Physician Shadowing in Grade 9/10

DrTheory

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hai all, I'm currently in Grade 9/going into Grade 10 and I'm 15 turning 16 next year, is it a good idea for me to start to shadow physicians? And if so which fields of medicine should I focus on finding a Doctor for? Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics etc, also which level of Doctor should I shadow? Consultant, Attending, Resident or maybe even a Intern? (if possible) And what should I be mindful about, look out for and also tips? At this stage should I ask the Doctor for a letter of recommendation and just save it for when the time is right for applying or does it even work that way? Thanks in advance for the answers, advice, tips and please forgive me if I asked a idiotic question :D

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of the forms that I filled out for HIPAA and confidentiality agreements specified that I had to be 18 or older. So that might hinder you from shadowing in some locations. I suggest targeting primary care physicians in small practices as there is less hoops to navigate through.

Reactions: 1 user
Wayyyyyyyyy too early to be worried about that. LORs won't be the most impactful 6+ years in the future. Just worry about getting into a college you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
At your age, I would worry about getting a date to prom rather than shadowing a physician! ;)

But really, as mentioned above, even if the HIPAA forms allow you to do it, it really shouldn't be on the list of things for you to do right now. When you apply to medical school, all experiences need to be AFTER starting college anyway.

Get into the college you want to go to and then start worrying about these things!

Okay well I also am looking to do a BS-MD program is it still too early?

Okay well I also am looking to do a BS-MD program is it still too early?
These programs are extremely competitive. If you want to get into one, be sure you're working on getting excellent GPAs, test scores, etc right now. You'll also need healthcare experience, so hospital volunteering and, like you said, physician shadowing. Don't stress yourself hroughout high school by trying to get into these programs; they are very, very, very competitive. Be a good student. Enjoy high school. I didn't find even out BS/MD programs until this year as a senior and I was accepted to one. That being said, they are still difficult to pursue.

As for the reason to why you would like to pursue one, I'll let you figure that one out. Remember that these programs allow you a guaranteed admission to medical school if you are accepted, given that you keep up the necessary criteria. It's hard to say that you want to be a physician right out of high school and it's even harder to see if you'll follow the long path that it takes to become a physician.

You'll learn more as you go through high school. Focus on being a good student and, again, enjoy your high school years, and don't stress yourself out!! You have one opportunity to enjoy high school. You will have plenty of time in college to worry about applying to medical school.

Last edited:
If you want to go into BS/MD programs, then maybe start shadowing. But again, it's very early. Not everywhere will have the same hippa rules, so it may be worthwhile to contact places individually.

The easiest way to get shadowing in general (IMO) is to sign up as a volunteer in a hospital then use that to meet physicians and ask them to observe.

Doesn't matter what kind of doctor you observe, but it may be most beneficial to start with one of the more common fields. Maybe an hospitalist/internist (internal medicine), a family doctor, or a general surgeon (as opposed to like a urologist or pediatric neruo-oncologist lol)

Reactions: 1 user
Hai all, I'm currently in Grade 9/going into Grade 10 and I'm 15 turning 16 next year, is it a good idea for me to start to shadow physicians? And if so which fields of medicine should I focus on finding a Doctor for? Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics etc, also which level of Doctor should I shadow? Consultant, Attending, Resident or maybe even a Intern? (if possible) And what should I be mindful about, look out for and also tips? At this stage should I ask the Doctor for a letter of recommendation and just save it for when the time is right for applying or does it even work that way? Thanks in advance for the answers, advice, tips and please forgive me if I asked a idiotic question :D
Get volunteering. For me, I signed a privacy agreement and was able to shadow at 17 immediately. I've shadowed general surgery in the OR, internal medicine, family medicine. I'm looking forward to pediatrics, neurology, as well as emergency medicine. Shadowing is the best thing, I never thought in a million years I'd get the chance to step into an OR without training. I was clearly mistaken as it happened 2 months into my volunteering with an awesome surgeon. Good luck.

If you want to go into BS/MD programs, then maybe start shadowing. But again, it's very early. Not everywhere will have the same hippa rules, so it may be worthwhile to contact places individually.

The easiest way to get shadowing in general (IMO) is to sign up as a volunteer in a hospital then use that to meet physicians and ask them to observe.

Doesn't matter what kind of doctor you observe, but it may be most beneficial to start with one of the more common fields. Maybe an hospitalist/internist (internal medicine), a family doctor, or a general surgeon (as opposed to like a urologist or pediatric neruo-oncologist lol)
That's how I've found physicians to shadow and I've made a lot of experiences. I'm getting ready to shadow again in the OR in the summer.