Physician Gun owners?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheComebacKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not meant to be a political discussion on gun control. Please don't make it into that.

I am sure there are folks here who have guns at home. My question is, is there anything different than physicians need to take into consideration when purchasing a gun? Is there any specific types of legal mess we can get into with the medical board?

I always think of how DUIs, while a big deal in general, disproportionately affect physicians because of reporting to the medical board and possibly resulting in suspension and loss of your livelihood. Psychiatric medication use, also something that can get individuals in trouble. Do guns pose any unique challenges? Or is it as simple as: if you don't get charged with a felony, you don't have to worry about it?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you’re not using the firearms in an illegal manner, or caught carrying them where you’re not supposed to, it won’t be an issue.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is not meant to be a political discussion on gun control. Please don't make it into that.

I am sure there are folks here who have guns at home. My question is, is there anything different than physicians need to take into consideration when purchasing a gun? Is there any specific types of legal mess we can get into with the medical board?

I always think of how DUIs, while a big deal in general, disproportionately affect physicians because of reporting to the medical board and possibly resulting in suspension and loss of your livelihood. Psychiatric medication use, also something that can get individuals in trouble. Do guns pose any unique challenges? Or is it as simple as: if you don't get charged with a felony, you don't have to worry about it?
I own several guns. There is nothing special you need to do as a physician in regards to gun use and gun ownership, other than follow basic laws. Keep your guns either locked up or in legal use and you are good to go. It's as simple as that.

Keep in mind with your DUI comparison, there is a constitutional amendment backing up your legal use of your firearms. If you're legally using your firearms, the medical board can't do jack s***.

Somewhat tangential and not specific to guns but I would keep in mind that you are desirable target for civil litigation. All physicians should probably carry an umbrella insurance policy but I would argue even more so for ones who have pools, own guns, etc. Obviously responsible gun ownership should be your primary prophylaxis.

Reactions: 5 users
Somewhat tangential and not specific to guns but I would keep in mind that you are desirable target for civil litigation. All physicians should probably carry an umbrella insurance policy but I would argue even more so for ones who have pools, own guns, etc. Obviously responsible gun ownership should be your primary prophylaxis.
I have one.

Reactions: 1 user
For the most part no, but a couple of things:

1) due to the amount of money you make, you have access to affording things like suppressors and SBRs. These require tax stamps which have laws attached to who can operate the weapon, need to furnish the stamp to any law official when you are operating, etc. If you are going to go down this hole, learn the laws.

2) if you want a concealed carry or self defense weapon make sure it is a simple pistol or shotgun. Do not use a modded AR-15 pistol or any other ridiculous high capacity, high penetrating caliber for multiple reasons: can go through walls in homes and kill other people, will get confiscated if you do use it and you’ll probably never see it again, will be used against you when you are in court.

3) don’t show off your collection to the world as this can make you a target just like putting MDLOL as your license plate.

I own numerous handguns. I'm amazed at how laws vary by state. In Georgia, it's common to own guns. In Connecticut, you have to register them with the state police.

There are some laws where if you pull a gun out, but don't use it (i.e., just threaten to use it), you can be arrested.

Love my guns. Here's my latest:

pdw_pistol_300blk_l_02-088-22070-047.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Guns are fun. I wouldn't blast them all over social media or Youtube as a doctor, but that's just me.

Agree with the umbrella policy. It's stupid not to have one. $2M policy through GEICO for like $225 a year. Just do it, today.

Guns are fun. I wouldn't blast them all over social media or Youtube as a doctor, but that's just me.

The best are the ones that have some kind of NRA/2A/Come and take it bumper stickers on their vehicles. Might as well hold a neon sign you're carrying. Will likely put the cops on high alert if you ever get pulled over.

I also agree its very important to know your state laws regarding guns and concealed carry. And yes, they can vary tremendously from state to state. That's a good reason to take a concealed carry class, even if you don't need to in your state. The amount learned from a good class on it, can be tremendous. Also, consider reading the book, The Law of Self Defense. It will explain surprising things regarding the concept you might not have thought of.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agree with the umbrella policy. It's stupid not to have one. $2M policy through GEICO for like $225 a year. Just do it, today.
What does an umbrella policy cover?

