Phtls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pseudoknot

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the PHTLS course this weekend and I was very impressed. I didn't expect the curriculum to be so up-to-date and evidence-based, but it incorporated (to some degree at least) a lot of the latest findings on trauma care (RSI and TBI, permissive hypotension, and use of tourniquets, for example). I also felt like the way they organized the assessment was very useful and much better than the way it is done in the EMT course. It was a great learning experience, and I feel like it pointed out a lot of things for me that were kind of bad habits learned on the street.

I would highly recommend it to those of you who haven't taken it. If you have, I'm curious to know what you thought about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't expect the curriculum to be so up-to-date and evidence-based, but it incorporated (to some degree at least) a lot of the latest findings on trauma care (RSI and TBI, permissive hypotension, and use of tourniquets, for example).
When I took it it didn't have any of that stuff. That was 1996 though:p.

Members don't see this ad :)
having taken both btls and phtls and taught phtls I think btls is a better system with an easier to follow trauma eval which mirrors what is taught in atls, the provider level trauma course.
would recommend you take btls for yourself and see what works for you.

Agreed. I also found BTLS/ITLS very solid and evidence-based. It's good to see EMS courses moving this direction!

Can anyone describe what exactly these courses are about, or how they differ from the trauma assessment/management that is taught in a paramedic program? I have seen this course being offered for CME credits, so I wouldn't mind doing it if it is worth it. Based on the replies, it sounds like it is.

Can anyone describe what exactly these courses are about, or how they differ from the trauma assessment/management that is taught in a paramedic program? I have seen this course being offered for CME credits, so I wouldn't mind doing it if it is worth it. Based on the replies, it sounds like it is.

usually either btls or phtls are included in paramedic school as part of the trauma education.
my program included btls. I took phtls at a later time and also became a phtls instructor but I think btls is a better program. the state I moved to after my initial btls certification only offered phtls at the time so that is why I ended up doing that despite my feeling that it is an inferior course.

Does someone want to throw out what they see as the differences between the two courses?
the btls course requires participants to do a specific exam in a specific order via "parrot phrases" they repeat to the instructor in a specific order( is the airway clear?, what is the rate and quality of respirations?, are there pulses at the neck and wrist?, what is the quality of those pulses?, are the neck veins flat or distended? is the trachea midline or deviated? etc) while examining moulaged pts.
at certain points in the exam you will get feedback and have to do a critical intervention, just like in atls.
phtls says "these are priorities" but doesn't have a specific way in which to accomplish them so it's easy to forget critical steps like looking for jvd or palpating the pelvis from 2 directions if you are allowed to freeform your way through the primary and secondary exam.