Physical Therapy and Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summerbaby827

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have been researching applying to PT school this fall and I want to know if my chances of getting in are good. I have done alot of research but I would like to get some perspectives from other people.

Here are my stats:

Undergraduate Institution: UC San Diego
Major: Political Science
Minor: Law
Overall GPA: 3.37 (just undergrad not counting community college)
Prereq GPA (most takin at community college): ~3.90
GRE: 750M 600V 4.5W
Volunteer Hours: 100 hours outpatient 50 hours in patient and thinking about doing one more setting
Extra Curriculars: IM sports, club lacrosse, club field hockey, club ultimate disc, advertising club, colleges against cancer/relay for life, mentor program, and more I am probably forgetting

So far for prereqs by the end of Fall 2009 I will have my BA degree (got in 2008), as well as Intro to Psych, Abnormal Psych, Develomental Psych, Intro to Bio, Microbio, Anat/Phys I and II, Physics I, Chemistry I, AP Stats, AP Calculus

I will still have to take Physics II and Chemistry II in spring. Most of these prereqs I did at the community college but I have straight A's and will continue to maintain this. I may also take Speech if needed.

I was wondering what sort of schools I would be able to consider as realistic for me to get into (top 20, top 40, any schools at all??) I am worried mostly because I did not take most of my science prereqs at my university but instead I am taking them at a community college. I am also worried because I majored in political science which does not involve science courses. Also, I am worried because I will have a couple prereqs to take in spring.

Please help me! Did anyone else go back and decide they wanted to change their focus and have to take the prereqs all at community college?? Thanks so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

and took prereqs at a community college as well last year. I have a BA in psych and took all of the science prereqs over a summer, fall, and winter semester. I got into 2 programs in the top 30(1 being in the top 5), so I think you have a good chance. I applied to 5 schools and I feel like a couple of them discouraged community college classes, but all of those were top 40 schools. You have a fantastic gre score(over 150 points higher than me) so I think you should be in good shape.

If you have stats and calc credit from HS, some schools dont accept them so I would start investigating that ASAP. Also, dont expect any early admittance with core prereqs not completed. I didnt get accepted anywhere until March so you could be forced to wait.

good luck

Thanks for the help! Well I did take AP Stat in high school but i also took Political Science 30 at my school which was a statistics class the polisci majors had to take. As for Calc, I have not taken that since high school.

If you don't mind me asking, what schools did you get into that were ok with you taking the prereqs at community college?? Were there any specifically that denied you or said you would not get in because of that?
Also, did you have calculus in college?

Thanks so much!