Physics question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paiger Pie

Schizznitz McGee
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having difficulty understanding a few key concepts, so I thought I'd try the best and brightest: concerning friction and force, would spinning the rear wheels of a car stuck in the mud increase the force of the car... I'm lost on this, or am I just spinning my wheels?

Members don't see this ad.

Not if it didnt increase the acceleration (assuming no movement). But this relies on friction being constant. As you may suspect, if the car sinks further, friction actually might increase, but it is misleading. If you have been asked a question in this way exactly, i would say no. But there may be qualifiers involved.

It depends what you are really considering. F = ma. The car is not acceleration, or if so it is slight. The force it is applying isn't being shifted into movement, and hence the force is not increasing. If you are considering the spinning tires though they have a force which is increasing on them. Their acceleration is increasing, etc.

Hope this helps.

I agree with previous posters: as for the force of the CAR as a whole: NO, it does not increase. Theoretically, the lack of adequate frictional force between the tires and the mud is what keeps the car spinning in place. If the tires and mud had a large frictional force between them, the force produced by the car's engine (and hence the tires) would just be more EFFECTIVE at propelling the car forward out of the mud, not necessarily more in quantity.