Physician furlough/paycut thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure that a thread like this needs to be created. If one already creates on one of the subforums, please direct me to that thread and I'll shut this one down.

For those who do not know, many physicians are currently are being either laid off or being required to pay cuts right now. My family has been personally affected. I think that it would be a good idea to have a thread with experiences to help determine what is and what is NOT appropriate in regards to contract renegotiations and modifications.

Members don't see this ad.

Appropriately: contract renegotiation in advance of any pAY cut
Inappropriate: stop paying the doctor and hope he doesn't notice (I am currently having problems with a side job that involves weekend inpatient psychiatric coverage)

Reactions: 1 users
OFf topic question: I noticed you stopped updating those website in 015. Was it helpful to have them on your application?
Appropriately: contract renegotiation in advance of any pAY cut
Inappropriate: stop paying the doctor and hope he doesn't notice (I am currently having problems with a side job that involves weekend inpatient psychiatric coverage)

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of changes in my life happened between March 2014 and April 2015. I guess that's why I stopped blogging. The blogs had no effect on any applications. I probably should remove them from my SDN signature.

Reactions: 1 user
my job is cutting number of rounders. they also want us to be on standby incase they need us to come in. standby without pay. is this legal? we are paid hourly.

my job is cutting number of rounders. they also want us to be on standby incase they need us to come in. standby without pay. is this legal? we are paid hourly.
Don’t know if it’s legal but the group should refuse

Don’t know if it’s legal but the group should refuse

It's definitely legal. It's called being on call? You certainly could refuse, but on the other hand you may want to pick up shifts if and when they are available if your income has taken a hit. Sad state of affairs right now, and this is definitely an argument to get away from fee for service model.

Hospitals and doctors in a bloodbath now in terms of compensation, while risking our own health and the health of our families. Meanwhile insurance companies will see record profits.

Personally, depending on your field I might consider taking a leave of absence and doing locums work. Only potential bright side is that if they aren't paying you and living up to the terms of your contract, noncompetes, etc are out the window.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
It's definitely legal. It's called being on call? You certainly could refuse, but on the other hand you may want to pick up shifts if and when they are available if your income has taken a hit. Sad state of affairs right now, and this is definitely an argument to get away from fee for service model.

Hospitals and doctors in a bloodbath now in terms of compensation, while risking our own health and the health of our families. Meanwhile insurance companies will see record profits.

Personally, depending on your field I might consider taking a leave of absence and doing locums work. Only potential bright side is that if they aren't paying you and living up to the terms of your contract, noncompetes, etc are out the window.
Hourly hospitalists not contracted for call don’t “owe” call

And ask is not illegal, changing terms of a contract without proper notice/cancellation of the old one is

Yea, again that's not illegal (ie. against the law). They can ask you to do whatever they want. They can't force you to do it, and you are right that they may be in breach of your contract. Potentially, you could have standing to take legal action against them for breach of contract, back pay, etc, but smart lawyers have written most of these contracts. Probably there is not much you can do except get another job. Usually, if they breach the contract you can walk and you are out of your noncompete, etc. Hopefully you had someone competent look over your contract and there is good language that they will be required to cover tail insurance etc in event of their breach.

Certainly you can refuse to take call if that is not required by your contract. Also may be able to negotiate for some compensation to take call.

My job is changing so much in the last month. The PD and executive chair have become increasingly demanding and are now placing providers on performance review if a phone operator reports them. I guess they realize that we don't have options and can't leave. It has become a nightmare so fast. I did not even realize that practicing doctors could be placed on performance improvement. How does one proceed? should one resign? but with this economic crisis, how does one even survive while paying back the sign on bonus (which is not prorated).

Does being on a performance improvement go on a permanent record?