PI asked me if I want to do anything with the data, and I don't really understand what that means?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gohogwild

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad in a behavioral neuroscience lab and I am heading a research project with another student. The data concerns guinea pig behavior and today my PI asked me today "will you be doing anything with the data?" and that kinda scared the **** out of me because it's like aren't we already doing something with this data?? Like this project that we're working on already exists?

I was also asked this question in a completely separate situation by the grad student who is my direct supervisor, so that made me assume that it is something common, which leads me to SDN to ask, what are they talking about? Like I am unable to form a proper google search.

I don't know what it means entirely- or how to go about doing this- or if it is a good idea or necessary?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely they are asking you if you want to head up some analysis for a presentation or publication. The latter especially isn't necessarily an expectation for all projects, especially for undergrads and especially in pre-clinical research. This is a good thing. You're basically being offered an opportunity to turn this project into something beyond just an undergrad thesis (or whatever it may be).

Assuming this is true I'd say something like "I'd love to but I definitely need some guidance! Can we set up a meeting to talk about potential opportunities, what you think we could do with this data and how we would move forward?"

Reactions: 7 users
It's the research equivalent of a late night invitation to come over and "watch a movie". Don't ruin it by asking too many questions.

Translation: "I am inviting you to: come up with a research question that can be answered with this data, do the analysis, write the paper as first author under my guidance."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely they are asking you if you want to head up some analysis for a presentation or publication. The latter especially isn't necessarily an expectation for all projects, especially for undergrads and especially in pre-clinical research. This is a good thing. You're basically being offered an opportunity to turn this project into something beyond just an undergrad thesis (or whatever it may be).

Assuming this is true I'd say something like "I'd love to but I definitely need some guidance! Can we set up a meeting to talk about potential opportunities, what you think we could do with this data and how we would move forward?"
Thank you so much. This really cleared things up and I appreciate you giving the example of what to say!

It's the research equivalent of a late night invitation to come over and "watch a movie".

Translation: "I am inviting you to: come up with a research question that can be answered with this data, do the analysis, write the paper as first author under my guidance."
Lmao thank you PsyDr!

It's the research equivalent of a late night invitation to come over and "watch a movie". Don't ruin it by asking too many questions.

I want a PsyDr version of Creed Thoughts.
1628292307376.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Like one of skinner's pigeon guided missiles, my single mindedness only works if I have a target.
I can give you topics to riff off of, if that's what you need to get going.