Physics at community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E1024

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of how much med schools look down upon taking one of the required courses (Physics) at a community college? I started out as a pharmacy major, then switched this year (i'm a sophmore now) to microbiology. I took physics over the summer because it would have helped me out with the pharmacy curriculum and recieved an A for both parts, I and II. Will this reduce my chances that much, or does it depend upon the school? I have a 4.0 in all the other required courses I took at my school(Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science). Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who goes to one of the Ivies and took Physics at a community college. She got four interviews and in each one got asked why she took Physics at a community college. She said that it was because of cost and convenience. The point is that it won't stop you from getting looked at but probably most schools would want an explanation.

It will vary from school to school and your best plan of action is to call the schools that interest you and find out their policies. A few schools will not accept CC hours [no, I don't have a list of them, I just re-call that from when I was applying].
A good rule of thumb, in my opinion, is as long as the vast majority of your hours come from a 4-year school, you will be fine. Myself, I took Physics 1&2 at a CC due to scheduling conflicts and I got 3 interviews and 2 admissions.

However, if you are in a situation where a CC is your only workable option, by all means go for it. I would be certain to work in 'Why?' into my personal statement.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also took physics I and II at Community College. Acutally is was CORRESPONDENCE!. Had to do correspondence as no local schools offer physics as a night course.
My interviewers did not even ask about it, and I did not mention it in the personal statement. BTW I was accepted at the only school I applied.
Just a side note, after starting the correspondence course, I found that the University of Nebraska also offers Physics as Correspondence, if any of you are looking for that route.

Hi about the physics corspondence how do i get hooked up with that? I am in Piladelphia
waaaayyy on the east coast can i take physics
in the same way say in the spring semester?
thanks (i hate physics)

------------------
There is more joy in giving then there is in recieving.

Is taking classes at a regional campus of a state university frowned upon??

larryj

Thanks for the info. I registered for that class today. I'm a non-traditional taking/retaking my prereqs and if I can knockout physics via internet it'll be great!!

PS: Great people at Ivy Tech State College!

For what it is worth, I took all of my prerequisites at a community college except Biology.

I did well in all of them (A's in everything except Chem II ). I interviewed at every school I completed the application to, and I was only asked about it by one of the schools. That school asked only in passing.

As long as your MCAT scores don't suffer from it, I don't think many schools will be overly concerned. However, if you do poorly on the MCAT and have prerequisites at community college, they may want evidence of scientific ability that your application does not reflect.