PhORCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if you're having technical phorcas issues, just try using IExplorer

it doesn't work in google chrome
it works fine when i click it in IE, it let's you download the file and open with pdf reader

Thanks. I had tried this right after I posted and it worked. You have to pick a PDF Reader to open the files but they open with no problem. I'm working myself up over nothing even after it's over.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree, but in my case I had to do a little bit of extra research before being 100% on the ball.

I just wanted to report to everyone about transcripts. Mine was mailed on 12-14. As the 2nd, nothing was posted. I emailed them and they emailed me a standard copy paste off the faq. I asked them again TODAY about the transcript and I was told they would check but nothing was there as of right now (this is still via email because after 1.5hrs of ringing, no one was answering the phone).

By 4pm, I saw my transcript was posted with a date received of 12-27. In other words, they had this for a few days before finally posting. So if any of you are worried, just know that it takes them time to update it in their system...a lot of time.

Good luck!

:thumbup:

another post on transcripts:
sent mine in 12/21, just today it showed as received 12/27.

good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I successfully submitted 5 apps yesterday (even though my transcripts are not yet in)
Trying in to turn in the rest today and I keep getting "Please attach required documentation to new designation(s) and then make payment." All the required documentation is already attached!!!! Idk what to do. One of the deadlines is 01/04, I tried Internet explorer, fire fox my cell phone and nothing works.

So I successfully submitted 5 apps yesterday (even though my transcripts are not yet in)
Trying in to turn in the rest today and I keep getting "Please attach required documentation to new designation(s) and then make payment." All the required documentation is already attached!!!! Idk what to do. One of the deadlines is 01/04, I tried Internet explorer, fire fox my cell phone and nothing works.
just a guess here, did you try deleting it and then adding all of the documentation again?

2/3 of my preceptors did not upload their LOR. I have submitted 5 applications so far. If they add the document now would it show up? Or do I have to send a new link and then put the link into the reference box for each site? Ugh!

yikes, i have 1 more I have to do, but I hope I don't get stuck with that...email them and call at 9am. Let us know what happens.

2/3 of my preceptors did not upload their LOR. I have submitted 5 applications so far. If they add the document now would it show up? Or do I have to send a new link and then put the link into the reference box for each site? Ugh!

if those were attached on the 5 apps you should be OK. When they submit it will update.

I just submitted my apps and I'm not going to lie...I had a moment's hesitation where I thought...Do I really need a residency? Should I even be doing this residency? Maybe I should choose another residency? and so on...damn it all. Goodbye $400.

yikes, i have 1 more I have to do, but I hope I don't get stuck with that...email them and call at 9am. Let us know what happens.

if those were attached on the 5 apps you should be OK. When they submit it will update.

I just submitted my apps and I'm not going to lie...I had a moment's hesitation where I thought...Do I really need a residency? Should I even be doing this residency? Maybe I should choose another residency? and so on...damn it all. Goodbye $400.

Dang, you applied to that many programs??

Same here. Money, or rather the lack of it, has been a huge factor during this process.

So problem fixed. Turns out that for some reason my CV section was blank even though on my screen it showed up as uploaded. This even affected the other 5 programs I submitted my application for, so technically those were incomplete as well. But problem fixed deadlines met, now we watch and pray.

So problem fixed. Turns out that for some reason my CV section was blank even though on my screen it showed up as uploaded. This even affected the other 5 programs I submitted my application for, so technically those were incomplete as well. But problem fixed deadlines met, now we watch and pray.
glad that worked out, odd error

I don't understand why it forced me to partake in the match...i don't want to join the match unless I have a couple interviews. What if i end up having none? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
This is on the PhORCAS facebook page:
Concerned about your transcripts posting to your account? If you had your transcripts sent during the winter holidays, please note that it can take up to 10 Business Days to post to your account and that our offices were closed on December 24, 25, 31 and January 1. Given the amount of transcripts we are receiving, we are unable to search for individual documents. We appreciate your patience as we work to process these documents as quickly as possible.

I'm not even dead-set on ambulatory care anymore. I like the work done in am care, but I dislike the excessive amount of note-writing (much more so than in acute care). I'm applying to both inpatient and outpatient positions. Unfortunately the VA is not hiring much nowadays. Our VA is currently not hiring. USAjobs has some positions at other VAs, but not too many. Besides, most of those places have their own residents.

arrgh, VA usually take the most residents too lol really interested in hearing how your job searching goes

also anyone know if you can change your supplemental materials after you already submitted? Im guessing not, but just want to make sure

arrgh, VA usually take the most residents too lol really interested in hearing how your job searching goes

also anyone know if you can change your supplemental materials after you already submitted? Im guessing not, but just want to make sure
no it makes it very clear when you submit that you CANNOT CHANGE anything you submit...

no it makes it very clear when you submit that you CANNOT CHANGE anything you submit...

