Phosphoric Acid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsDO15

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a question for all you bright medical school students...hope someone can help me...
Why does phosphoric acid have an important role in biological systems?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Phosphoric is part of one of your blood buffer systems. You have your major bicarb buffer system, you have your blood proteins, and you have your phosphoric acid H2PO4- and HPO3-- system. It is important in the tubular fluids of the kidneys.

Look in an acid base physio book (or in Guyton and Hall--my favorite source) for more info:)

The relevance of this answer to your question really depends on what forms of phosphoric acid you are refering to.
The largest percentage of a form of phosphoric acid, I understand, is in the form Pi (Inorganic Phosphate), which is essential for nucleic acid synthesis, is a component of ATP, and makes up70 % of bone tissue.
Inorganic phosphate also is important in the maintenance of the Calcium/phosphorous homeostasis, which is regulated by reservoirs of calcium and phosphorous in the bones, intake of these substances in the GI tract and expulsion from the kidney.
If your question reguards soft drinks, studies have indicated that the phosphoric acid levels from drinking to many soft drinks may lead to osteoperosis and may amplify other bone loss disorders.

:D My apollogies for the brain dump I just left on your computer:p

Thanks for all of your responses...I actually posed the wrong question...I should have asked why phosphoric acid is used as oppossed to other molecules for various metabolic reactions within the human body....the correct answer I found out was actually quite simple...it is due to its resonance.
Thanks again everyone!