physical sciences studying advice???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmritty711

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am having a really tough time with physics and gen chem. with physics, i understand concepts and such. (i actually did well in physics and two lectures) but i am having problems applying the knowledge to passages. also, the same with gen chem. i can't get past a 9 on the physical sciences sections, so would anyone have any studying advice on how the got higher than that? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you already have the concepts down, then they key, IMHO, is practice, practice, practice. Do all of the practice passages you can find and read the explanations of the answers even when you get them correct. This will help you to avoid the common mistakes and start to see the pattern in the questions. The best study material is the AAMC practice tests, but there are only a few, so supplement with EK or TPR or Kaplan. People seem to agree EK is pretty good.

This is what I think you may want to do:

As you read the passage anticipate what concepts the devils are trying to get at. For instance a centrifuge might be described, in that case your mind should lead to centripetal force and the like, momentum, etc. Know where values are in the passage.

One more thing: there is always an answer that directly and bests answers the question posed. Sometimes, when I am confused, as I am usually, I try to find a term or so from the question stem that is directly or indirectly reflected in answer choice. If it makes sense to me I pick it--I found this to work approximately 90% of the time.

I found PS to be my easiest section and probably the coolest. Even in the hard Kaplan tests I never scored below a 10 or 11. Max was 13. But on my real MCAT, I just couldn't believe what I saw, 80% physics--I think I scored an 8 :( . These scores should just get themselves out.