From the applicant's perspective, you CAN change things such as LOR and supplemental documents, despite the warning. Other posters have questioned whether program directors can see the updated versions, and I don't know the answer to that.

From the applicant's perspective, you CAN change things such as LOR and supplemental documents, despite the warning. Other posters have questioned whether program directors can see the updated versions, and I don't know the answer to that.

phorcas.JPG

this is all i know...

Reviewed a chunk of applications this afternoon...notes for future applications...

Please fill out the actual sections of Phorcas instead of just using your CV. We can sort when there is nothing there and that makes you get over looked.

Overall Phorcas has not increased the # of apps for our program very much. Last yr we had about 95 complete apps and this yr it is just over 100.

So I know the best way to answer this question is to ask the programs but, I have 4 apps with the deadline now passed and my transcript was never uploaded by phorcas. So am I out of consideration?

So I know the best way to answer this question is to ask the programs but, I have 4 apps with the deadline now passed and my transcript was never uploaded by phorcas. So am I out of consideration?

I don't think so, but would depend on the program. My program for exampe, will review your application, but won't offer an interview until we get the document because your grades factor into our screening process.

Phorcas will show that you submitted all your items, but are just missing the transcript. Your application will show up in a pool labeled "submitted - pending completion." When Phorcas uploads the transcript your application will automatically move to the "Completed" pool.

Reviewed a chunk of applications this afternoon...notes for future applications...

Please fill out the actual sections of Phorcas instead of just using your CV. We can sort when there is nothing there and that makes you get over looked.

Overall Phorcas has not increased the # of apps for our program very much. Last yr we had about 95 complete apps and this yr it is just over 100.
Really? That's interesting. I'm sure I can't edit it now but I just felt that it was counterproductive after putting so much effort into my CV...

Really? That's interesting. I'm sure I can't edit it now but I just felt that it was counterproductive after putting so much effort into my CV...

We looked at those candidates as lazy...not what we want in a resident. If it is important to you, you'd spend the extra time to fill out all the application sections. Again programs may see this differently, but this was decided upon by our director who likes things done thoroughly. We had over 100 applications, so it seemed like an easy way to weed people out.

We also used that section to sort applications so those with nothing filled out the candidate did not show up on our lists.

phorcas.JPG

this is all i know...

yeah I read that part too when I submitted, but you can still edit which forms you can attach to the programs after, so I wasn't sure if the programs can see any changes... the reason I asked b/c I couldnt get a PDF to upload and just emailed it to them but haven't heard anything back but then I was finally able to upload it 2 days ago =/

Woohooo!!! Transcript sent out on 12/21 finally posted today! Looks like PhORCAS is working over the weekend :)

I don't think so, but would depend on the program. My program for exampe, will review your application, but won't offer an interview until we get the document because your grades factor into our screening process.

Phorcas will show that you submitted all your items, but are just missing the transcript. Your application will show up in a pool labeled "submitted - pending completion." When Phorcas uploads the transcript your application will automatically move to the "Completed" pool.

Hey KARM, What was your cut-off for GPA... Out of curiosity?

Throughout the whole time that I was filling this section out, I felt the same... "WHYYYY" am I putting so much time into this section when they can read my CV... But nevertheless, I completed each leadership position/volunteer/awards... etc. Glad that I sent my stuff in on 1/1/13.

Hey KARM, What was your cut-off for GPA... Out of curiosity?

3.2 for initial screen, will go to 3.0 if not enough candidates...historically candidates who match have over a 3.4/3.5 at our program. Everyone is different.

Don't know about you, but my CV didn't have 650 character descriptions of my positions.

Throughout the whole time that I was filling this section out, I felt the same... "WHYYYY" am I putting so much time into this section when they can read my CV... But nevertheless, I completed each leadership position/volunteer/awards... etc. Glad that I sent my stuff in on 1/1/13.

For me, I couldn't fit everything I wanted to say into these sections. I remember for at least 1 question, I had to say "please refer to CV" because I didn't want to give a partial answer. Hope that's better than just leaving it blank....

For me, I couldn't fit everything I wanted to say into these sections. I remember for at least 1 question, I had to say "please refer to CV" because I didn't want to give a partial answer. Hope that's better than just leaving it blank....

