physical chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MW

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone out there in pre med land taking physical chemistry this term? Or am I the only crazy one! If so, post your comments and tips here!

Members don't see this ad.

PChem is not really all that difficult conceptually, when you consider the mathematics behind it at the same time you look over what's being presented. Too many students go into PChem studying it like they would any other course, and perhaps that's why it's gained a reputation as "the most difficult undergraduate course anywhere." PChem is a MATH course, not really a Chemistry course. Study it like you would any math course (by understanding it mathematically and practicing the math on your own).

If you're a math person, all the more power to you. If you're not, seek some help in understanding the math first and then all that junk will fall into place.

What level of math are you?

Tim of New York City.

Chemistry....YUCK!!!!!

------------------
Old Man Dave
KCOM, Class of 2003

Members don't see this ad :)
I just ran across this post today. Yeah I am taking pchem. The professor lectures like a bat out of hell and the material is insane. I hadn't had a math course except stats, for five years so that has been difficult. It has gotten better as the semester has progressed. Thankfully I have the best ta, he explains everything so well. I did all right on the first test and much better on the second. However, we just started statistical mechanics and literally, it is blowing my mind. oh well. Good luck to any and everyone who takes pchem. Oh yeah, I remember seeing a bumper sticker that read 'Honk if you passed pchem'. If anyone knows where to get it please let me know(assuming I pass)

I took physical chemistry (got a B) and physical biochemistry (got an A!!!!) and my advice is this.. MEMORIZE YOUR BUTT OFF!!! Understand the physics thtat is taking place and you will be able to apply the formula to derive your answers! Deriving was not always my strongest point (i didnt go to highschool, got my GED so I had NO IDEA what all those insane math derivations meant at first) but you will eventually see trends.

Much luck to you and Im sure youll do fine. if I can get those grades without a highschool background (or the math classes to back them up)Im sure you will do exceptionally well!!!

Poet
smile.gif

Just finished my pchem final and I am feeling like I was run over by an 18 wheeler, but it is all good cause Pchem is done(at least until next semester)!!!!

Unless you have to repeat it.
wink.gif

Tim of New York City.
(spreading holiday cheer)