Physical by an NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawguil

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Simply wanted to share my experience during a Physical examination (decided to just get a physical because I had this lingering cold and I hadn't had a physical in awhile) the other day by a female who happened to be an FNP. This was the first time I have ever been to this clinic and when I made the appointment, I didn't care who I would see. Anyhow, the first thing I did was complete some basic medical history information in the waiting room, and then was taken to a room. Anyhow, she came in the room, introduced herself and asked a couple questions and immediately began the physical examination. I felt as though she was doing a very thorough job and asked a lot of good questions about diet, exercise, weight gain, ect....from head to toe. Then she began reading my medical history form......and asked me what Hodgkin’s disease was.... I told her my understanding....She candidly admitted that it wasn't her personal strength and asked how they discovered the condition. I explained that I had a reactive node that was in my neck for about 6 months and didn't respond to antibiotics and the physician sent me to an ENT to have it removed and biopsied. May I add that this woman is a seasoned NP and has been the PCP of one of my colleagues for over 5 years. Anyhow, she decided to consult with a physician in the practice (to her credit) about what she should do for follow up with this condition. The physician came in and did a very brief evaluation, suggested chest x-ray, wanted to check for hypothyroidism because of where I had radiation and ordered additional labs. He also discovered some little nodes that were the result of being a little sick that she completely missed.
Although initially impressed by her thorough physical evaluation, I was amazed at how incompetent she was about medical conditions. Anybody can go through the motions of evaluating and anybody can be proficient as a provider to healthy patients, but she didn’t know how to treat or follow up with this somewhat basic condition. Surely she could go to a book and figured some things out, but I’m not sure she would have known enough to check for hypothyroidism due to where I had radiation…It this typical or would the average NP have been more knowledgeable?

Members don't see this ad.

she did check w/ the doc though....whether other NP's would or wouldn't know how to work up Hodgkins.....she was competant enough to know when to get a doc in there...

Simply wanted to share my experience during a Physical examination (decided to just get a physical because I had this lingering cold and I hadn't had a physical in awhile) the other day by a female who happened to be an FNP. Then she began reading my medical history form......and asked me what Hodgkin’s disease was.... I told her my understanding....She candidly admitted that it wasn't her personal strength and asked how they discovered the condition. May I add that this woman is a seasoned NP and has been the PCP of one of my colleagues for over 5 years. Anyhow, she decided to consult with a physician in the practice (to her credit) about what she should do for follow up with this condition.
Although initially impressed by her thorough physical evaluation, I was amazed at how incompetent she was about medical conditions. …It this typical or would the average NP have been more knowledgeable?

She missed Hodgkin's, what other medical conditions did she miss?
I would also be interested in comparing a NP physical to a MD exam. Have you had a complete by a MD before?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also be interested in comparing a NP physical to a MD exam. Have you had a complete by a MD before?

she didn't miss it. she didn't know what it was.....

IMO she wasn't very bright. Probably went to NP school straight out of nursing school. Now would you like me to tell you what the physician (internal med/occupational med) I work with said about his recent expensive exam by a New York physician? Well, he would have preferred the NP discussed here. :eek:

she did check w/ the doc though....whether other NP's would or wouldn't know how to work up Hodgkins.....she was competant enough to know when to get a doc in there...

isn't the whole point of an NP that they're supposed to consult on complicated cases? i might add i've had several physicians advise my galactosemic son to eat yogurt for an upset stomach. seven to ten years of training and they don't get that a galactosemic can't have dairy? incompetence is a lover to many...

I'm not suggesting incompetence, but question this:

1. Should a family care provider have the ability to screne for Hodgkin's and the like? Lets say I didn't have a history of Hodgkin's Lymphoma, but was her patient before being diagnosed? Shouldn't an NP have the ability to screan and refer appropriatly?

2. Should a family care provider have the ability to ask appropriate questions depending on where the evaluation leads them. (oh, how was it treated, where did you recieve radiation, where there ever any problems with labs, when was your last scan/chest x-ray/ did the oncologist d/c you from his care? When was your diagnosis? Simple stuff?)

3. When a family care provider has somebody with something interesting, should they have the ability to pay special attention to things that might be relevent during the exam? (lets really focus on this because you have this).