Your description exceeded the amount allowable through PhORCAS?

3.2 for initial screen, will go to 3.0 if not enough candidates...historically candidates who match have over a 3.4/3.5 at our program. Everyone is different.

:idea:

How are your interviews conducted? are they meant to intimidate candidates, or are they more to see how the candidate is "off paper"... I know each residency program is different, but if you can shed some light on your program.

Also, Any advice as a potential PGY1 Candidate as far as interviews are concerned?

Lastly, what are some action's or behaviors that would turn off residency directors during an interview? Or on the flip side, Things that would impress?

:confused:

You can PM me your response if you'd like, as there may be some potential sensitive information.

:idea:

How are your interviews conducted? are they meant to intimidate candidates, or are they more to see how the candidate is "off paper"... I know each residency program is different, but if you can shed some light on your program.

Also, Any advice as a potential PGY1 Candidate as far as interviews are concerned?

Lastly, what are some action's or behaviors that would turn off residency directors during an interview? Or on the flip side, Things that would impress?

:confused:

You can PM me your response if you'd like, as there may be some potential sensitive information.

We have our candidates interview with our program director, pharmacy managers, preceptors, residents... We ask for a short 30mn presentation, eat lunch with resident, take a tour

We do not try to intimidate candidates (we are also trying to sell ourselves) - more to see how they communicate off paper as above. Communication is the key - can you articulate a response that is thoughtful and appropriate. We've had great matched residents who are ESL and speak with accents- as long as other HCPs or patients will understand your message.

Be yourself- don't be overbearing or too shy. Come off warm and friendly.

Reasons that get a candidate unranked = can't communicate well, unprofessional/not serious enough, say bizzare answers (don't tell me how you got into a fist fight with another student...), answers are unintelligent

well, regardless of how a site feels about that section, i'm standing firm to my decision not to fill it out. That option was not there in previous years and I see no reason to fill it out.

If i'm not chosen for a residency because I did not fill it out, then that would be a serious blow. I feel like that's a site's method of taking the easy way out, not the other way around. No where was it specified as a "requirement" to fill out the extracurricular section. There were a few set "requirements" for each program, if all those are submitted within the phorcas portal then I see nothing wrong with what I did.

It's sad to hear that so much effort was wasted because a section was not filled out...

Don't know about you, but my CV didn't have 650 character descriptions of my positions.
explain to me how those are important?

If i had webmaster as a position, how important would it be for me to insert what I did as webmaster. If there's something interesting, they'll ask you about it at the interview. Your description won't be the reason you get a residency.

well, regardless of how a site feels about that section, i'm standing firm to my decision not to fill it out. That option was not there in previous years and I see no reason to fill it out.

If i'm not chosen for a residency because I did not fill it out, then that would be a serious blow. I feel like that's a site's method of taking the easy way out, not the other way around. No where was it specified as a "requirement" to fill out the extracurricular section. There were a few set "requirements" for each program, if all those are submitted within the phorcas portal then I see nothing wrong with what I did.

It's sad to hear that so much effort was wasted because a section was not filled out...

But was saving an hr really worth the chance?

But was saving an hr really worth the chance?
honestly, I did not even think it was anything to worry about until now.

It definitely wasn't worth the chance, I just didn't realize it was such an important factor! ahhhh now i feel like **** lol.

I guess there's always retail/ next year.

We have our candidates interview with our program director, pharmacy managers, preceptors, residents... We ask for a short 30mn presentation, eat lunch with resident, take a tour

We do not try to intimidate candidates (we are also trying to sell ourselves) - more to see how they communicate off paper as above. Communication is the key - can you articulate a response that is thoughtful and appropriate. We've had great matched residents who are ESL and speak with accents- as long as other HCPs or patients will understand your message.

Be yourself- don't be overbearing or too shy. Come off warm and friendly.

Reasons that get a candidate unranked = can't communicate well, unprofessional/not serious enough, say bizzare answers (don't tell me how you got into a fist fight with another student...), answers are unintelligent

As far as communication... I know I have those skills... but the only thing is that sometimes I maybe a bit of a perfectionist as far as trying to get every question correct... I know that is not possible, otherwise I wouldn't be potentially partaking in a residency. But are people penalized for not knowing a clinical question?...

Also...

What is the proper etiquette on responding to a question that was asked that you have no idea too? and how badly does that negatively impact the candidate?

