Phone interview for a PIC/ownership position in a few days. Advice and comments appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justjoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The benefit package is lucrative, much better than at my current job. There is a regional chain that bought out an independent and they are hiring for a pharmacy manager. I got a phone interview. I have seven years of retail experience. Never been a PIC.

I think they are desperate for a PIC. They are also looking for the PIC to eventually have some kind of ownership stake in the pharmacy. The pharmacy is in a small town of about 1500 people and is the only pharmacy in the area.

Any comments or advice for this situation? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Something smells if they are basically giving it away.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a PIC in a rural area, it doesn't sound so strange to me that they would struggle to find a PIC - the two jobs people don't want are PIC jobs and rural jobs. When I applied for my job, there were a lot of unemployed pharmacists hunting around for staff jobs but I was one of only two applicants for this position.

Walmart also talks about having "ownership mentality" over the pharmacy but you don't own ****.

Why would a chain, regional or otherwise, give you an ownership stake?

I would seriously consider it. If the only thing that holds you back is being a PIC, working full time as a staff at an independent is basically doing everything that a PIC does except people don't take you seriously because you "are not the manager." And working as a PIC at an independent is doing everything that the owner does except people don't take you seriously because you "are not signing their paychecks."

Hmm most of fishy PIC offers I had always offered no benefit. If they are giving you good benefit package including health insurance and paid vacation under W2 employment, I can`t imagine they can be that bad.

Stay away from being part of ownership or sharing profit until your are absolutely sure. The money might feel sweet but it comes with so much more liability.

Doesn't sound fishy to me. You're saying this pharmacy is part of a chain and is the only pharmacy in the area... I'm sure they just want someone to get the ball rolling so they can start generating revenue. I wouldn't even focus my attention on the ownership part; its probably just a way to get some kind of commitment with the company for long-term growth