Physics or organic chem??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hammy143

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am planning to take chem and bio freashman year and than over the summer before sophmore year I don't know if I should take Physics or Organic Chemistry!!... Any advice on what would be better or more helpful??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by hammy143
Hey guys

I am planning to take chem and bio freashman year and than over the summer before sophmore year I don't know if I should take Physics or Organic Chemistry!!... Any advice on what would be better or more helpful??

Thanks

Don't take those classes during the summer. Take an English or art class or something.

It's fine to take physics in the summer especially if you don't have that much else going on. I would not take organic in the summer though, so much material is not easy to absorb even during a normal semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know most people try to finish their premed courses as fast as possible, but I think it is wise to schedule your courses around the fact that you will take the MCAT during your junior year. Finishing the second semester of organic and physics during the second semester of your sophmore year would make it easier on your brain to remember the material for the MCAT. IMO

tm

I think its a great idea to take your science courses over the summer...thats what I did with physics 2 and Orgo 2, got A's in both of them. There are the courses you wanna do best in for your application, not "19th Century Poetry" or something.

Plus, don't worry about taking your pre-req courses as close as you can to the MCAT...take them early, so when you're studying for the MCAT, you will have been over the material in detail once before...

Most importantly, don't stress out...its good you're thinking about these things, but chill baby chill...you've got plenty of time to build up a good app

ask any med school...and they will say that dont prefer takin pre-reqs over the summer cuz of the following reasons:

1) cuz it may be the only class u are takin, so it appears to be very easy

2) the prof usually skip material cuz there is very little time to cover everything as it would be during a regular semester

3) they have grad students who dont are not well qualified like PHD instructors who can present the material well and know wut they are talkin about