Clearly this isn't just about knowing how to do a work-up for a patient with such condition, but simply having the ability to simply suspect it!

Clearly, this is only an isolated incident, but just wondering if NP's on this board would have felt comfortable with a similar situation and known what to do? (or MD/DO/PA's for that matter)?

I can promise you, lawguil, that any PA student on clinical rotations would know what Hodgkin's is, and multiple myeloma, and can differentiate between CML and AML, ALL vs. AML, and tell you a little bit about pathognomonic findings of each, typical age ranges of diagnosis, laboratory findings in certain ones (MM for example), and at least be familiar with initial workup and treatment.
This is the great advantage of PA over NP education: consistency. It helps that we have ONE governing body that sets educational and accreditation standards for programs whereas NP programs are far more variable.
But I do agree that she stepped up to the plate and asked her SP for help, and perhaps she went home and read up on all the lymphomas & leukemias. We can hope.
I have certainly been informed by patients who had rare diseases that I hadn't heard of, and you can bet I researched them afterwards. Fallopian tube CA, for one. That's not common. Some others that escape me at the moment. I freely admit that very uncommon conditions except for the specialty PA are not covered in our didactic program because there simply isn't time in a year to go through pathology in the depth that medical students do. This has always been accepted as the nature of the program, and we do what we're trained to do very well.
For me, though, after doing what I'm trained to do for the past six years, I crave knowledge of all the stuff I still don't know; hence, med school.
Lisa

i will suggest it

someone who never took gross anatomy and has a very rudamentry understanding of even the basics took it upon themselves to grant you a false sense of heath security.

nice

I can promise you, lawguil, that any PA student on clinical rotations would know what Hodgkin's is, and multiple myeloma, and can differentiate between CML and AML, ALL vs. AML, and tell you a little bit about pathognomonic findings of each, typical age ranges of diagnosis, laboratory findings in certain ones (MM for example), and at least be familiar with initial workup and treatment.
This is the great advantage of PA over NP education: consistency.

How can you promise ANY PA STUDENT would know?

i will suggest it

someone who never took gross anatomy and has a very rudamentry understanding of even the basics took it upon themselves to grant you a false sense of heath security.

nice

I prefer the snickers security myself.

aaah, my famous "fat finger, hunt an peck" spell probs!!!!!

didnt get it at first--nice one heath bars!

And I can [false] promise you that any RN (not NP, mind you) covered Hodgkin's in their entry-level pathophysiology class.

Now whether or not they remember that later on, or even know what it looks like clinically, I have no idea. I'll let you know in about 2.5 years.

Seriously, never heard of Hodgkin's? Is this some sort of joke? A drunk that spends their nights in front of the TV watching ER and House would probably of heard of Hodgkin's.

Really, don't ask me how I would know that.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can you promise ANY PA STUDENT would know?

because it is a required component of every pa program and included on our national board exam. before a pa gets to go on clinical rotations they have passed a series of increasingly difficult written, practical, and oral exams. further we are required to recert every 6 yrs on a general medicine based exam regardless of the specialty we practice so a rheumatology or cardiology pa still needs to know their pediatrics/fp/ob/psych/etc to the same standard as someone who works full time in fp.we are also required to do 100 hrs of cme every 2 years to be eligible for retesting every 6.

I agree with this. Hodgkin's isn't as prevalent as breast cancer, but a competent NP should know what it is, especially doing a lymph node check. What are the typical causes of lymph node inflammation? Infection, lymphoma (including Hodgkins and non-Hodgkins) and probably some other things, but mostly the first two. Of course you guys know I'm not an NP, but I would think that would be an important note to take in class!

Well, let me clarify my post: at least all the PA students that I've taught better know what these are as I covered them in depth during a 4-hour Leukocyte Disorders lecture....
;)

Well, let me clarify my post: at least all the PA students that I've taught better know what these are as I covered them in depth during a 4-hour Leukocyte Disorders lecture....
;)

Yes, but are you interesting enough to keep them awake:D

because it is a required component of every pa program and included on our national board exam. before a pa gets to go on clinical rotations they have passed a series of increasingly difficult written, practical, and oral exams. further we are required to recert every 6 yrs on a general medicine based exam regardless of the specialty we practice so a rheumatology or cardiology pa still needs to know their pediatrics/fp/ob/psych/etc to the same standard as someone who works full time in fp.we are also required to do 100 hrs of cme every 2 years to be eligible for retesting every 6.