Ok I am in a panic mode right now. I made some changes in my LOI so I went on phorcas, deleted the old one, tried to upload the new version, and got an error message every time :(

If an application is missing a LOR but has the reference's form completed, does it show up as "completed" application on your end or "submitted - pending completion"? I ask as one of my LORs was not uploaded but all of the form questions were completed.

PhORCAS can tell you if a letter has been uploaded or not. The first time I called, they said they couldn't tell me. They were just like "If they said they uploaded it, it is uploaded". I just called back and spoke with someone else after I heard they got their technical problems resolved. The person I then spoke with said my reference writers uploaded a letter or not.

This is really unfortunate that they changed their stance (as it has added to the chaos). I didn't call as I saw your earlier post. One of my LORs had issues being uploaded but completed the form questions so it showed up as completed on my end. I ended up getting an email from a RPD regarding my application being incomplete this week. The RPD noted that phorcas has been quite problematic and it was understandable that one of the letters had issues. So I emailed my LOR writer and they very kindly took it upon themselves not only to look at phorcas (which considering I had already submitted and was past deadline on most programs, I believe it wouldnt allow uploading at that point anyway from what Ive seen in past posts) but they emailed each program individually the LOR to the RPD. While this might seem like an unfortunate problem on my end, I think the fact my LOR is a RPD and has it in their email signature will speak volumes to the programs about the issue being phorcas related. Or at least that's what I'm hoping (that and the email doesn't get lost in the flood of emails).

If I've gathered anything from this experience (other than Phorcas is junk), I have found people (my lor writers and my mentor) are really kind in helping you achieve your dreams whenever they have the opportunity to do so. Here's to hoping I can pay it forward one day :thumbup:

I have no doubt that many programs will be understanding and might offer some degree of flexibility regarding the PhorCAS issues. That said applicants need to be proactive and try to solve issues that come up, not just hope for the best.

I remember dealing with this as a job applicant after finishing residency. It was annoying to deal with the extra time but I assumed HR looked for specific buzzwords and would view "please refer to CV" as lazy.

As residency applicants you know that there are many competitive candidates vying for positions at the same places as you. Avoid doing anything that can get your application overlooked.

As far as communication... I know I have those skills... but the only thing is that sometimes I maybe a bit of a perfectionist as far as trying to get every question correct... I know that is not possible, otherwise I wouldn't be potentially partaking in a residency. But are people penalized for not knowing a clinical question?...

Also...

What is the proper etiquette on responding to a question that was asked that you have no idea too? and how badly does that negatively impact the candidate?

Our progam asks mostly behavioral based questions..."Tell me about a time when -----" For these there really isn't a right or wrong answer.

For the presentation we may ask questions and my best advice if you don't know the answer - say what you do know and where you would find the information that you do not know. For example if it is an antibiotic question about HAP and you can't remember what drugs - "I know there is a concern for MDR pathogens, including pseudomonas- so I would use the hospital antibiogram to help aid my decision in empiric therapy."

If an application is missing a LOR but has the reference's form completed, does it show up as "completed" application on your end or "submitted - pending completion"? I ask as one of my LORs was not uploaded but all of the form questions were completed.

:

It would show up as complete because Phorcas does not require an additional document be uploaded.

I remember dealing with this as a job applicant after finishing residency. It was annoying to deal with the extra time but I assumed HR looked for specific buzzwords and would view "please refer to CV" as lazy.

As residency applicants you know that there are many competitive candidates vying for positions at the same places as you. Avoid doing anything that can get your application overlooked.
yea i see it as a lesson learned.

oh well, move forward regardless.

for the EC portion of phorcas, did you guys put presentations that were done on rotations? It stated only to put local, state and national presentations.

for the EC portion of phorcas, did you guys put presentations that were done on rotations? It stated only to put local, state and national presentations.

No, I only put presentations done on the local, state, and national levels. The presentations I gave on rotations are in my CV but since PhORCAS specifically stated what should be included in that section, I did not put rotation stuff in the EC section.

I am not sure if you guys had this problem before. I was able to upload my stuffs and submitted applications for 2 programs (after going through so many problems of course). I tried to submit another application (deadline on the 1/10) today and got an error telling me to pay the fee first. The fee is 0 obviously. There were no pop up windows for credit card information either. I can wait till tomorrow but if there's a way to solve this, I rather go ahead and do it.

Thank guys!

Anyone noticing changing deadline dates in phorcas? It seems as thought programs are extending their deadlines maybe due to problems with phorcas? I'm just wondering if this is happening with other programs. I've emailed the RD to confirm the real deadline, but I plan on submitting tonight anyway.