This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaltab4life

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I was studying for the General Chemistry section of the DAT, I encountered a question that requires the knowledge of elements' physical states at a certain temperature:
Q: Consider the physical states of Cl2, K, W, Pb, Hg, Br2, and Sb. Which will be liquids at 25 degrees Celsius?

Do I need to memorize the melting and boiling points of all of the elements on the periodic table? Or are there any trends that can help make this knowledge easier to remember?

Members don't see this ad.

you don't need to memorize melting and boiling points, I would just know general trends and characteristics. In this problem, 25 degrees celsius is around room temperature. Its known that Hg and Br2 are liquids at this temperature (should know this). Antimony, Tungsten, Potassium and Lead are transition metals/semi metals/metals--so I am assuming they are solids. Cl2 is a lighter nonmetal--so should be a gas. (Conversely I2 is heavier, so it would be a solid) . Don't memorize over a hundred elements!

Reactions: 1 user
The diatomic elements (besides Br2 and I2) and group 18 are all gases, Br2 and Hg are liquids, the rest are solids at standard conditions.

Diatomics
Have (g)
No (g)
Fear (g)
Of (g)
Ice (s)
Cold (g)
Beer (l)

Reactions: 1 user