Exposure to content does not equal a promise. Wouldn't you think a NP would have been exposed at least twice. Once in undergraduate and another time in graduate school. I would also speculate an exposure or two during pathophysiology and with clinical exposure.
Based on what you have said, PAs remember everything they have been exposed to?

The bottom line is - is Hodgkin's Dz a zebra? I don't think so, so the NP should have known it.

PAs and MD/DOs should know it too.

I agree, she should have known.

I think in this case it was a particularly inept NP, not an inept profession.

yeah, I like how everyone ignored my analagous example where none of the physicians my sons see seem to know galactosemics can't have dairy. honestly, if you've taken organic chemistry or microbiology alone you should realize galactose+glucose=lactose and that a galactosemic therefore shouldn't have dairy. So, you have an incompetent NP story, I have an incompetent doctor story, I'm sure someone else has an incompetent PA story. :thumbup: :thumbdown: :sleep:

yeah, I like how everyone ignored my analagous example where none of the physicians my sons see seem to know galactosemics can't have dairy. honestly, if you've taken organic chemistry or microbiology alone you should realize galactose+glucose=lactose and that a galactosemic therefore shouldn't have dairy. So, you have an incompetent NP story, I have an incompetent doctor story, I'm sure someone else has an incompetent PA story. :thumbup: :thumbdown: :sleep:

Smart as one might be, you have to be able to apply the knowledge. I covered a basketball game recently and one of the refs told me that he had been to three physicians about his foot pain. He then told a nurse about his pain and the nurse said, "why don't you change your shoes?" He did and the pain went away. Common sense rules, lol!

Q? Is this a story of a physician who simply overlooked something and made an inappropriate suggestion or a case where the physician didn't know what galactosemia really is? As I understand it, galactosemia typically develops shortly after birth.....who diagnosed the condition in the first place?

Surely, we can all come up with examples of folks who make mistakes or don't know something.... (as I have presented). I simply wanted to better understand whether the typical FNP would have been able to handle my particular scenario without much stress......Thus far, we've heard from MD's and PA's who seem to think that among PA/physician's, its fairly common knowledge and in order to be certified, they are educated and tested in such a way that they're clinically competent in a wide spectrum of conditions, science and pathology before they are considered entry-level. Many have said that the FNP "should have known", but so far an NP hasn't spoken up and said they would have handled this in a similar fashion as the physician, or I would have asked for the MD's help, or FNP's must be clinically competent in this disorder to meet entry level standards.......covering the disease in a nursing course doesn't = clinical competency. I'm just curious why folks speak up and say "she should have known".....do the entry level standards of NP's require this clinical knowledge as does the medical model?

ooookay....

Q? Is this a story of a physician who simply overlooked something and made an inappropriate suggestion or a case where the physician didn't know what galactosemia really is? As I understand it, galactosemia typically develops shortly after birth.....who diagnosed the condition in the first place?

Surely, we can all come up with examples of folks who make mistakes or don't know something.... (as I have presented). I simply wanted to better understand whether the typical FNP would have been able to handle my particular scenario without much stress......Thus far, we've heard from MD's and PA's who seem to think that among PA/physician's, its fairly common knowledge and in order to be certified, they are educated and tested in such a way that they're clinically competent in a wide spectrum of conditions, science and pathology before they are considered entry-level. Many have said that the FNP "should have known", but so far an NP hasn't spoken up and said they would have handled this in a similar fashion as the physician, or I would have asked for the MD's help, or FNP's must be clinically competent in this disorder to meet entry level standards.......covering the disease in a nursing course doesn't = clinical competency. I'm just curious why folks speak up and say "she should have known".....do the entry level standards of NP's require this clinical knowledge as does the medical model?

Actually saying it is covered in class should be enough since the NP didn't have to diagnose your condition...you told her you had it. At that point, book learning should have been enough, which is why your experience is even more tragic.