There are some laws where if you pull a gun out, but don't use it (i.e., just threaten to use it), you can be arrested.
Brandishing, criminal menacing, assault (or assault with a deadly weapon - ADW) - in various jurisdictions, these are some of the things with which someone showing a gun can be charged.

Free extra explainer: "assault"? That is when a person is placed in a position of fearing imminent danger. The assault is "I'm gonna kick your ass". Actually being struck is "battery". Demonstrating a firearm to someone, especially handheld, is the "deadly weapon" part.

Brandishing, criminal menacing, assault (or assault with a deadly weapon - ADW) - in various jurisdictions, these are some of the things with which someone showing a gun can be charged.

Free extra explainer: "assault"? That is when a person is placed in a position of fearing imminent danger. The assault is "I'm gonna kick your ass". Actually being struck is "battery". Demonstrating a firearm to someone, especially handheld, is the "deadly weapon" part.

I tried posting that sentiment but the post got deleted by mods for being "political". Definitely a good advice.

Had a code silver today in the ICU… (it’s the code for an active shooter). Made me wish I had my 43 on my side under my scrubs in the ER. Talk about feeling like an open sitting duck. Scary **** indeed!!!

• Wow
Had a code silver today in the ICU… (it’s the code for an active shooter). Made me wish I had my 43 on my side under my scrubs in the ER. Talk about feeling like an open sitting duck. Scary **** indeed!!!
Wow, what happened? Did they catch the guy? Any fatalities?

Long story short… a crazy family member got into the ICU… there was an argument with nursing staff about the care of the patient… and which point he brandished a firearm on his hip. Thank the lord that he never pulled it out or fired at anyone… but the code silver was broadcasted across the speakers. 50 cops came security which are armed at my hospital who are all amazing tackled and cuffed the guy. But it just highlights security concerns… things like that can pop off at anytime. The concern and scare on everyone’s face when the loudspeakers screamed “please lock all doors and stay in place, active shooter on campus, this is not a drill” sends shivers down your spine. I immediately found damn broom stick for a weapon and a scalpel lol… while my colleague tried to wedge any door he could find. Was canceled 3 minutes later… but felt like 30 lol!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
For the most part no, but a couple of things:

1) due to the amount of money you make, you have access to affording things like suppressors and SBRs. These require tax stamps which have laws attached to who can operate the weapon, need to furnish the stamp to any law official when you are operating, etc. If you are going to go down this hole, learn the laws.

2) if you want a concealed carry or self defense weapon make sure it is a simple pistol or shotgun. Do not use a modded AR-15 pistol or any other ridiculous high capacity, high penetrating caliber for multiple reasons: can go through walls in homes and kill other people, will get confiscated if you do use it and you’ll probably never see it again, will be used against you when you are in court.

3) don’t show off your collection to the world as this can make you a target just like putting MDLOL as your license plate.

With regard to 2, I will say my understanding is 223/556 generally has significantly less penetration through barriers due to tumbling and fragmentation than some pistol rounds and certainly decent size buckshot / slugs. There are other pros and cons to long gun vs pistol for home defense, but from a pro standpoint ar15's are reliable, controllable, and easy to aim. Agree with your other points.

With regard to 2, I will say my understanding is 223/556 generally has significantly less penetration through barriers due to tumbling and fragmentation than some pistol rounds and certainly decent size buckshot / slugs. There are other pros and cons to long gun vs pistol for home defense, but from a pro standpoint ar15's are reliable, controllable, and easy to aim. Agree with your other points.
I have a .45 for home defense. Big caliber. 1 shot take down. And low velocity. I don’t need the bullet to go through two houses, if I miss.

I do have an AR. But it’s in my big safe, unloaded. My .45 is cocked, locked and ready to rock.

I have a .45 for home defense. Big caliber. 1 shot take down. And low velocity. I don’t need the bullet to go through two houses, if I miss.

I do have an AR. But it’s in my big safe, unloaded. My .45 is cocked, locked and ready to rock.

