Physical Therapist Vs. Physical Therapist Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Achilles0990

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted some clarification about what is expected of a PT versus a PTA. Ive noticed that PTs and PTAs have very similar jobs with the one of the major differences being that PTs can evaluate and discharge patients.I believe that I would love either role but the one thing that is making me skeptical is the thought of being stuck doing documentation all day and not being able to work with the patients one on one more. I am 22 years old and received my bachelors in Kinesiology so I have been told to follow through on DPT but I would like to look into PTA as another route. I believe I would have more opportunities as a physical therapist but I would just like some feedback on the following topics:

1. PT role vs. PTA role
2. Job Outlook (Is it going to still be in demand?)
3. Are the roles going to change overtime? (IE: PTs will only see them for a few for soft tissue mobilization and then let the PTAs work with them through exercises)
4. Pay
5. Are there any settings that allow PTs time to treat and do exercises with the patients but still have time to document?

If anyone can help me on this, it would mean a lot. This has been on my mind lately so I would definitely like a second opinion to those already in the field. I want to choose the role that best suits me so having an understanding of the roles now and how they are going to change in the future would help. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Just to start off, I am in no way an expert, but these are my thoughts based on the research I have already did over the least few months. Regardless, both roles fill out a lot of paperwork; however, it seems that PTs are responsible for making sure the information PTAs put down is correct (shadowed at a facility with both PTs and PTAs working together). Again, from my job shadowing, it does not matter what you pursue, but inpatient is almost always one-on-one while outpatient consists of juggling patients at the same time. Since you already have a degree that does help, albeit, if you want to pursue PT you still have quite a bit of pre-reqs and other things to fulfill, while PTA has a lot less (still quite a few though).

1. I'd say you know the exact difference between a PT and a PTA. PTs do evaluations, discharges, and treatments- while PTAs just do treatments. Another important factor is PTAs are asked to work on the weekend a lot more often compared to PTs (inpatient, of course).
2. Both are increasing in demand, and in fact, I think PTAs are in more demand than PTs.
3. I think that truly depends on the clinic, but kind of correct.
4. PTs definitely make a lot more (have a lot more debt as well).
5. I job shadowing at a nursing home and that's exactly what the PTs did. Outpatient also does the same, but it's much more quick and less exercises (but some do try to help with a few).

I am not already in the field, but it's what I plan on going into very soon. Hopefully my experience and research can help you decide the right path for you!

I definitely PTA is worth a look if you are going to go into major debt to get the DPT. In my last clinical rotation, the 2 PTAs (outpatient ortho) both made 55K. New grads started at 65K in that clinic. The PTAs had minimal debt from the local programs. If you can keep your cost down as a DPT, I think it's nice to be able to fully practice in the field and do every thing needed (eval, discharge, manips).

Hard to say on demand. In 1 city I worked in, it was very difficult for PTAs to find jobs as the physical therapy practices just weren't using them. In my current city, they are using them a lot as they can treat a lot more patients.

I'm in outpatient ortho right now in more rural setting. Plenty of time to see patients, exercise and doc.