Missing a diagnosis because you weren't familiar with it enough clinically is one thing, but not understanding a diagnosis that the patient tells you they have is another thing entirely.

I would have to chalk it up to the individual in this case since even a lowly RN-student would be able to either remember what Hodgkin’s disease is, or at least remember where to look it up.

Actually saying it is covered in class should be enough since the NP didn't have to diagnose your condition...you told her you had it. At that point, book learning should have been enough, which is why your experience is even more tragic.

Missing a diagnosis because you weren't familiar with it enough clinically is one thing, but not understanding a diagnosis that the patient tells you they have is another thing entirely.

I would have to chalk it up to the individual in this case since even a lowly RN-student would be able to either remember what Hodgkin’s disease is, or at least remember where to look it up.

I agree.

ok, i see what you're saying. my bad. :oops:

oh, and the doctors (has happened more than once) definately know he has galactosemia. they just don't care enough to apply the information to yogurt. and for the record galactosemia is a genetic disorder that was diagnosed via a newborn screening standard in Pennsylvania. it's his non-medical genetics doctors that can't seem to grasp the simple concept he can't have dairy.

Since you have asked for a reply from an FNP, I'll bite and give you my take on it.

I thought that the weakest area of my FNP program (and it's very well regarded) was oncology. I've thought about this a great deal and I think that it was not covered in great detail because the focus of the program was on what FNP's are within their education/scope of practice to diagnose and manage. Cancer is not within the FNP scope. I know that many people who develop cancer present first to primary care, but they present with symptoms like lymphadenopathy, abnormal labs, lumps or something else that is wrong with them. FNPs do not have to know how to diagnose cancer if they work under the principle that if there are no red flag symptoms and a common explanation would account for the symptoms, then they treat for the common disorder with an understanding that if it fails to improve, then the patient needs to see a generalist or specialist physician.

Now your question was, should the FNP have known? It seems like a loaded question because you clearly think she should have known. I myself know about Hodgkins because I have worked in oncology as an RN and I have worked with many HIV patients who have had lymphoma. Should she have known? I don't know. I do know that it was not at all covered in the program I went to.

So if an FNP doesn't know about Hodgkins, or CML or ALL, how can she or he ensure that they are giving appropriate, good care to the patient?

First, I get a second opinion from my consulting physician for all lymphadenopathy without a reasonable explaination (i.e. clear local infection)

Second, for any patient with explained lymphadenopathy, I let them know that they should follow-up if the node does not reduce with watchful waiting after 3-4 weeks.

Third, FNPs generally know that seeing a patient more than twice for a problem that is not resolving is really out of their scope of practice and opens them up to considerable risk if the problem turns out to be really serious. For example, I would not have been comfortable with six months of conservative treatment for your neck lymphadenopathy before referring to an ENT.

Fourth, FNPs are generally outpatient, primary care providers. We operate under the principle that "common things are common". The oncology patient (even in remission) makes me concerned because there are many sequelae of cancer and the treatment that can occur years later. If I were seeing a patient I didn't know who had a history of cancer, I would consult with a physician to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

So in short (to sum up).

You got to see a physician and you got the appropriate care you needed.

The FNP you saw did not know what Hodgkins was and missed some lymph nodes on exam.

How you perceive this is up to you. I've been to some FNPs who did awful exams and I went to a physician hypotensive with the worst headache of my life and a month of ongoing sinusitis and she sent me home with Nasonex and a decongestant (even though the textbooks say sinusitis >3 weeks is likely bacterial). After suffering through a long weekend with no relief, my FNP coworker said I looked toxic and Rx'd me some Amoxicillin and I was vastly improved in 24 hours.

Perhaps given your oncologic history you would be more comfortable seeing physicians. That's your right as a patient, but I would be cautious before you conclude that the FNP you saw can't do primary care, which is what she was ultimately trained to do.

I would be cautious before you conclude that the FNP you saw can't do primary care, which is what she was ultimately trained to do.

Not to state the obvious, but there are lots of different types of people "doing" primary care these days. The all-important point, however, is whether or not they're doing it well. IMO, this is one of those situations where "good" isn't always good enough. Primary care is deceptively simple...those who think it's easy are probably not doing it right.