• The pistol rounds were seemingly unaffected by the drywall and/or wood barriers. There was no observable deviation or fragmentation of the 9mm projectiles. You’d be safe counting on a pistol round to keep going, and going, and going. After all, premium pistol ammunition is designed to expand, and lose energy, when striking liquid-based targets—not walls.
  • The full metal jacket .223 rounds tended to tumble rather than break apart when they encountered barriers.
  • The projectiles designed for rapid fragmentation (Nosler Ballistic Tip and Hornady V-Max) did in fact do that. I wish I had gel blocks to see exactly how much energy remained. By observation of the fragmentation patterns, they were clearly losing velocity and energy. How much damage would they have done to a person at that point? I can’t say more than “less” than the pistol rounds, which were still humming right along.
  • Even though the .223 rounds start with a lot more energy, they tend to lose it quickly when encountering the barriers in this test.
  • You always have to worry about what’s behind your target. Nearly all of the rounds tested went through at least four walls, although some obviously came out the back end with a lot less energy than others.
  • If you live in an apartment, you may want to assume that only softer, interior walls stand between you and neighbors. In a free-standing house, I’m confident none of the AR-15 rounds would have made it through interior and exterior walls. Windows, of course, would alter that assumption.

I expect a 45 would do comparably or worse than 9 with regard to penetration

Hollow points also important thing to consider if you're worried about over penetration.

No need to even point most of the time. That classic sound of putting one in the chamber will make any person cringe.
Only works if preceded by the words ‘say hello to my little friend’ in a Cuban accent…

• Haha
In the US there is no concern for a physician to own a legal firearm.

I sleep with an AR propped between the bed and nightstand. Very safe area and crime is unheard of but **** I'm not gonna be outgunned in my own home... have multiple other firearms but an AR w sling is like the perfect home-defense weapon (imo at least). I don't CCW because I'm really not that worried about street violence, can handle myself, and like to have drinks going out so there are legal concerns.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm interested in purchasing a shotgun for home defense only. I really have no interest to conceal carry anywhere. I'm assuming in order to be a responsible gun owner, I will have to take it out to a gun range periodically and practice using it?

What recommendations do you have for a shotgun? I've heard Remington mentioned by a few folks...

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm interested in purchasing a shotgun for home defense only. I really have no interest to conceal carry anywhere. I'm assuming in order to be a responsible gun owner, I will have to take it out to a gun range periodically and practice using it?

What recommendations do you have for a shotgun? I've heard Remington mentioned by a few folks...

Recommend a rifle/carbine or pistol over a shotgun. If you're going to choose a shotgun though, strongly recommend a reliable semiautomatic over pump with a relatively short barrel and a tube extension, and absolutely you should practice and be familiar with whatever firearm you choose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There's a few good threads in the anesthesia forums about this:

I've been interested in the sig sauer p226

There's a few good threads in the anesthesia forums about this:

I've been interested in the sig sauer p226
I have a Sig p227 and p938. Both are excellent. My brother in law has a 226 (9 mm tactical version) and I've shot it at the range. It's pretty nice.

.45s are really hard to hit anything with, 1911 variety. Point blank it's excellent though.

I have multiple firearms hidden in almost every room of my house. Multiple calibers. Everything from .300 blackout to 9mm to .45 to .22 to 12 gauge shotgun behind me in my office as I type this next to a sig P226.

I pitty da fool!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I have multiple firearms hidden in almost every room of my house. Multiple calibers. Everything from .300 blackout to 9mm to .45 to .22 to 12 gauge shotgun behind me in my office as I type this next to a sig P226.

I pitty da fool!
Do u have kids..

I pitty da fool!
When I was doing urgent Care one of the other guys who worked with me was an ER doctor who was tired of the lifestyle y'all have. His house was set up almost exactly like that. Whenever his nieces and nephews came over he had to spend several hours finding and removing all the guns he had hidden around.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
A firearm without training and regular practice is probably a net negative on safety. If you're not going to turn it into at least a casual hobby, then buy a Peloton with the money because regular cardio would probably due more to provide for you and your family.

If you're going to go the gun route, I'd probably go with a pistol. Logistically easier, cheaper, and avoids the challenges of working with a long barrel in hallways and doorways. Caliber is a huge debate but I would go with 9 mm because it's cheaper and the lower velocity rounds I would use for home defense will have less kickback. Brand doesn't matter, find one you like the feel of from a major manufacturer. At a minimum, take an introductory course and take the course for your concealed weapons permit. Even if you don't want to concealed carry, it will familiarize you with your state's laws, make transporting the firearm easier, and makes your gun ownership look more legitimate. Go to the range at least once or twice a month. I think that's a reasonable minimum for most people.

