of college given everything that was happening in my personal life.

Members don't see this ad.

26+ on the MCAT and you can get into low ranked MD. 28+ any non-top 20. Get a 32+ and top 20 is very realistic.

26+ on the MCAT and you can get into low ranked MD. 28+ any non-top 20. Get a 32+ and top 20 is very realistic.

I concur. Thank you for not bloating up the stats :thumbup:

OP, you are a URM, with an incredible upward trend, and actually a decent average GPA. Do well on your MCAT (~30), and you'll do well in the cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a very good chance...Its true you had a rocky start but your grades have improved! It`s good that you`re getting all A`s. That`s really impressive. Your ec`s are not bad as well. Its seems like you have a lot of long-term non-clinical activities. What would benefit is maybe doing some research. Also, have you ever had a job? Maybe getting a job in hospital or where you are interacting with patients would help! Just make sure that you EC`s are meaningful..and not just a random club that you have done..because I don`t think Medical schools care about clubs. Your EC`s are not bad..GOOD LUCK!!! :D

Hispanic, you're good to go at a Top 20 with a 30+ MCAT score imo

Soon to be 5th year senior, wondering what my chances are for MD schools.

I had horrible grades my first two years of college. Largely because of a number of family problems, included illness in the family and the great emotional/financial strain it caused, my abusive father trying relentlessly to contact me, and subsequent personal health problems (I was both borderline diabetic and obese) I had no energy, was constantly miserable, and just wanted to go home and spend time with my family. My first two winter breaks back home we lived in a tiny studio together, and I slept on the sofa, because my family couldn't afford proper furniture.

Luckliy, I had a full scholarship to a private midwest university.

current cGPA: 3.6

My first semester, I got straight As in general/core courses and a C in Math.

My second semester:

Italian BC
History BC
English A
Calculus W
Biology B

Sophomore I:

Anatomy: A
Chemistry 1 : C
Sociology: C
Italian: B
Philosophy: AB

Sophomore II:

Anatomy II : AB
Theology : AB
Biology 2 :AB
Italian: BC
Chem 2 : W

*Retook Chem 2 at a local branch of the state university and earned an A.

I really realized at the end of this year that I needed to take time off and figure out where I was going in life. I dropped Chem 2 because it was my worst class ( I failed the first exam and was failing lab) but realized I did want to pursue this path, no matter what. I came back fall semester with 70 pounds gone, and a new drive.

Junior I:

Organic Chemistry: A
Diseases of the Brain: A
English Literature : A
Philosophy: A
Advanced Biology Lab :A

Junior II

Organic Chemistry II: A
Biochemistry: AB
Statistics: A
Culture and Health: A

Senior I:

Microbiology: A
Physics I: A
Genetics: A
History Elective: A

Senior II:
Physiology : A
General Pathology: A
Physics II: A
1 Credit Ethics Course: A
(light semester for taking MCAT)

I take the MCAT in May. Practice tests I've been shooting around 30 or so. Hoping for that or slightly higher. I still have one more year left (i have some courses for my major that I haven't finished yet and I was undecided my first year) but I expect a continued trend upwards. I'm really interested in Medical College of Wisconsin and Loyal Stritch School of Medicine.

Misc:

• ECs: 300 hours of volunteer work a year (mostly hospital and meal programs)
  • 5 executive board positions, not all related to pre-med/health
  • Several service trips completed, one health-care related.
  • Some research experience (light, for faculty member)
  • 60+ hours of shadowing - surgery, cardiology, family practice, etc.
  • Full Scholarship to current university
  • Hispanic, wisconsin resident. Member of Hispanic/Latina-based sorority.
  • Fluent in Spanish, intermediate French
  • Personal background of poverty and homelessness, work extensively now with those populations.
  • First generation college student.
  • FWI, substantial weightless of 150 pounds during my last two years. Personal health-related experience?
Do I still have a shot at my dream, given my extremely rocky start? How in-depth should I go into my personal struggles. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for poor grades, but at the same time I really do feel it was difficult for me to concentrate my first two years of college given everything that was happening in my personal life.
Wow! Amazing grade turnaround and also, impressive results when you took charge of your health issues. I think your ECs will get you some attention despite the "light" research.

Regarding your personal struggles, you will need to set the right balance between what you might include in the Disadvantaged section of the Primary application if you choose to use it, what to use in your PS as part of your journey to medicine, and what you discuss in various Secondary essays about A challange you overcame, A stess and how you managed it, or Tell us about any blips in your academic road. I would hope you have a knowledgeable prehealth advisor who can help you as you craft your essays, so you show to best advantage.