Your point is correct that there are many people doing primary care, but there is also the point that there are different levels of primary care.

I've thought about this thread more since I posted and I'll concede that the FNP should have known generally about lymphoma. But I still think that knowing about Hodgkin's versus non-Hodgkins isn't within the scope of an FNP.

With midlevel providers there is a line that has to be drawn about how much they are trained to know and be able to treat. FNPs are not physicians. So where is the line? Everyone on this board is entitled to the opinion that FNPs should know more about oncology than is currently being taught. They are within their rights to write to the state legislative bodies that license FNPs and the national organization that accredits FNP programs and say that they think the current training isn't sufficient. But given that the programs are two years and are already very full, you have to ask what bumping another topic to include this education is going to accomplish.

As a patient, I would feel like I would not want an FNP or a PA to order a fine needle aspiration of a lump or lymph node without my discussing it first with the physician they consulted with. If I had a suspected blood cancer, I would not want my generalist physician to start working it up, I would be on the phone to a hematologist/oncologist working to get myself into their office today if possible.

FNPs are midlevel providers. Basically, there is an algorithm that you are supposed to follow and it goes like this.

Patient presents with red flag symptoms (something highly unusual or potentially a safety concern) = consult an MD

Patient presents with no red flag symptoms but a common disorder does not match their presentation = consult an MD

Patient presents with no red flag symptoms, a presentation that matches a common disorder but then fails the approved treatment for that disorder = consult an MD.

Patient present with a presentation that matches a common disorder, but they have an unusual history that may broaden the differential = consult an MD.

Patients who have something going on that you are not comfortable with (i.e. a disorder you aren't familiar with) = consult an MD

There are many people who post on SDN who do not like FNPs and feel that it is dangerous for them to be in practice. Of course I disagree with this position and feel that the health-care system benefits from FNPs being in practice and seeing mostly healthy patients. Does an OB/GYN need to do an annual pap smear on a healthy patient? Does an internist need to follow a patient with simple blood pressure problems and hyperlipidemia? Does a pediatrician need to do yearly developmental exams on a healthy kid?

As for the OP's concern, could a clinic's patients benefit from having FNPs see people who call wanting a prompt visit who say they have a cold? I've worked in urgent care and many people come in with colds. Not many people come in with colds and lymphadenopathy who have had Hodgkins lymphoma.

I'll return to the statement that FNPs are not physicians. They do not have a residency where they are being exposed to the level of complexity of inpatients that physicians then have in their repertoire to apply to outpatients. They are doing outpatient primary care with healthy people. Or they are in specialty clinics performing a specific role in a team structure that they have been trained to do.

In a healthcare system that seems to be setting money on fire just for the hell of it, FNPs are a cost effective way to help more patients have access to primary care. I'll agree that primary care can be deceptively simple and that it isn't easy. But many patients in primary care do not have the kind of needs that necessitate seeing an MD. And there are requirements that FNPs work with physicians so they have the access in case the patient needs an MD opinion.

Trail Pass, good post :thumbup:

I guess the main concern amongst non-NPs/RNs is the variability of NP programs throughout the country. One program can be strong in didactics and clinical exposure, while others allow one to become an FNP online while working as an RN fulltime (in 2 years). Others are direct-entry FNP that can take people with no RN experience, and teach them RN and FNP in 2-3 years.

As a patient, how would you know that the NP that you are seeing is someone who has numerous years as a RN, followed by a strong FNP program and has been supervised by the physician initially before "being set free to see patients on your own" compare to someone who graduated college with a computer science degree, got laid off, enrolled into a direct-entry master RN/FNP program, get the RN in 2 years, finish the FNP portion in year 3, then works for a physician who doesn't really supervise (or collaborate) and only hired this particular FNP because his/her offering salary is too low for any decent FNP to take? (wow, that's a long run on sentence).

Of course, in both situation, the FNPs had to pass a national certification exam to be a CRNP so I guess there is some quality control involved.

Anyway, trail pass, good post and I agree with most of what you wrote (if not all). Glad to have your perspective :horns:

FNPs are not physicians...They are doing outpatient primary care with healthy people...many patients in primary care do not have the kind of needs that necessitate seeing an MD.

