Physics for life science majors or General physics pre-req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunDPT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am planning out my Spring 2020 classes and am deciding between Physics for life science majors or General physics pre-req. The first one is an algebra-based physics class and the second is calculus based. It seems like some schools take algebra based physics but a lot of schools list General Physics I & II on their website. Which physics class are you guys taking and any advice on this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the algebra based physics classes and all the schools I applied to accepted them.

I took the pre-calc based one because two semesters of algebra based don't exist where I live. I wish it did, but if yours does, take the algebra one. No need to needlessly complicate everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the algebra based physics classes and all the schools I applied to accepted them.
When you were looking to apply to schools, did you run into a lot of schools that preferred General physics over Algebra based physics?

I took the pre-calc based one because two semesters of algebra based don't exist where I live. I wish it did, but if yours does, take the algebra one. No need to needlessly complicate everything.
I agree, but I am afraid that a lot more schools require General physics over algebra based physics

Algebra-based physics for sure! I don't know of any DPT programs that require calculus-based physics.

When you were looking to apply to schools, did you run into a lot of schools that preferred General physics over Algebra based physics?
I haven't seen any that require it. You don't need calculus to be a PT

I took Phys for life sciences, but it was not worth it. Take General; it should be easier, less units, probably less work. I did not see schools that require lifer science physics, that's more for med school people.