Physiology Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrSquirtles

UGA CVM Class of 2013!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm working in the small animal hospital this summer, and have had several faculty/students tell me that I should review physiology before sophomore year b/c it will make it easier, and I won't have much time to do so during it.

I have Cunningham's Vet Phys book and pages (and pages... and pages...) of notes, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good "Cliff's notes" physiology book that would be a reasonably quick/easy read and spares picky details? I'm really not so much planning on spending my summer reading Cunningham again, and some of our phys profs had the worst.notes.ever. :sleep:

Thanks, hope everyone is enjoying their summers!!!

Members don't see this ad.

My favorite veterinary book EVER is Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease by McGavin and Zachary.

It is NOT a Cliff's Notes by any means - it is a giant book (1476 pages).

However, it has great explanations of every system in the body and a TON of full-color pictures. If you don't have it now, I highly recommend it - I used it in every single systems class. It goes without saying that it's a very useful pathology book, too.

Lecture Notes on Human Physiology is great for this purpose. Very straightforward, lots of good diagrams, makes complex processes easy to understand. Don't be put off by "human" in the title, the physiology is the same (you'll just cover things like lactation and ruminant digestion in addition to the stuff found in human texts).

There is a new edition out, but this is the one I used. I don't think physiology changes that quickly, so might as well save some ducats.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I prefer Textbook of Medical Physiology by Guyton, or Dukes Physiology of Domestic Animals... honestly however, I like Guyton best for learning new concepts, however it is very detailed and human based

Lecture Notes on Human Physiology is great for this purpose. Very straightforward, lots of good diagrams, makes complex processes easy to understand. Don't be put off by "human" in the title, the physiology is the same (you'll just cover things like lactation and ruminant digestion in addition to the stuff found in human texts).

There is a new edition out, but this is the one I used. I don't think physiology changes that quickly, so might as well save some ducats.

Kind of OT, but a human physiology book doesn't cover lactation? Weird.

Kind of OT, but a human physiology book doesn't cover lactation? Weird.

It covers it, but not in as much detail. Because of the importance of commercial milk production, you'll get more depth in vet phys books.

Sorry MrSquirtles, if you have a question about how to better prepare yourself for being a vet, even if it is only about what is a good legitimate book to read or additional resourses, you are going to have to consult with a veterinarian.

Some Mod on a power trip will be here shortly to close/delete this thread for you.