For the record, I am not one of those people who think midlevels should be eliminated. ;)

However, I'm concerned by this fallacy that somehow the only patients who will gravitate towards mid-levels are those without serious occult pathology. There is no reliable way to ensure that this will be the case, and there's a limit to how far we (the U.S. healthcare system) should lower the bar in terms of what we will accept as primary care. After all, if you've never heard of something or don't know how to recognize it, you'll never diagnose it.

Your point is correct that there are many people doing primary care, but there is also the point that there are different levels of primary care.

I've thought about this thread more since I posted and I'll concede that the FNP should have known generally about lymphoma. But I still think that knowing about Hodgkin's versus non-Hodgkins isn't within the scope of an FNP.

This is where I have a problem. If you are seeing patients in a primary care setting you should at least be cognizant with disease processes that you are likely to see. You may not need to draw up a treatment regimen for NHL, but you should know what a disease with a 1:50 incidence looks like.

With midlevel providers there is a line that has to be drawn about how much they are trained to know and be able to treat. FNPs are not physicians. So where is the line? Everyone on this board is entitled to the opinion that FNPs should know more about oncology than is currently being taught. They are within their rights to write to the state legislative bodies that license FNPs and the national organization that accredits FNP programs and say that they think the current training isn't sufficient. But given that the programs are two years and are already very full, you have to ask what bumping another topic to include this education is going to accomplish.\

This is a non starter. If more information needs to be covered then the course needs to be longer. There are NP courses that cover this. Can they be done in 400 to 500 hours, no. Once again if you are working in a broad category you should have a working knowledge of the disease processes you are likely to see.

As a patient, I would feel like I would not want an FNP or a PA to order a fine needle aspiration of a lump or lymph node without my discussing it first with the physician they consulted with. If I had a suspected blood cancer, I would not want my generalist physician to start working it up, I would be on the phone to a hematologist/oncologist working to get myself into their office today if possible.

This does not describe the generalist model. If you are calling the oncologist to get someone in the office with every suspected blood disorder today, you are eventually going to have a hard time getting your calls returned. It is very helpful to get a workup started on the way to a specialist. If the labs are not available on the first specialist visit, you can have significant delays in treatment. Most primary care providers know enough about this to get basic labs or tests.

FNPs are midlevel providers. Basically, there is an algorithm that you are supposed to follow and it goes like this.

Patient presents with red flag symptoms (something highly unusual or potentially a safety concern) = consult an MD

Patient presents with no red flag symptoms but a common disorder does not match their presentation = consult an MD

Patient presents with no red flag symptoms, a presentation that matches a common disorder but then fails the approved treatment for that disorder = consult an MD.

Patient present with a presentation that matches a common disorder, but they have an unusual history that may broaden the differential = consult an MD.

Patients who have something going on that you are not comfortable with (i.e. a disorder you aren't familiar with) = consult an MD

You are making a big assumption here. You obviously work in a state that requires you to have a consulting or supervising physician. However, the hallmark of the NP profession is independent practice. There are a number of states that do not require any physician collaboration. In this case if you are in practice and you do not have a physician to turn to, what do you do? The other part of the equation is the danger of what you don't know. The real danger in medicine is not what you know, but not knowing what you don't know. If you don't have active collaboration with a physician how do you know this?

There are many people who post on SDN who do not like FNPs and feel that it is dangerous for them to be in practice. Of course I disagree with this position and feel that the health-care system benefits from FNPs being in practice and seeing mostly healthy patients. Does an OB/GYN need to do an annual pap smear on a healthy patient? Does an internist need to follow a patient with simple blood pressure problems and hyperlipidemia? Does a pediatrician need to do yearly developmental exams on a healthy kid?

The problem here is making sure that you see only healthy people or people with simple problems. Many patients that present with "common" complaints have anything but simple problems. Also, primary care providers have the hardest job in medicine. In a given encounter time you not only have to figure out the complaint that they came in with, but any problems that they aren't stating. Some one comes in with a common cold and is having a psychotic break. If you fail to pick up on this and the patient commits suicide you're still on the hook. What do you say, it wasn't in my scope of practice so I didn't have to notice it? A non starter for sure.