But you're a physician, you've got some spare cash, go take some advanced classes designed for concealed carry and home defense. Shoot some simunition, learn shooting from atypical positions, learn something besides shooting paper targets at a range. Maybe even shoot in a few competitions. Going back to my original statement, buy a firearm if you're looking at it as a fun hobby that may provide some safety benefits. If it's just going to be a totem collecting dust under a bed and warding off evil spirits, then you're better off worrying about cardio, eating healthy, insurance policies, and getting out of a career field that give you cancer because the safety benefit of a firearm for physicians in the US is minimal to negative.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone got any nice bolt action hunting rifles they can recommend? Would love to get one for deer hunting.

Anyone got any nice bolt action hunting rifles they can recommend? Would love to get one for deer hunting.
I have a 1953 Remington bolt action 30-06. I obviously wouldn't recommend it since it's ancient and mainly of sentimental value. I was one of only 4 things my grandfather had to his name when he died, other than his house and car, which went to my grandmother. I inherited the 30-06.

I have a 1953 Remington bolt action 30-06. I obviously wouldn't recommend it since it's ancient and mainly of sentimental value. I was one of only 4 things my grandfather had to his name when he died, other than his house and car, which went to my grandmother. I inherited the 30-06.
Haha nice. Did you try to shoot it? Does it even work lol

A firearm without training and regular practice is probably a net negative on safety. If you're not going to turn it into at least a casual hobby, then buy a Peloton with the money because regular cardio would probably due more to provide for you and your family.

If you're going to go the gun route, I'd probably go with a pistol. Logistically easier, cheaper, and avoids the challenges of working with a long barrel in hallways and doorways. Caliber is a huge debate but I would go with 9 mm because it's cheaper and the lower velocity rounds I would use for home defense will have less kickback. Brand doesn't matter, find one you like the feel of from a major manufacturer. At a minimum, take an introductory course and take the course for your concealed weapons permit. Even if you don't want to concealed carry, it will familiarize you with your state's laws, make transporting the firearm easier, and makes your gun ownership look more legitimate. Go to the range at least once or twice a month. I think that's a reasonable minimum for most people.

But you're a physician, you've got some spare cash, go take some advanced classes designed for concealed carry and home defense. Shoot some simunition, learn shooting from atypical positions, learn something besides shooting paper targets at a range. Maybe even shoot in a few competitions. Going back to my original statement, buy a firearm if you're looking at it as a fun hobby that may provide some safety benefits. If it's just going to be a totem collecting dust under a bed and warding off evil spirits, then you're better off worrying about cardio, eating healthy, insurance policies, and getting out of a career field that give you cancer because the safety benefit of a firearm for physicians in the US is minimal to negative.

This is a great post. Many people get guns for “protection” without any sort of regular training or practice. These people are far more likely to see an injury in their home or to have it used against them. I’m all for gun ownership if you’re going to be responsible and practice with it with at least some regularity, but if it’s just going to sit there then you shouldn’t bother. And this is coming from someone with multiple guns.

I married an arsenal. I also have a Peloton.

While I have been to the range and technically know how to shoot, my personal strategy is out the nearest window. I didn't grow up with guns, and while I am now more comfortable around them, as an, ahem, petite woman, I'm far more comfortable with the "run, hide" bit. I am perfectly capable of shooting the Sig in the safe by the bed. Whether I actually could shoot a person is another question, hence my above strategy. But that's where husband comes in.

He has his concealed carry, and does carry most of the time. He is also a trained gunsmith, so not only does all the maintenance, but also does repairs and just joined a local club so he'll have range access for skeet, rifle, shotgun, pistol, etc.
We also have multiple safes in multiple rooms, safety being paramount... and a massive freezer because he's also a hunter.
And we're gonna have to eat more of the pork, because deer season will be here before I know it, and I'm going to need more room!

Bravo, I can ask him if you want... I'm sure he has some strong feeling on the matter.

Reactions: 2 users