Photo for ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

simple issue, but just bothering me.

Asking around to people who have gone though this process already, mainly american grad friends. All of them had senior photos taken with their school.

My school does not do such a thing, Ross.

So do I need to go get a professionally done photograph? (heard $120/30 mins). or is a passport photo ok (wearing suit?)

Members don't see this ad.

My picture came from a picture my wife took of me at a friend's wedding in early September. I'll probably use it for fellowship apps too. Don't stress about it...it's mostly so they can put a face w/ an app later on.

BE (now PE)

Is there a place in ERAS where you can upload the picture or is it attached to the Dean's Letter?

fozzy40 said:
Is there a place in ERAS where you can upload the picture or is it attached to the Dean's Letter?

not for those of us going through the ecfmg. I was trying to find out how to send in my LORs and apparently the same form i send in with my LORs is used to send in the picture as well.

For my photo, I wore a white shirt, a conservative tie and my navy blue suit. Also groomed nicely (not that I'm not usually nicely groomed) and went to a local photo shop and got a 3*5 " photo taken with a white background with a nice big smile showing just how happy I am to be in the application process :rolleyes:

The picture turned out nice and professional and cost about $10 for two copies. I don't think it needs to be a professional photo shoot. Just as long as it looks nice and professional so that the Admissions' commitee sees that you don't look like Tarzan.

As an FMG, to send you LOR you need to provide the LOR cover sheet for FMG's which can be found at the ERAS web site. However, they must be sent from the original letter writers, you just have to make sure you fill out all the info on the LOR cover sheet before giving it to the letter writers.

For the photo, you need to provide a document submission form which can be found at the ECFMG web site. This form, along with the picture (no larger thatn 3*5") needs to be sent directly to ERAS.

I hope this helps.

Hrmm.

about the LORs all of them have just handed me the LOR or made me write my own LORs along the way.

I have them all on letterhead, signed in blue ink if recent, and stamped with the hospital seal. So should I try and get some hospital envelopes and fill out the address and include my cover sheet with it?

not sure exactly what to do...

Bevo said:
Hrmm.

about the LORs all of them have just handed me the LOR or made me write my own LORs along the way.

I have them all on letterhead, signed in blue ink if recent, and stamped with the hospital seal. So should I try and get some hospital envelopes and fill out the address and include my cover sheet with it?

not sure exactly what to do...

Curious - did you sign an attestation that you have waived your right to see the letters? Its not unusual to actually *see* the LORs, but if you send them yourself it sort of invalidates the attestation form. I would provide the envelopes and form to the letter writer and let THEM send it.

Kimberli Cox said:
Curious - did you sign an attestation that you have waived your right to see the letters? Its not unusual to actually *see* the LORs, but if you send them yourself it sort of invalidates the attestation form. I would provide the envelopes and form to the letter writer and let THEM send it.

1 letter - written by me, he signed and read over it. He'd pretty much say no to him actually doing anything more than signing his name to the letter.

2nd LOR - I was handed the letter of recommendation by the medical education director in the hospital. Not sure what I could do about that.

I should have 2 other LORs going in directly from the letter writers. Do I just send in a cover sheet for those even though they already sent them in?

Bevo said:
1 letter - written by me, he signed and read over it. He'd pretty much say no to him actually doing anything more than signing his name to the letter.

2nd LOR - I was handed the letter of recommendation by the medical education director in the hospital. Not sure what I could do about that.

I should have 2 other LORs going in directly from the letter writers. Do I just send in a cover sheet for those even though they already sent them in?

I'm not sure what you mean by "cover letter" - are you referring to the attestation or does ERAS or ECFMG now have a form cover letter which you are to send in with each letter? In the old days, only the attestation accompanied the letters.

I agree there's not much you can do if a letter writer makes you write the letter or hands it to you - as I noted, its not uncommon. But my point was that if you send the letters and have waived the right to see them, someone paying attention might note that the letters are sent from your home town rather than Ross's Dean's office.

Cover letter for img?s just has the date, letter writer name, applicant name and aamc id at the top. instructions for the lor and a statement below stating whether I waive my right or not to view the letter of rec and the mailing address.

For the one I wrote myself I wouldn't see the point in waiving the lor.

Waiting to hear back from ross on this point. If I should bulk mail the letters to them and have them send it in (asuming it doesn't get lost in the mail...)

appreciate the help. I've been hesitant about having anyone send anything to Ross because of things getting lost at times and I remember somewhere back in time that they had said something about not giving them originals I believe. A friend had 4 LORs sent directly to the school, they said they only had 1 on file last week.

photo : found a friend who does wedding photography to take some quick pics. So that problem be solved.

I know things can be pretty confusing.

If you want to be absolutely safe you must have the original letter writers send in the letter themselves and include the covers sheet (the one ECFMG requires) with the letter. The cover sheet needs to be filled out beforehand by yourself with your name, AAMC number, etc. plus your signature that you are waiving the right to see your letter, if that is the case.

Dr. Cox makes a good point, you don't want to raise any red flags which can bite you in the behind later on. I know the whole LOR thing can be shady, many people say they waive their right but really don't, some write their own letters, etc. But just be careful.

My school, SGU, made it crystal clear that they will not be sending any letters to ERAS. The letters that they receive will only be for the Dean's letter.

I know this probably just made things more confusing, but I'm not really sure how to answer your questions.