As for the OP's concern, could a clinic's patients benefit from having FNPs see people who call wanting a prompt visit who say they have a cold? I've worked in urgent care and many people come in with colds. Not many people come in with colds and lymphadenopathy who have had Hodgkins lymphoma.

I'll return to the statement that FNPs are not physicians. They do not have a residency where they are being exposed to the level of complexity of inpatients that physicians then have in their repertoire to apply to outpatients. They are doing outpatient primary care with healthy people. Or they are in specialty clinics performing a specific role in a team structure that they have been trained to do.

In a healthcare system that seems to be setting money on fire just for the hell of it, FNPs are a cost effective way to help more patients have access to primary care. I'll agree that primary care can be deceptively simple and that it isn't easy. But many patients in primary care do not have the kind of needs that necessitate seeing an MD. And there are requirements that FNPs work with physicians so they have the access in case the patient needs an MD opinion.

See above. You are making the assumption that every NP works with physicians and has access to a physician opinion. While I would agree that for dependent practice this is probably safe, I would maintain for independent practice it is not

David Carpenter, PA-C

Third, FNPs generally know that seeing a patient more than twice for a problem that is not resolving is really out of their scope of practice and opens them up to considerable risk if the problem turns out to be really serious. For example, I would not have been comfortable with six months of conservative treatment for your neck lymphadenopathy before referring to an ENT.

Fourth, FNPs are generally outpatient, primary care providers. We operate under the principle that "common things are common". The oncology patient (even in remission) makes me concerned because there are many sequelae of cancer and the treatment that can occur years later. If I were seeing a patient I didn't know who had a history of cancer, I would consult with a physician to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

So in short (to sum up).

You got to see a physician and you got the appropriate care you needed.

The FNP you saw did not know what Hodgkins was and missed some lymph nodes on exam.

I appreciate your honesty! I suspect that many NP's would have been reluctant to accept or admit that oncology is not part of NP education.

I should explain that this developed while I was fairly young in college and I ended up seeing a "chiropractic physician" for approximately a long time before I ended up seeing a real physician. At the time I had no clue about healthcare and neither did the chiropractor....I believe he said that I had a drainage problem and he needed to clear the obstruction......I was ignorant and had no idea that chiropractors weren't doctors. Anyhow, when I saw the "real" doc (DO), he put me on antibiotics, for whatever amount of time and then had me under the knife during my next school vacation....Very proactive.

As an educator, I believe in generalist training (the fundamentals). FNP's are part of the infantry in the front lines of healthcare. I don't understand why the "nursing model" is allowed to circumvent boot camp, hand them a weapon and send them into battle. It's so important to be able to identify the enemy. You can't just assume the enemy is going to come at you yelling, waiving a red flag. You have to be able to anticipate and understand their strategy, their culture, their weapons and equipment, their motivation.

If I understand what you are saying correctly, NP's need not know how to recognize disease or even know a disease exist, but they need to recognize the red flags and refer.

How is this efficient?
How is this safe?
How is this good care?
How is this cost effective?
Why would any reasonable NP support less supervision and oversight from a physician, more autonomy, and the ability to be an independent practitioner? Perhaps nurses should stick to nursing as it were known.

I appreciate your honesty! I suspect that many NP's would have been reluctant to accept or admit that oncology is not part of NP education.

Just FYI...UAB has a palliative care nurse practitioner program

Perhaps nurses should stick to nursing as it were known.

I agree here and think that NP programs should veer more to the healing aspects than curing. That way they would not be incroaching on medicine's realm.

Snip

Patients who have something going on that you are not comfortable with (i.e. a disorder you aren't familiar with) = consult an MD[/B]

If I understand what you are saying correctly, NP's need not know how to recognize disease or even know a disease exist, but they need to recognize the red flags and refer.

How is this efficient?
How is this safe?
How is this good care?
How is this cost effective?
Why would any reasonable NP support less supervision and oversight from a physician, more autonomy, and the ability to be an independent practitioner? Perhaps nurses should stick to nursing as it were known.

