Physical Therapy School Chances -with these stats for 2016-2017 cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureHealthCareWorker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I have decided to apply to physical therapy school for the 2016-2017 cycle. My stats are pretty low across all boards. My overall GPA is a 3.2 and I am retaking 2 pre-reqs this semester so my pre-req GPA will go up to 3.55-3.65 depending on the program (if A's are made in both of these pre-reqs and with schools who take the higher grade). I am also taking a pre-req online that I haven't taken that will also help boost my stats. I have taken the GRE and scored a 150 V and a 145 Q and I am hoping that in the next 6 months, I can boost my GRE score to a 310...is that even possible?
I will also have about 500-600 observation hours in 3+ settings by the time I apply. What are my chances if I am able to boost everything up a little? Any advice will be appreciated!

You definitely need to retake the GRE, study hard for it and try to get those scores up. Some schools won't even look at your app if you don't meet their minimums. Also be wary of taking any prerequisite class online, many schools will not accept them especially if a lab component is required. Try to make As in your remaining classes.

Try to get more variety in your observation hours, do things outside of PT to balance out your application. Look into programs that help the community like Big Brother/Sister, Special Olympics, ect. Build good relationships with your professors and PT's you're shadowing. Show them your drive and dedication with your work ethic and interest. You have a lot of time to do all this so take it day by day, don't waste any time. Also look into schools you're interested in, talk to the admissions offices of the schools, let them know your name and show them that you really want to make it to their schools. Again, don't waste time, try to involve yourself with projects, clubs, events, ect as often as possible and make yourself as well rounded as possible. And as important as stats are, you can balance the scale with being a leader in your community. And most importantly, as cliche as this sounds, believe in yourself and your abilities. If this is truely what you want to do you'll make it possible however long or difficult it might be. Think it over, work your butt off and you'll be fine. Best of luck!