Physiology lab practical exam-what am I doing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neva525

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm in 2nd year of college. I'm writing you in hopes you can tell me how to properly do capillary puncture from the finger of a hand. I don't know if you guys had to do it for your physiology practical exams, but I have to. I need to do it in order to pass my physiology exam (among other assignments). I had failed the exam because I didn't know how to do it.

What's the problem? I simply can't suck the blood into the capillary. If you are not sure what I'm talking about find on youtube capillary puncture and you'll see. I watched the videos, I followed the advice...but no results. I even got that capillary thingy and when I tried I couldn't do it. I felt the exact same emotions as I did during practical exam ''look at you, you have no idea''.

How I do it?
I put capillary to the blood and hope the blood will overflow into the capillary. Professors explained that's the way it should be done. I try to do it like that, but I can't get the blood in. I don't know what's wrong...Not to mention that I get anxious and feel like I don't what I'm doing...which is the truth.

If you can give me advice and tell me how you managed to do it I would so grateful or anything that might help me...You have no idea how much this is stressing me out... I literally have a couple of days to pull myself together...i'm scared.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you put one end in the blood and the other in your mouth and suck until the tube is full. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for you answer, but it's not allowed to do it that way, nor there is enough blood, literally a small round drop, from the fingertip...The only acceptable way is to put capillary into the blood and wait for it to fill up... it needs to be in horizontal position in order for blood to flow in... this is how it looks like :(
Resim4-5-300x159.jpg

Update: I passed my physiology class and actually became a pro at doing capillary puncture. So if anyone needs any help on how to do it feel free to message me and I will share my experience on how to do it properly, it's so simple you just need to get a hang of it. :)