Actually this can be very efficent. There is a GAO report on PA's (can't speak for NP's) that shows a PA can handle about 85-90% of what is typically seen in a FP office. If you can have a system that effectively triages patients that need a physician to the physician. Also the mid-levels need to be able to know when to access the physician.

Another model used in specialty practice is co-visit. The mid-level sees the patient initially and then the physician sees the patient after a getting a verbal report. This allows a specialist to see more patients per hour, but is not as efficent than having the mid-level see patients seperately.

While I cannot speak for NP education, I can comment on PA education. If you look at the material covered in PA programs, probably 15% is stuff that you see 90% of the time. The other 85% is stuff that you will rarely if ever see, but cannot afford to miss if you do. I would guess that this is similar to medical school.

The problem I have with this in the concept of mid-level practice is what happens if there is no supervising physician. While I acknowledge that there are PA's that feel constrained by the bounds of supervision, the case you describes is what the supervising physician is there for. If the NP you saw was practicing independently what would have been the outcome.

David Carpenter, PA-C

If the NP you saw was practicing independently what would have been the outcome.

David Carpenter, PA-C

That's difficult to say. Perhaps the NP knew she had limitiations which was why she didn't practice independently. Some of the independently practicing NPs that I have talked to [just a few] were high-speed and worked for several years with supervision before they felt ready to go solo.

Others I have talked to don't ever want to fly solo or [edit: they] work in a hospital / inpatient setting.

I am a nursing student at WSU's ICN and I often find myself questioning the entire field of NPs.
We all came to nursing school to become nurses, and are being taught nursing techniques and how it is different from medicine.
When someone goes to school to become an NP, they are crossing that barrier and beginning to practice medicine, something we are taught from the get-go that a nurse does not do, period.
So I often find myself questioning why someone came up with the NP in the first place, why not direct the resources of NP schools to more PA schools or small medical schools? That way, those who would normally want to become an NP can instead go to a more medically focused school and become a PA or MD/DO.

I am a nursing student at WSU's ICN and I often find myself questioning the entire field of NPs.
We all came to nursing school to become nurses, and are being taught nursing techniques and how it is different from medicine.
When someone goes to school to become an NP, they are crossing that barrier and beginning to practice medicine, something we are taught from the get-go that a nurse does not do, period.
So I often find myself questioning why someone came up with the NP in the first place, why not direct the resources of NP schools to more PA schools or small medical schools? That way, those who would normally want to become an NP can instead go to a more medically focused school and become a PA or MD/DO.

Someone probably thought that by combining nursing with medicine that you would have a winner. However, most NPs...well let me say many...probably just go with the medical model. If you look at all the data about why people visit alternative practitioners, you would think that initially they were on the right track. Sooooo, I personally think that NPs should have more training in "alternative" practices, health promotion, nutrition, ....

And initially, NPs were probably also created to ease physician shortage in rural areas, although that did not always work out as planned.

Anytime a perceived need is there, someone is going to jump in and that is what nurses did. Physicians failed to cover all the bases.

That's why PAs were created, and the first class graduated ...... in "1967".:)

That's difficult to say. Perhaps the NP knew she had limitiations which was why she didn't practice independently. Some of the independently practicing NPs that I have talked to [just a few] were high-speed and worked for several years with supervision before they felt ready to go solo.

Others I have talked to don't ever want to fly solo or [edit: they] work in a hospital / inpatient setting.

That NP knew her limitations, but in theory any NP can practice independently (in states they are allowed to). There are NP's (and PA's for that matter) that are capable of independent practice. How is the public to know who is who? I think that this will actually be the downfall of the minute clinics. They will hire the cheapest labor that they can get, which will be new grads, the very people who should not be working in these clinics. The first time that they misdiagnose an MI as reflux or miss a case of meningitis it will be all over the news. Then you will see how well Wal-mart can take the heat.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Absolutely, but they were not created to replace physicians.

I don't think he said that?

Did I miss that part or where did you get that from?

-Mike

Sorry, that comment just kinda came out of left field and I was trying to figure out how we got into PA and NP's replacing physicians.

I thought we were talking about one individuals qualifications and how that related to the training of midlevels.

I looked back through your posts (and the others) before I posted my last response and I did not see where that comment might have originated and I admit I was puzzled then and still am now.

-Mike